Need Strategies for choosing between two answers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohmanwaddup

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is absolutely killing me. on any 40 question block I am constantly getting between 6-9 wrong after narrowing it down to two choices. it drives me insane. Anyone have any tips for this?

Members don't see this ad.

1.Have the required knowledge
2.Read the question and answer choices carefully
3.Think rationally

There are no tricks.

This is absolutely killing me. on any 40 question block I am constantly getting between 6-9 wrong after narrowing it down to two choices. it drives me insane. Anyone have any tips for this?
never go with the one that you have never heard of before. Many people go with that answer because they think since they have never heard of it that must be the answer since you don't know the answer. Always go with the one that you are familiar with. Never change your answer unless you are more sure than not that it is the correct answer. Also look at the epidemiology and differentiating factors in the vignette-it should help one answer be "more" correct than the other and helps narrow down the differential. Try and find ways that one of the two is wrong based on what they give you-usually the answer is in the vignette somewhere. Also, if one of the two choices you are down to includes A. and you have zero clue never pick A. in this case since A. is statistically the least common answer choice for multiple choice questions.

Reactions: 2 users
never go with the one that you have never heard of before. Many people go with that answer because they think since they have never heard of it that must be the answer since you don't know the answer. Always go with the one that you are familiar with. Never change your answer unless you are more sure than not that it is the correct answer. Also look at the epidemiology and differentiating factors in the vignette-it should help one answer be "more" correct than the other and helps narrow down the differential. Try and find ways that one of the two is wrong based on what they give you-usually the answer is in the vignette somewhere. Also, if one of the two choices you are down to includes A. and you have zero clue never pick A. in this case since A. is statistically the least common answer choice for multiple choice questions.

I wish I never would've saw this, now its gonna be in my head

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say the one you can better reason out "loud" (in your head) is the better answer. If its not, when you are reviewing figure out what you were thinking and start altering the way you think about the question/concepts.

Reactions: 1 user
How many are you narrowing down to two choices? If it's 25, then 6-9 wrong is a pretty good result and the problem is that you're ending up with too many you're unsure of in the first place. If it's 12, and you're getting more than 50% of them wrong, then yeah, there's not much you can do but follow the advice here.

If you're consistently getting more than half of your guesses wrong in a way that can't be due to chance, then you would probably improve more by just straight guessing—like always picking the first of the two answers—than by trying to reason it out.

I honestly used the test taking strategy of picking the bottom one for those situation. It’ll usually net you at least half of them right

How many are you narrowing down to two choices? If it's 25, then 6-9 wrong is a pretty good result and the problem is that you're ending up with too many you're unsure of in the first place. If it's 12, and you're getting more than 50% of them wrong, then yeah, there's not much you can do but follow the advice here.

If you're consistently getting more than half of your guesses wrong in a way that can't be due to chance, then you would probably improve more by just straight guessing—like always picking the first of the two answers—than by trying to reason it out.
its typically 10, basically the difference between the a 70 and a 80%. the majority of my wrong answers are this. The funny thing is I swear the majority of the time as I click one i say in my head "yo dude its totally the other watch" and then I get it wrong. Its almost like seeing the future because the thought pops in my head as I am moving the mouse and clicking (I do tutor mode mostly)