Need some info/advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jduplooy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am currently about to finish up my undergrad degree in the next couple of months and am trying to figure out what to do when I grad. I always was interested in maybe going into med-school at some point, but never really pursued it.
So I am now going to be graduating with a degree in Business Management.
My question is:

Do I still have the option of maybe doing med-school, and what would I need to do to get to that point.

I have heard that there are some pre req. classes that I would need to take. (chem, organic chem, bio) and the MCAT of course.

But is that it? or is there a whole lot I'm not seeing.

My GPA is not great, but not terrible (damn freshman year, haha) I have a 3.2

But I really am a good student and feel like if I apply myself I can really do this.

Thanks for any input anyone may have!

Members don't see this ad.

It's never too late!

There are prereqs and you can take them after you graduate as a post-bacc. If your bad grades are from freshman year, try extra hard in those post bacc classes to improve your GPA and it'll show that you've grown as a student and are serious about applying. Why do you want to be a doctor? Haver you ever been immersed into the medical field? What experiences do you have that can contribute to your success as a medical student and as a physician? These are all important questions that you should have real answers. When you're confident in you abilities, experiences, and grades - take the plunge and take the MCAT and apply! Good luck! You can do this!

I feel like you are where I was about 4 years ago. I was interested in medical school while in college but didn't really know much about it (whether it was really the path for me, whether I was "smart" enough when it came to sciences, what I needed to do to be able to apply).

So I went the path of working in a few jobs and seeking out experiences that gave me more information about what doctors do. Then I felt like I was ready to pursue this goal.

Talking with those doctors and reading SDN helped a bunch in letting me know what I needed to do from there. I completed the prereqs (I'm sure others will detail these for you). Finished the MCAT. Did some meaningful volunteering and other activities in the meanwhile. And now I'm finally ready to apply! It took me longer than some others because I worked for 2 years before starting the prereqs, but I also know that without those experiences I wouldn't personally have been confident enough that this is the path for me.

:luck: