Need to borrow $210k at once

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Creightonite

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
called Washu and they want all four years of tuition up front so it came out to be around. I know citibank some other loan companies can give that much money over 4 years but not sure if they can loan that much upfront. any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of school would do that? That's terrible. How can four years of tuition and fees be over 210K, anyway?

i think it includes other expenses such as books, USMLE, maybe living expenses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I have no idea how that is going to work.

The only thing I can think of, from my limited knowledge, that would give you that much money up front is a mortgage for a house. :confused:

The OP must be an international student therefor needs all the money up front and is not eligible for federal loans.

Creightonite said:
called Washu and they want all four years of tuition up front
So... Did you ask the person at WashU what students typically do? If this is actually standard policy - are you sure you didn't misunderstand somehow? are you a foreign applicant or some other kind of special case scenario? - then every single one of their other students must have solved the same problem. Who has $210K just lying around?

Edit: If you *are* a foreign applicant, then have you tried looking at loan options in your home country? Unless you're coming from somewhere like Japan, Canada, Western Europe, Australia, etc., your government might sponsor loans or grants specifically for people to come to the US for education (though they usually require returning to your home country afterward). Even if you can't get government money, it should be *substantially* easier to borrow from a bank in a country where you already have citizenship and a credit history. I've got a coworker from England who just had a hell of a time getting a credit card, because no US credit card company could be bothered to look at his lifetime of perfect credit in England - he basically didn't exist as far as they were concerned. I suspect getting a bank loan would be similar.

Also, WashU must have a support office for international scholars - there may be few enough foreign entrants to the medical program that whoever answers the phone at the med school won't be much help, but if this is a common thing for foreign students to have to deal with, then the international programs office might know of some options.

Taking a quick look at the OP's posting history... he hasn't actually applied to medical school as of yet.

I talked to those guys and they said that half of intl student came to them already having that money in their own bank and other other half had to borrow. They did not say what loans.

who is OP and there is no such a user on SDN.

Creightonite said:
I talked to those guys and they said that half of intl student came to them already having that money in their own bank and other other half had to borrow. They did not say what loans.

May want to ask them if they could provide you with the names and contacts of any current students or alumni who may have had to cough up the cash. That way could contact them and ask.

Wook