Need your advice about transfering to Caribbean MD school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How often does matching unofficial = first choice (outside of primary care)? And do not forget the scramble that US students do qualify for.

Honestly I'm a FP guy and I wanted a FP residency, in a place my familily and I could stay put, Clinicals,Residency,Practice, for me this outside the match residency is first choice, for me it's not important for competitive residencies, I think any one like me this would be ok, it's not for everyone.

For others outside the match is better because you know what you have, you picked it, even though they may do "better" in the match as you pointed out they also may end up not getting a residency.

( I really do not disagree with FMG's have a tough time, they do, on different levels, I think going to a US school should be the first goal, if not then other options, there are many roads to practice)

Members don't see this ad.

oldpro, I have no issues with you or carrib grads who went that route to begin with. I do feel for the future patients of someone who is more interested in the letters that follow their name than in becoming the best physician they can be.

oldpro, I have no issues with you or carrib grads who went that route to begin with. I do feel for the future patients of someone who is more interested in the letters that follow their name than in becoming the best physician they can be.
Yeah I agree it doesn't matter if you are DO or MD or whatever, its the care we give in the end that matters and the knowledge of the person.

Thats always been my personal feelings.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)

Again, I responded to your rectal comments in the pre-DO thread.
I want to direct you to the "ignore option" if you do not like what I am saying.

It is not just about the letters after your name, but you are ignorant to the fact and refuse to recognize that DO option is not for everyone. You know why, probably because you are trying to convince yourself of that. Good Luck

I want to direct you to the "ignore option" if you do not like what I am saying.

It is not just about the letters after your name, but you are ignorant to the fact and refuse to recognize that DO option is not for everyone. You know why, probably because you are trying to convince yourself of that. Good Luck

Which DO program were you in?

Just to complete an earlier point by Oldpro, that 50% match rate is for all Caribbean schools put together, including the smaller/less established ones. The big 4 have higher match rates: St. George's in particular advertises a 99% match rate and if you take a look at their match list over the last few years I think you'll see it's certainly respectable and would be virtually impossible to differentiate from many stateside schools.

http://www.sgu.edu/ERD/ResidPost.nsf/bypgy?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=PGY1&Count=-1

Just to complete an earlier point by Oldpro, that 50% match rate is for all Caribbean schools put together, including the smaller/less established ones. The big 4 have higher match rates: St. George's in particular advertises a 99% match rate and if you take a look at their match list over the last few years I think you'll see it's certainly respectable and would be virtually impossible to differentiate from many stateside schools.

http://www.sgu.edu/ERD/ResidPost.nsf/bypgy?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=PGY1&Count=-1

Yes and no, More students attend the big 4 and a larger number never make it that far, they get weeded out, so if you start with 3 to 400 students how many finish and go for the match at a school like SGU?

I have no problem with what you are saying, this is a fairly free speech forum. You simply make a lot of vacuous comments that you can't back up. I'm entitled to argue and I am still waiting for an intelligent rebuttal. :sleep:

I have a question. Is transferring to a US MD school vs. a Caribbean one out of the question? Have former DO students been able to do that in the past? If you really want the MD behind your name, it seems to me you'd do better to go to a US allopathic school because you'll be more likely to get first pick of residencies. And there's also fewer licensing issues. Nothing against Caribbean schools. SGU did provide me with a good education. But US allopathic grads get first choice for residency positions, especially more competitive ones.

C'mon people, can't we just be happy for the OP? You don't have to agree with his choice but at least you should respect his decision. For the sake of your future patients, I hope some of you will be more open-minded. People do things differently and that is perfectly acceptable.

"Procrastination is like Masturbation --- You'll Only End Up F_cking Yourself"

Actually the first one can definitely help relieve pain and probably help with prostate problems. "If you use it, you won't lose it" creationism rule... I made up... how do you like my signature?

Yes and no, More students attend the big 4 and a larger number never make it that far, they get weeded out, so if you start with 3 to 400 students how many finish and go for the match at a school like SGU?

Yeah, I get your point. I'm assuming that the students that are accepted to SGU are all academically capable of finishing medical school and drop out because of the difficulties associated with living away from home AND doing it on a 3rd world island.

Assuming that the applicant is capable of finishing medical school, then they've got a 99% chance of matching. Sound like pretty good odds to me. The difficult part for most people might be in objectively determining whether or not they can get the grade in med school.

Hi Everyone, wanted to wish happy holiday and update everyone.

Since I last left DO school and re-started at SGU, I would like to report to you that it was a great idea. The classes at first were lame and a drag, but then I started learning stuff in much more details. Anatomy was more or less the same, without the disections (thank G-O-D), but Histo/cell and Biochemistry was completely different.

Also I found that the 3 courses in first term overlaped very well. Anatomy-to-Histo-to-Biochem. Same diseases were covered in more than one class and at different levels. I thought that was great. It looks like someone at SGU sat down and actually planned things out. Also good thing not to have manipulation and philosophy of osteopathy stuff.

I am looking forward to next term in the sun and learning things properly this time.

Good luck to everyone, and if anyone has questions please PM me. I might not answer right away but I will try to get around to it.

of FYI, the exams where also really hard and all with clinical angle to them. None of that pure memorizing crap. You actually had to think. Anatomy final was killer but well written.

As long as your happy!

I wont be till it's "OLDPRO MD" LOL

My uncle fits in that. He graduated from Cebu Institute of Medicine, a medical school in the Philippines--graduated with an M.D, finished a residency in General surgery and then later specialized in Pediatric Surgery. He and his wife later went to Britain where he practices medicine (Gen. Surgery) and his wife works as a Nurse. As of right now tho, my uncle is studying yet again for the USMLEs, as he is planning to move to the states with his wife. Despite graduating from a Philippine medical school, he's a well known surgeon in the U.K. He has been given an offer to proceed a specialization in cardiothoracic surgery over there, however, wants to move to the US and review for the USMLE for the time being.

He's in his early 40s right now. A difficult path lays before him, sure. But I know he'll proceed successfully. Not all paths are the same, which is what im trying to say. Medicine isn't just a 'job', its a 'Professional Calling'.

Cheers,,:thumbup:

I disagree, I do not want to start a flame war here, but want to point out per my own research DO's do not get accepted into all MD residencies so they are limited there

And none of the DO residencies are open to MD. And you're right - not all of the MD residencies are realistically open to DO students (unless you are exceptional) but those are the ones that aren't open to FMG's either (unless they're exceptional).

If the OP doesn't want a DO, that's fair enough and he should drop out and go where he feels most comfortable. But Caribbean FMG's do not have an advantage over DOs when it comes to residencies.

I am glad it worked out for you TruthMD :). The most important thing is to be sure and happy with what you are going to be doing.

doctors are dumb...whether they are do's , md's, img's....they all want money and a good lifestyle...patient care is always last. socialize all of medicine u bastards