Need some help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Minghoo

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm having some trouble writing my essay for pharmcas. I'm applying for entry in 2005. I guess I need some opinions or why some of you became interested in pharmacy. I'm having a hard time putting on paper the reasons why I want to do pharmacy. I mean the schools want to see that each applicant is estatic about going to pharmacy school. Any help would be great. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Money's great. Don't have to touch patients. Got rejected from other health profession schools. Ummm these are great starts for you.

Hahaha, just kidding. Really though, you can't ask someone else their opinion on why YOU want to be a pharmacist.

Answer this question for me and I'll help you:
Why do you want to be a pharmacist?
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how I can help you with that! "Why do you want to become a pharmacist?" is the first question asked at most interviews...you've gotta answer that with the conviction that it came from inside of you.

I'll give you something to start with...what do you know about the current state of the profession, and where do you think it will be headed? Do the prospects excite you? What's your vision?

Find something to grab onto, and run with it. And don't say it's for the money (not that you'll actually say that ;)), or you want to help people...there are easier ways to go about that.

Some ideas to get you started:

*look into pharmaceutical care (do a google search)

*check out the association websites (ASP, NCPA, ASHP) - how is the profession moving? What about that appeals to you?

*do you have experience? did you like it? why? (that was the focus of my essay - I had been a tech for long enough to see the good, bad and the ugly - and I drew on those experiences (also shows dedication and knowledge of the profession).

I'll think of more....

This is a question that's tough to answer.

Every pharmacy student that I've asked this answer money. Every pharmacist that I know say money was the reason. Even the president of a national pharmacist organization says that he can't tell you why he became a pharmacist other than the money was good. I don't know of anyone who grew up wanting to be a pharmacist, but I know plenty who wanted to be a doctor, nurse, lawyer, etc...

Thanks guys. I know it is an awkward and hard question to ask. I guess I'm just more frustrated and stressing on the essay. June is right around the corner and I know that most schools have rolling admissions. But the suggestions are a great start. Thanks again.

No problem, good luck. I know one of the hardest parts of writing an essay is actually starting it...sometimes it's hard to put the ideas in your head onto the written page.

In your essay, emphasize something unique and interesting both about you and about the profession. Anyone can say that they like pharmacy because "they want to help people" or "because of patient interaction," but few can elaborate on significance of these interactions. Helping people is great but emphasizing how pharmaceutical care and patient well being are interconnected is even more important. Keep this in mind as you are writing your essays. Try to distance yourself from other applicants by integrating yourself, research you may have done, and connecting that to the future of pharmacy. A life changing event defines character, which may lean you towards a particular profession. Things such as these show and emphasize your unique qualities, while maintaining in accordance of the essay question.

Don't mention economic benefits for the profession because they are external benefits, that is, they have little value to anyone but yourself. Mention things you can do to help others in pharmacy, as this will give internal reason to why you belong in this profession. Escape from the surface of the profession (i.e. money, careers, job shortages) and define pharmacy through a healthcare perspective. This is what will get you in, combined with an equally excellent interview.

That's some great advice Motiv. I'll keep that in mind as I mess around with my first draft. Thanks again everyone!

Hi!!!

I am a pre-pharmacy student, too. I plan to start Pharm.D in Fall 2005 at University of Texas or University of North Carolina. Does San Francisco requires the admission essay this early in June? I can't belive it! Let me answer your question here. I had a interview for the job as a Pharmacy Technician at Hospital and the interviewer means, a Director of Pharmacy(Pharm.D) asked me that why I am insterested in becoming a Pharmacist?
And I told her that first, I want to work mentally not physically. Second, I want to something special in my life(be a professional person by getting a Pharm.D degree) a Doctrate degree. Third, I want to make difference in someone's life(make feel them better). Fourth, I want to make more money.
So, this are the reasons that I told Director of Pharmacy(interviewer) in my interview for why being a Pharmacist.

So, I think this will help you in writing your Pharm.D admission Essay.

Nowonder y u writing yr essay to early? r u goin to U of California San Francisco?

I hope this will help u!!!

Well I'm writing this early because I plan to apply quite a few schools. This essay is for pharmcas and the hardest essay. UCSF does not have rolling admissions so I'm not too worried about that. Besides I already have that one done. That essay is judge of character rather than why I want to become a pharmacist. Thanks for the tips.

I think it's great that you're ahead of the game. It shows that you're a very motivated student. However, I still think you should think hard about why YOU chose to take pharmacy pre-reqs. There has to be a reason why you picked pharmacy rather than wanting to be a nurse or teacher or policeman. Whatever your reasons are, they are valid. Even if it is for the cash, that's OK. You can manipulate that reason into saying something deeper than perceived greediness. For example, if you had to pay your own way through school and have a family now, you can say how you'll feel assured that you'll be able to provide for your family and make your kids' lives easier by paying for their education. People shouldn't feel bad for making salary a reason for choosing a career, in my opinion, it's one of the smartest things you can do to ensure provisions (healthcare, education) for yourself and family.

However, it would be a good idea to focus your essay on more "internal" reasons because adcoms want to know why you'll be an asset to the profession. So research where the profession is heading (and why that interests you) and research the particular college (and how that fits into your interests). Motiv8 gave a lot of great advice, but like I said I think it's ok to state "external" reasons. If an adcom is going to fault you for telling the truth....then that's bull! It's important to BE YOURSELF. If you come across as a completely altruistic student that is choosing pharmacy for the benefit of only others, it might be obvious you're feeding them what they want to hear.