Need your opinions on a University.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KruZnn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm facing the very daunting decision of choosing a medical university to further continue my education. I'm an Australian citizen and completed a degree in Advanced Medical Science at the University of western Sydney; now known as western Sydney university. I've completed many research projects along the way and now sit on a Gpa of 5.85 on the 7 scale.
I have never sat the mcat as transferring to an overseas university was never an intention. I have however sat the Gamsat which is Australia's medical admissions test. This is my major hurdle and what is stopping me from being accepted in Aussie schools. I'm willing to continue trying but in the case of me transferring overseas, what universities do people recommend?
I have read about few uni's in Europe (Czech, Poland) however I would place this in my bottom category.
There is also Singapore which is highly recognised around the world however very costly.
Malaysia (IMU and NuMed seem to be the most appealing)
I know the Philippines was a fairly popular choice back in the days but I'm not quite so sure as of late. Feedback on the present would be appreciated. I know they are very cheap and had a good history in matching students. Thus seeming like an efficient choice.
India: Haven't done much research on.. But from what I gather, it's quite difficult. By no means a worry to me. I'm prepared.

And lastly, the Caribbeans. As I previously mentioned, I have never sat the mcat. Saba university doesn't seem to place this as a core requirement (unless you're from the states/Canada). I'm willing to sit this test by any means when it becomes available to me.

Returning to Australia to practice is my most favoured option of course. I'm also willing to practice in the uk and the us/Canada in that order.

What are your opinions?

Ps.
Do not tell me to keep trying Australian universities, please.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I'm facing the very daunting decision of choosing a medical university to further continue my education. I'm an Australian citizen and completed a degree in Advanced Medical Science at the University of western Sydney; now known as western Sydney university. I've completed many research projects along the way and now sit on a Gpa of 5.85 on the 7 scale.
I have never sat the mcat as transferring to an overseas university was never an intention. I have however sat the Gamsat which is Australia's medical admissions test. This is my major hurdle and what is stopping me from being accepted in Aussie schools. I'm willing to continue trying but in the case of me transferring overseas, what universities do people recommend?
I have read about few uni's in Europe (Czech, Poland) however I would place this in my bottom category.
There is also Singapore which is highly recognised around the world however very costly.
Malaysia (IMU and NuMed seem to be the most appealing)
I know the Philippines was a fairly popular choice back in the days but I'm not quite so sure as of late. Feedback on the present would be appreciated. I know they are very cheap and had a good history in matching students. Thus seeming like an efficient choice.
India: Haven't done much research on.. But from what I gather, it's quite difficult. By no means a worry to me. I'm prepared.

And lastly, the Caribbeans. As I previously mentioned, I have never sat the mcat. Saba university doesn't seem to place this as a core requirement (unless you're from the states/Canada). I'm willing to sit this test by any means when it becomes available to me.

Returning to Australia to practice is my most favoured option of course. I'm also willing to practice in the uk and the us/Canada in that order.

What are your opinions?

Ps.
Do not tell me to keep trying Australian universities, please.
1) Ok, how about trying New Zealand universities then? ;)

2) On a serious note, why not keep trying Australian med schools? Given the med student tsunami, etc, there may no longer be a need for IMGs by the time you graduate from med school? I'm not saying it'd be impossible for you to get back to Australia, but it's going to be a very tough road back.

3) It'd probably be more difficult for you to get back to Australia as a graduate of a Caribbean, Philippino or Eastern European med school than it would be getting into an Australian med school as an Australian citizen. In other words, you have to pay the toll one way or the other -- either in trying to get into med school or in trying to get back into Australia from overseas. In my opinion, the toll is a lot cheaper for you in trying to get in as an Aussie citizen to an Aussie med school than it is in trying to get back into Australia from Saba or a similar med school.

4) Why not apply to your uni for med school i.e. the Uni of Western Sydney? I know it doesn't have the same reputation as USyd or other unis in Sydney, but I assume it'd be less competitive to get into UWS than USyd, and I've met a few UWS graduates and they seem competent as physicians. You may need to improve your GPA somehow, perhaps do a second bachelor's degree in med sci, and can't you re-sit the GAMSAT and use the higher score?

5) As for the UK, there's a huge flood of doctors from the UK trying to get to Australia! The NHS pays physicians far less and works than far more than Australia. It's only getting worse for UK physicians, unfortunately.

6) If you don't have US or Canadian citizenship or PR, then you're probably going to have an even harder time getting into residency training after med school. And the US is graduating heaps of med students too, more than there are residency spots, which is only going to get worse by the time you graduate.

Reactions: 1 user
Great feedback and I do really appreciate it, but I'm honestly trying to get accepted in Aus/Nz universities. However, it's not easy. My Gpa suffices but it's the Gamsat/umat issue. I will never give up, but time is being wasted as I've been trying for 3 years now. I will continue trying. But for now, I feel I should Pursue other options. I'm fully prepared to go through the troubles of matching post graduating. I know it's possible and it will be done. Hence I need information for alternatives outside Australia.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't comment on too many places because I've only done my research in the places that tickle my fancy, but if you went to the Caribbean and landed a residency in the States and passed your boards, you'd probably have decent odds of coming back home depending on your field. To help narrow your choices, I'd suggest ruling out places you don't feel you'd be comfortable living in. I'm a Canadian who'll soon go to an Australian school, so I know what it's like to make the decision to leave home. But in all the stress, you have to enjoy the journey and not let the pressure of med school acceptance compromise other factors in your life. I've spoken to one of my TAs who did his master's at a reputable school in Sweden, then hated those two years because of culture shock and the people he met.

