Need your input please

yyk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a sad GPA of 3.22, finished my degree already.
Did the OAT today and screwed up on the QR section :(
Everything else seems okay..

QR - 310
RC - 350
BIO - 390
GC - 350
OC - 370
PHYS - 370

TS - 380
AA - 360

I'm trying to apply to PCO, New England, ICO and UW. Found 3 references already, but no completed letters yet. Should I retake the OAT for QR? When should I apply?

Thanks in advance for input~

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a sad GPA of 3.18, finished my degree already.

QR - 310
RC - 350
BIO - 390
GC - 350
OC - 370
PHYS - 370

TS - 380
AA - 360

I'm trying to apply to PCO, New England, ICO and UW. Found 3 references already, but no completed letters yet. Should I retake the OAT for QR? When should I apply?

I think your OAT is fine. Can you re-take any of the classes that dropped your GPA? I would make sure you get GREAT letters and do a ton of shadowing and I think you will be fine. I had a 310 on my RC and got into SUNY ICO and SCO.

I think your OAT is fine. Can you re-take any of the classes that dropped your GPA? I would make sure you get GREAT letters and do a ton of shadowing and I think you will be fine. I had a 310 on my RC and got into SUNY ICO and SCO.

Firstly, thanks for the fast reply :)
Unfortunately no, I can't retake the classes that dropped my GPA, they were
also courses that I took in first year. Does it make a difference to the committee if my GPA was steadily increasing? As for shadowing, I'm not sure what's considered 'a ton' :confused: I've been shadowing an optometrist in private practice since November and I've also had experience working with an optometrist under an ophthalmologist for a short period of time.

I would not re-take the OATs. I got a 300 in QR and 350 AA and got interviews to SCCO, Pacific, ICO, SUNY, MCO, and NOVA

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not re-take the OATs. I got a 300 in QR and 350 AA and got interviews to SCCO, Pacific, ICO, SUNY, MCO, and NOVA

thanks for replying, iVision! what was your GPA? I'm rather concerned that my OAT isn't good enough to make up for my low GPA.. :(

thanks for replying, iVision! what was your GPA? I'm rather concerned that my OAT isn't good enough to make up for my low GPA.. :(

Your OAT scores are great! If you think you can improve on your QR then go for it...but your science and total scores are already above average so I don't see why you have to...your GPA is kind of low so it is kind of confusing...I would recommend calling the schools personally and talking to them...what school are you interested in going to?

If you call SCCO then talk to Dr. Jane Munroe and tell her your GPA and OAT scores, etc. She will tell you right then and there whether you need to re-take it or not.

If you call NOVA then talk to Fran Franconeri and she'll tell you as well whether she recommends that you re-take it or not.

I think you will get interviews with these OAT scores. If anything, they may ask you to re-take it after the interview. That's what Nova, ICO, and UAB did to me. They asked me to re-take my OATs after interviewing me.

Your OAT scores are great! If you think you can improve on your QR then go for it...but your science and total scores are already above average so I don't see why you have to...your GPA is kind of low so it is kind of confusing...I would recommend calling the schools personally and talking to them...what school are you interested in going to?

Thanks for the reply student47! I'm trying to apply to NECO, PCO and ICO. I've tried calling all three about my chances, both PCO and ICO have greeted me with answering machines.

"a letter of evaluation from the pre-health professions committee"
pre-health professions committee :confused:

I wouldn't worry too much as long as you apply early. Your GPA is a little low, but your OAT scores are excellent. I also wouldn't worry about your QR score because it is above 300. Make sure you get those recommendations to the schools asap! Take advantage of rolling admissions. Good luck!

I wouldn't worry too much as long as you apply early. Your GPA is a little low, but your OAT scores are excellent. I also wouldn't worry about your QR score because it is above 300. Make sure you get those recommendations to the schools asap! Take advantage of rolling admissions. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, dpu04! :) I'm currently working on my application, I hear they start taking in applications in June/July? What do they do with applications that are in, earlier than that? :confused:

I've called NECO about my gpa, the lady says I was fine because of the school I attended. So I'm currently more concerned about my QR haha..

I have a sad GPA of 3.18, finished my degree already.

QR - 310
RC - 350
BIO - 390
GC - 350
OC - 370
PHYS - 370

TS - 380
AA - 360

I had very similar stats, just switch the QR and RC scores around. My gpa was ~3.2 from a top ranked university, and I got into PCO, NECO, and ICO, so I think your chances from those schools should be great!

Apply as early as you can. (Since you've already finished your degree and taken the OATs, the rest of the app. shouldn't be take long at all)
If you send them in before they start taking applications, they just put it in a file and don't review it until the official start date.

I had very similar stats, just switch the QR and RC scores around. My gpa was ~3.2 from a top ranked university, and I got into PCO, NECO, and ICO, so I think your chances from those schools should be great!

Apply as early as you can. (Since you've already finished your degree and taken the OATs, the rest of the app. shouldn't be take long at all)
If you send them in before they start taking applications, they just put it in a file and don't review it until the official start date.
:) Thanks for the reply, OpticalBlackOut! I'm quite relieved after reading your post. I believe I'm too late for Fall '09, but should have everything else ready soon. What university did you go to, if you don't mind telling?

One of the problems in retaking the OAT is although you can probably raise your QR, can you replicate your scores in the other sections?

I think it would be a waste of time/energy/money to retake it. The time would better be spent shadowing different modalities or working on your essays.

One of the problems in retaking the OAT is although you can probably raise your QR, can you replicate your scores in the other sections?

I think it would be a waste of time/energy/money to retake it. The time would better be spent shadowing different modalities or working on your essays.
:p That's right, I probably can't replicate such results in the other sections. . I was originally concerned that they would reject me for the low QR and low gpa. Thanks for the reply, zyg0te, I will get working on that essay~

:) Thanks for the reply, OpticalBlackOut! I'm quite relieved after reading your post. I believe I'm too late for Fall '09, but should have everything else ready soon. What university did you go to, if you don't mind telling?

I graduated from the University of California, Los Angeles last June.

At first, it was discouraging to look at all the class profile and higher GPAs for all the schools I was interested in. However, all the admissions counselors kept emphasizing that the reputation and difficulty of our undergrad. is considered when they look at our GPA.
Best of luck

I graduated from the University of California, Los Angeles last June.

At first, it was discouraging to look at all the class profile and higher GPAs for all the schools I was interested in. However, all the admissions counselors kept emphasizing that the reputation and difficulty of our undergrad. is considered when they look at our GPA.
Best of luck

:) Ah yes, I feel the same looking when looking at the class profile.. Thank you, OpticalBlackOut!

I wouldn't worry, like others have said. I graduated with a 3.1 and got 350 AA 360 TS, and got into my first choice. You sound like you're in great shape! :thumbup:

I wouldn't worry, like others have said. I graduated with a 3.1 and got 350 AA 360 TS, and got into my first choice. You sound like you're in great shape! :thumbup:

Cool!:woot: Thanks for your feedback, JMU07!