Needing a little advice on what path to take..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Evangeline

i can and i will :)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone :)

I've been a silent reader for awhile now and decided to make a post. I'm sort of in a dilemma. I'm currently an undergraduate student and will be a senior this year and will be graduating.

Now I feel like I totally screwed up my college year, but I am really determined to pull off my last year really well. My current GPA is ATROCIOUS (2.57....) and I've retaken Chemistry to get the same grade as the first time (C-), I've withdrawn from Physics and have a W on my transcript, but I've taken it again and got an A in both Physics I and Physics II. I have another W from Philosophy (I was idiotic and didn't pull out of the class soon enough -_-), I've retaken Calc twice and got a B the second time around. I've gotten a D+ in genetics because...I did horribly on the final. I used my AP credit from high school (I got a 5) to get exempt from Bio I, but I got an A in Bio II. Plus some other horrendous grades (mostly Cs).

The point is, I've done horribly academically. However, I really focused and even to my amazement I pulled off a 39 MCAT. And did well in Physics (I got a W for Physics I, and then 2 As for Physics I and II) and Organic Chemistry (B+ the first semester and A- the second semester, with A- and B+ the first and second semesters for the laboratory components).

I'm having trouble deciding what to do after my undergraduate years. I'm currently volunteering and I have extracurriculars and hobbies under my belt.

The things is, I can't decide if I should apply to a special masters program (I really wanted to apply to the Tufts special masters program) or go to an post-bac (like Harvard Extension School) to retake Chemistry and maybe also Biology II since I opted out of the first semester due to my AP credit.

Can someone give me their suggestions as to what path would be best for me? And also is taking 2 years off after undergrad a bad thing to do? And I was also thinking, maybe take the first year off to retake Chemistry (and perhaps Bio) at a post-bac school and then do the special masters program the year after? Or do you think it would be best to focus my efforts into doing well at the post-bac for one year and then try to do a special masters program the year I apply to medical school?

Any tips and suggestions would be great, especially from those who were in a similar situation (academically that is). :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think the SMP or post-bac are all good and continue to add the ECs and LOR possibilities.

Here's the thing about the SMP and post-bac though. You must ace it. I mean really commit yourself to getting all A's. The story you're trying to sell to adcoms is that your undergrad was an aberration or youthful indiscretion that you're now past. The only way to make that story stick is to present them with two years of perfection on your transcript that says "yes, I can juggle a complicated plate and still excel academically."

So there's hope but commit yourself to crafting the best scenario for yourself as you can. And look on the bright side, that MCAT score is outta sight!

Yes, I have to agree with you. I just spent many hours perusing through all of the threads on special masters programs, and I think i'm going to, for now at least, forgo taking a post-bacc program and just directly doing a SMP (hopefully).

And the one thing that I noticed that a lot of people don't take into consideration is that, I will need to like superbly uberly ace the program--or else I am going to have to think about a career change (which I don't want to :eek::scared:).

Thank you for your advice :p

Members don't see this ad :)
My opinion is that you need 2 years of stellar academic performance. Your transcript and post read like someone who is highly intelligent but highly scattered. Sadly, that person is likely to get crushed in med school or crushed in residency or somewhere along the line. Analytical skills and intelligence help tremendously, but they play second fiddle to organization and stability every time.

@ thoffen: thank you so much for pointing that out. i never looked at it in that way. but now it seems so blatantly obvious, that i don't understand why i just never saw it that way. i think i'm going to start focusing on time management and also focusing on keeping at it even if i start to feel i can make do without a semi-rigid study schedule...

thanks again :D

@ thoffen: thank you so much for pointing that out. i never looked at it in that way. but now it seems so blatantly obvious, that i don't understand why i just never saw it that way. i think i'm going to start focusing on time management and also focusing on keeping at it even if i start to feel i can make do without a semi-rigid study schedule...

thanks again :D

I'm glad you are grateful & humble. Sorry if I am being too critical. Most people would spit my words back at me. The attitude at least shows you have the ability to overcome your weaknesses.

Good luck!