Need Some More Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unsure student

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to this board and have posted only a couple times and was wondering if I could get help from any SDN pre-dents. First and foremost, I graduated in 2003 with a BA in Government and Philosophy. I graduated with a 3.4 g.p.a and only took three science courses. I have a year's left of pre-req's but before I decide to take these courses I have a couple of questions I was hoping this board can help me with. First, I have heard that for people in my situation who have graduated college and then take their pre-req's these courses will be figured into my cumulative g.p.a. Can anybody conifrm this policy? Secondly, I have three W's on my transcript in the three science courses I took. At the time, I had to withdraw from those courses because my grandfather past away and I had to run my father's business and those courses conflicted with my work schedule. My father had to fly overseas to be with our family. I subsequently took those courses over and got an "A", a "B" and a "D," which I plan to retake. Assuming I somehow understand the PAT and score well on my DAT's coupled with a 3.5 g.p.a (that's assuming I get A's in my pre-req's, two years work experience in dentistry, how good if any will be my chances at dental schools in the Northeast? I apologize for the long rambling post. I just want to get all my info out so I can get good info feed back. Thanks in advance. I appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Results of your postbac courses will be calculated cumulatively. Some schools may also consider a separate postbac GPA.

2) Explain your unusual circumstances for the withdrawal and "D" grade within your AADSAS application. There is a question to answer.

3) Stay focused and do not allow yourself to become distracted. No more withdrawals and strive for high grades in your future courses (no lower than B, but strive for A's). Also, be aware that many schools are looking for a broad foundation in the sciences. That means you should definitely think about pursuing more than the minimum requirements to be competitive!

Good luck and hang in there! :)

I would love to take more then the bare minimum but I married witha 10 month old so I do not have the luxury of taking more then what is required. How bad are the W's and D grade affect my chances of admission?>

Members don't see this ad :)
Your situation is understood. It all depends upon the the perspective of individual admissions committees. My suggestion, pick up the telephone and talk to the schools you are most seriously considering. You may even request a face-to-fact meeting for advising (you will become a person and not simply one of many email inquiries or voices on the telephone).

Think about what you are looking for in a dental education and make a decision to pursue the school that is the best fit for you.

I really don't think the W's and the D would affect your application considerably, just because you have a decent cumalative. On the same token though, I would like to suggest that you do very good as a post bac. When you go back to school now, try to not go lower then a solid B and I personally think you'll be fine, espcially if you said you want the bare minumum considering the fact you have a family. I wish you the best of luck...

Thanks for replying Phosphorylation. I am not shooting for "B's". I want A's and only A's. I can literally not afford to not do well in my science pre-req's. Assuming I get all A's in whatever science courses I have left, (I know its a big assumption) plus I do well on the DAT somehow after 3-4 months of very intense studying plus taking a Kaplan course will I be a competitive applicant with a 3.5 overall, 3.77 science g.p.a, two years work experience for a dentist, and hoepfully by the grace of G-d 20/20 on the DAT's? Thanks in advance for all of your help

My father suffered a stroke, and though I didn't have to withdraw, I had to take a year off, work full time, focus and his rehab, and try to save his business - so I can relate to your situation. I think those are very good, and very obtainable, goals. Circumstances and events shape us in unpredictable ways and I am sure adcoms are aware of this. If you can't take additional science courses to bolster your transcripts (it's not the end of the world if you can't) then seek to do some other activities that can speak of your desire to become a dentist and your level of commitment. My dentist, who went to U Conn, said that one of his professors (who also sat on the adcom) said they 'could teach monkeys to do dentistry, but what they couldn't do was teach dentists how to be responsible, caring individuals.' He ended the conversation by saying that his school was more interested in a candidate with average to little above average scores that carries him/herself well, demonstrates maturity and sensitivity, and can function outside of their dental office than one with stellar scores and a cardboard personality. I have a feeling that applies to a lot of schools. As far as experience, working in a dental office is a good start. Also look into volunteering in your community (teach kids to read, etc.), helping out at large functions such as National Give Kids a Smile Day (in my community the sponsors could always use an extra hand). If your school has a pre-dent club, team up with them as there is strength in numbers my friend and they could also be a great resource. I think these are some other things to consider and, along with your academic goals, could lead you to develop a rather competitive application. A 20/20 is a strong score and worthy to shoot for and you already have a degree, which plays in your favor. Though the process may be brutal, aim for the A's in your remaining pre-reqs and you can get them! If I can do it, so can you! As far as eastern schools are concerned, it all depends on which one you are considering as their stats for first year students vary.

I want to stay local in NYC and would be considering NYU and Columbia. I am not sure which other schools I should apply to. Do you have any suggestions?. Thanks in advance and great post btw.

From what I know, NYU is rather 'easy' to matriculate to, though pricey, and Columbia is more selective, likes candidates that have research experience, and favors a more academic approach to dentistry than some of the other schools. For those reasons Columbia might like to see an applicant with more on their transcript than what you are able to do given your other obligations. If you are a NY resident then it might be of a benefit to also seriously look into some upper-state schools. Given that everything in New England is so close to everything else, another school located one state over might not be that big of a sacrifice as compared to having to move to California. For example, the University of Maryland makes it a point to mention that non-science majors are encouraged to apply in their material. Though they also mention said applicants and out-of-staters need to be above average, if you obtain your academic goals - that's you! However, if you want to apply to those NY schools, by all means do so. Don't let anyone in this forum or elsewhere say you can't do something or that you shouldn't apply here or there. If you heed such advice then you have made an ultimate decision and not an adcom - and that's not being fair to yourself. If dentistry is really what you want to do then you'll bring all of those ends together to work for you so as to arrive at your goal.