Need some help! SMP vs overseas MD for a Canadian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meester Doge

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Have some interesting options, open to opinions! To get it out of the way, GPA ~3.4 and MCAT 517. So, recently accepted to an SMP program at BU, and also accepted to U of Queensland in Australia for the MD program, still waiting on Sydney.

Do you think it's worthwhile to do an SMP with intentions of studying in the US, or save the years (and money) and go overseas to start my MD with hopes of matching to Canada?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Why not apply DO? No need for the SMP (as far as I know your GPA is solid, @Goro can confirm) and you can stay in North America. You'd also have a lot more options if you wanted to come back to Canada. If you go to Australia you can't assume that you'll match to anything aside from Family and Psychiatry in Canada, it's possible but very difficult for an IMG.

Reactions: 1 user
Couldn't this person do a post bacc, raise their gpa, and then apply MD? That MCAT is fantastic.

I should add that my science GPA is ~3.0 - 3.1, hence the post bacc at BostonU (did not get an interview this year for MD). DO could be a good option and likely a better route than Australia, but is it worth it to give up on MD? Do you think a reputable school like U Sydney is a bad option compared to staying in N america?

Thanks for the replies by the way :)