Need some help picking schools!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

Begaster

ECs:

Two summers spent doing a job/internship at a fairly large corporation that has nothing top do with medicine (was invited back for the second summer after the first one - declined on coming back for a third one as I had a research gig lined up instead).

Two years in a cognitive psychology lab (and still going). Did my own project, wrote it up, manuscript is being worked on for submission as first author.

One year at a neuroscience lab, should have my name on a publication (probably like fourth author :p) but said publication will not be out for at least a year or two.

Volunteered two years in a row at the Saturday Program, which is a program where you tutor underprivileged kids. Only lasts about four months per year, 3hours/week on average.

Spent a year as a tour guide in my university observatory. Was a member of the Physics/Astronomy club as well during that time.

Two years writing for a prominent online videogaming site (though this was during high school). One year writing for the university paper.

Started volunteering at the hospital last August. Put in about 3 hours per week. Lots of experience interacting with patients, as my job is to basically sit in the waiting room and shoot the **** with them/provide any information.

Teaching the MCAT for the Princeton Review since April (about 15 hours per week since May). Awesome job, that.

Currently in the process of volunteering for the Green Party (The core is environmentalism, not weed).

Trying to hook up a job working with autistic kids for next year. Sent out my resume, awaiting a response.

Spend a fair bit of time playing squash and going to the gym.

Love to write creatively.

No shadowing, I'm Canadian and it's not allowed up here.

Numbers:

GPA: 3.83
BCPM: 3.78
MCAT: 13P/12V/11B --> 36S

Assuming I was American, what schools would you recommend? Need a list of schools to start emailing out ASAP about their Canadian student policy.

Thanks!

Edit - Sorry for such a broad question. I've ordered the MSAR, but it's out of stock and Amazon doesn't know when they'll have it. So, until then, I'm basically in a bind. I want to start getting emails out, but I don't know which schools are worth aiming for.

So far, I've been given the advice to apply to these schools:

1. CCLM (Cleveland Clinic Lerner School of Medicine).

2. Case Western.

3. WashU - seems like a waste of time, as I'm below all of their averages.

4. Dartmouth

5. Yale

6. Hahvahd

7. Mayo

8. Columbia

9. University of Chicago

Hoping to bring this list up to, I dunno, 15 or 20 schools? Cornell and Texas excluded, as I already know they won't take internationals (which sucks, because I've always wanted to live in Texas).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your scores are great, but I think you're too light on clinical experience to stand a chance at the top schools. Bolster that as much as you can before applying.

I'd recommend some schools, but I'm honestly not familiar with which ones are Canadian friendly. Just know that your numbers will at least be competitive at every U.S. school you apply to. You should also kick butt in the Canadian schools.

I can't do too much to bolster my clinical hours, sadly. Shadowing is mostly out of the question (I'll call up and maybe pester my uncle, but I think it may actually be illegal for him to let me shadow), and I'm not allowed to spend more than one day per week at the hospital (not to mention that between working and my other responsibilities, I don't have the time anyway!).

Can you give me some school names that would, preferably, be closer to the North than the South, and are OOP friendly? Once I have some of those, I can email them and see their specific Canadian policy.

Also, is your name a reference to Psychonauts? Because if so, rock on! :D