Needing some advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureAuD29

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm starting my first semester in the Masters program at KSU for SLP and I dislike it a lot. My main interest is hearing loss, and Audiology is the field I really want to be in.

I did apply at the Northeast Ohio Consortium (KSU/Akron) for entrance Fall 2008 but got denied. My undergrad GPA from Kent is decent (3.6) but I attended Pharmacy school my freshman year and only received a 2.5..which brought my average way down, despite the school being much harder than the average state university. My GRE score was decent as well, over a 1000. I'm looking to apply again for an Au.D. program, but I do not want to go too far away from home (which is why I only applied to NOAC earlier this year).

What can I do to increase my chances of getting into school for next year? I also am struggling with whether I should keep going in the SLP program, or leave it after this semester and take a semester off. I'm very distraught right now about what I should do. Any advice would be very much appriciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings!

I hope I can give you insight with your concern....

Students decide either pursing Speech Path or Audiology during their undergraduate years, usually around clinical observations. During this time, they understand what the respective field requires and make their preference to further pursue that said career. In assuming that you did your clinical observations, did you dislike speech before or after starting the grad program? Maybe you were not introduced to all settings where SLPs work (we do work in interesting places)? My point is, don't continue what you don't like! IMO, it's still early in the program to withdraw (there were people in my program who did). It only gets harder from here. It's better to exit early, then be too deep in the program and still not like it! That would be a rough two years! And the AuD program is not easier!

To me, it sounds as if your unsure to do either program. I totally agree with your decision to take some time off. However, will you be OK with yourself taking the time off? Give yourself enough time to take a step back, and really decide what do you see yourself doing in 4yrs.? During this "off" time, boost your academic resume; get a research assistant position, take a few classes to increase your GPA, talk to some SLPs and Audiology professionals, and do something outside the academic realm. This way, you would be a stronger candidate in any program you decide.

Best of luck!