I like the "never give up" attitude you have; someone told me to think that way too about med school and it's the only advice I've really kept. But part of having the attitude is also having a change in behaviour, which means if this is something you really want, set aside as much time to study for the GAMSAT again (assuming you can write it as many times as you like, like the MCAT) or whatever your ball-and-chain is.

If it helps, I have heard several personal anecdotes of how med school admission is much more stressful than residency matching (except for the USMLE step 1)

Do you know what average tuition is like in Singapore in AUD?

I can't comment on too many places because I've only done my research in the places that tickle my fancy, but if you went to the Caribbean and landed a residency in the States and passed your boards, you'd probably have decent odds of coming back home depending on your field. To help narrow your choices, I'd suggest ruling out places you don't feel you'd be comfortable living in. I'm a Canadian who'll soon go to an Australian school, so I know what it's like to make the decision to leave home. But in all the stress, you have to enjoy the journey and not let the pressure of med school acceptance compromise other factors in your life. I've spoken to one of my TAs who did his master's at a reputable school in Sweden, then hated those two years because of culture shock and the people he met.

I like the "never give up" attitude you have; someone told me to think that way too about med school and it's the only advice I've really kept. But part of having the attitude is also having a change in behaviour, which means if this is something you really want, set aside as much time to study for the GAMSAT again (assuming you can write it as many times as you like, like the MCAT) or whatever your ball-and-chain is.

If it helps, I have heard several personal anecdotes of how med school admission is much more stressful than residency matching (except for the USMLE step 1)

Do you know what average tuition is like in Singapore in AUD?

Hey there Mackenzie :)

I appreciate the great advice and your support. You see Malaysia was my main choice of all the overseas Medical schools. IMU has an abundance of information that people can pick up on. Graduating from a school situated in the UK/US is highly appealing and I assume would make life easier when it comes to matching. However, I know friends who just switched from IMU to Newcastle university Malaysia. I can't get there opinions as its too early but from what I've heard thus far it seems to be a top notch school. No one ever speaks of it in forums for some odd reason. Hmm..

Reading in these forums has shown me just how popular Caribbean schools are. Most definitely due to matching ability. It seems like the greatest safety net you can have by going overseas.

The National University of Singapore costs roughly 50k a year. It's ranked 21 in the world for medicine on QS rankings.

Oh and yes, I'm intending on giving the Gamsat and Umat one more final big crack due to schools starting in September. Hopefully this could be the one to end my misery

Last edited:
My friend did a semester exchange at NUS early this year (engineering) and his residence was luxury. Apparently they have maids that clean their bathrooms biweekly?!? The life...

There are currently three medical schools in Singapore: NUS, NTU and Duke-NUS. NUS and NTU are both MBBS programs whereas Duke-NUS is MD. I would think that Duke-NUS might be the most viable option for you based on the following reasons:

1. Duke-NUS is MD (4 years) while MBBS is 5 years
2. They tend to want students who are research focused, which you seem to be. Although academics are important, I have known students who got accepted even though their GPA isn't that great
3. NTU and NUS MBBS programs almost certainly do not accept international students (please email the respective unis to confirm this)
4. Duke-NUS has lots of international students :)

That being said, if you want to apply to Duke NUS please hurry! If I'm not mistaken the deadline is in december. You'll need to write a few personal statements and get at least three LOR as well.

Good luck!

There are currently three medical schools in Singapore: NUS, NTU and Duke-NUS. NUS and NTU are both MBBS programs whereas Duke-NUS is MD. I would think that Duke-NUS might be the most viable option for you based on the following reasons:

1. Duke-NUS is MD (4 years) while MBBS is 5 years
2. They tend to want students who are research focused, which you seem to be. Although academics are important, I have known students who got accepted even though their GPA isn't that great
3. NTU and NUS MBBS programs almost certainly do not accept international students (please email the respective unis to confirm this)
4. Duke-NUS has lots of international students :)

That being said, if you want to apply to Duke NUS please hurry! If I'm not mistaken the deadline is in december. You'll need to write a few personal statements and get at least three LOR as well.

Good luck!

Thank you for your beneficial help. I would love to attend a university in Singapore, however the costs are just too high. Further to this, Duke NUS requires students to take the MCAT as it is an US based curriculum. I'am yet to sit this test. I have conducted many research projects and I do hope that benefits in my applications to come.
Why do you prefer universities in Singapore, "international md"? Thank you again.

If anyone else has opinions they would like to share, please provide. I'd love to hear your ideas and experiences.

Peace,

If you have done GAMSAT, then you should make an attempt on MCAT. The best option is definitely IMU as you can do residency in Canada mainly at Dalhousie University in Halifax. Unfortunately we Canadians are not allowed to take that route but you certainly can.

If you have done GAMSAT, then you should make an attempt on MCAT. The best option is definitely IMU as you can do residency in Canada mainly at Dalhousie University in Halifax. Unfortunately we Canadians are not allowed to take that route but you certainly can.

Yes, I will definitely attempt the MCAT as soon as it is made available to me. There is an exam in April which I intend on sitting.
Could you please tell me more about IMU? I heard the campus in Malaysia wasn't that great. I have a friend who chose to transfer from there to NUMed.
Also, why should I choose Dalhousie university over other partnered programs?

Thank you in advance,

Peace,

I was only suggesting IMU as I do know they have the options to do their residency in Halifax or many other places and I thought Canada was on your list of Countries you may want to go. My aunt is an anaesthetist in ACT and she tells there are some real good students coming there from IMU.