need some major help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ronez420

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok well my problem is my sci gpa really sucked i have a 2.5 and my over gpa was a 2.7 and now after applying for all the schools and not getting into any so i just and it's too late to apply for any post bac's as well .. what other choices do i have to bring up my gpa??

Members don't see this ad.

yeah but will it bring my gpa up something that i messed up for 4 years..

Members don't see this ad :)
you are going to need to take some classes. I'm in same boat, actually a little worse but i have work experience and an MBA.

Optimistically, do well in these classes. Reflect on why you did poorly. It most likely would be a good idea to do a year of classes then apply for post-bacc. That seems like your best bet this late in the game.

those are the only choices left then I guess am I correct?? i'm trying to seek some counseling service at a university or something hopefully they can tell me something to do so i dont have to wait off from med school for few years...

honestly though, you are the one that put yourself in this position. Its going to take at least a year or two of proving to adcom you are worth it. Unless you have stellar MCAT's ... then maybe just one year of acing some upper levels would work. I my experience, undergrad advising didn't help much b/c if you didn't fit the cookie cutter of a premed they automatically discounted. If you want this, get clinical experience and improve your grades. Talk to some of the schools on how to strengthen your app. If grades were the issue, then work on them. I'm guessing with your GPA it was your grades. It also could be the trend in your grades as well.

Its not going to change over night and I hate to be blunt, but the sooner you see and accept that, the easier it is to take action and barrell ahead. I had a 2.3 gpa graduating and 2.5 overall. Its going to be tough but I'm expecting at least 2 years of undergrad. I talked to a few schools about my hole, one MD and one DO and they both said, GPA has to go up.

mshheaddoc said:
honestly though, you are the one that put yourself in this position. Its going to take at least a year or two of proving to adcom you are worth it. Unless you have stellar MCAT's ... then maybe just one year of acing some upper levels would work. I my experience, undergrad advising didn't help much b/c if you didn't fit the cookie cutter of a premed they automatically discounted. If you want this, get clinical experience and improve your grades. Talk to some of the schools on how to strengthen your app. If grades were the issue, then work on them. I'm guessing with your GPA it was your grades. It also could be the trend in your grades as well.

Its not going to change over night and I hate to be blunt, but the sooner you see and accept that, the easier it is to take action and barrell ahead. I had a 2.3 gpa graduating and 2.5 overall. Its going to be tough but I'm expecting at least 2 years of undergrad. I talked to a few schools about my hole, one MD and one DO and they both said, GPA has to go up.

mshheaddoc is right with what was posted. I'm in the same boat. I graduated with a 2.3 GPA, have a 31 MCAT, 2 years of research, 39 credits of upperdivision post-bac course work with a 3.92 GPA and I still have to go to Georgetown SMP to get a good shot into medical school. A low gpa is not something you are going to cure in 1 year unless you plan on going to a DO school. You will probably need 2 years of undergrad course work or one year of undergrad course work and 1 year of a special master program like georgetown or something like that. If you want to be a family doc you can just go study on the beach in grenada, and bypass all the bs :cool: but if allo is the way to go then this is the best advise and can come up with

Loyola is open until July 1st and I think BU is up until August. Check out their websites though to make sure. Best of luck. Post-Bacc will help I imagine and try to do some research that gets published. Volunteer, there is plenty to do to show you are a good candidate. Raising your GPA is probably the first step though! BEst of luck!!!

mshheaddoc said:
Not even if you want just want "allo", allo or osteo. Some osteos are more competetive than some allos ;) Not starting that debate again.

I can appreciate that, my point was that osteo programs "typically" aren't the number ****** that allopathic schools are. From my speaking with adcoms, I had a good shot at their osteopathic programs because of my background, and they weren't going to punish me for sucking in my former undergraduate days. Allopathic schools "generally" are much less forgiving as there is a more direct emphasis on grades and MCAT scores. I havent heard of any osteopathic schools being more competitive than allopathic schools, unless your comparing an in-state school's acceptance rate that accepts like 90% of its students as residents from that state to some uber hot private osteopathic school, but then we arent exactly comparing apples to apples are we.

Tooth