need tips! giving high school lecture.

lluvia2rain

old member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a physician going to a high school soon to give a presentation for career day. Most of the students are honors ect. What do most high school students want to know about medicine and do you have any thoughts on activities to make it more interesting. Thanks for any help I can get.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep the medical jargon to a minimum, or explain it as you go. We once had a doctor come who gave us a sheet with the terminology he was going to use so that we could look it up as he spoke

When I did this, I basically told them the path necessary to become a physician and then opened the floor to questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tell them about Aspire :D

Basically I agree with starting with about 10 minutes about the pathway to different fields in medicine (How many years does it take after high school to become a pediatric neurosurgeon?) and then open it to their questions.

If they aren't real responsive, talk about the day-day life of a med student and resident. Try not to use any obscenities.:rolleyes:

I definitely agree that you should give a basic explanation of "how" to become a doctor. Most kids haven't the slightest idea outside of it taking a really long time. In fact, I wasn't fully aware until I came so SDN, so that would probably pretty helpful.

You could also try to spark some interest in the kids, maybe asking them if they've ever considered the field of medicine...explaining why you decided to go for it (like working with the human body, other people, etc.). I know one of my main motivations for trying to do this is because I'm absolutely fascinated with human anatomy and medicine, especially how far the body can be pushed (hence my love for sports medicine). It's probably the coolest thing I can imagine doing in my life, so I'm ecstatic about it.

Good luck!

well obviously the path on how to become a doctor but I love it when speakers make it more personal... cool experiences they went through, cases, things like that.

Another thing is that high school students are really ignorant about the process, how hard it actually is, etc. so tips for good resources for them is good... SDN!

Tell them about Aspire :D

Basically I agree with starting with about 10 minutes about the pathway to different fields in medicine (How many years does it take after high school to become a pediatric neurosurgeon?) and then open it to their questions.

If they aren't real responsive, talk about the day-day life of a med student and resident. Try not to use any obscenities.:rolleyes:

Speaking of which, how many years does it take it take to become a pediatric neurosurgeon? :D

Is it a 1 year fellowship? 2?

Speaking of which, how many years does it take it take to become a pediatric neurosurgeon? :D

Is it a 1 year fellowship? 2?

Six-seven year residency followed by a 1 year fellowship.