***Need some help on my chance***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Holah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I graduated from a research university with a cumulative gpa of 3.4 and a science gpa of 3.35. I have a B.S. in Biology. There is an upward trend on my gpa. For the first two years of undergrad, i had a gpa of about 3.1. The last two years, I took more classes and my gpa was 3.7 and 3.5 respectively for my junior and senior year.

I took the MCAT three times, the first time I didn't study that much and ended with a 19M, second time a 26M, and the third time 30M. 11P-9V-10B

I had approximately 120 hours of clinical experience. I did an internship at a research facility for one summer.

Do I have a chance at getting accepted to a M.D school? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No. Your gpa is low, you mcat is decent but your clinical is weak. In addition, you have no community service or volunteering. So put everything together, you don't have a chance this cycle or next. If you ramp up your clinical and get some volunteering in, you may get accepted to MD schools next cycle, but you should definitely apply to some DO schools to be safe.

Hi,
I graduated from Brandeis with a cumulative gpa of 3.4 and a science gpa of 3.35. I have a B.S. in Biology. There is an upward trend on my gpa. For the first two years of undergrad, i had a gpa of about 3.1. The last two years, I took more classes and my gpa was 3.7 and 3.5 respectively for my junior and senior year.

I took the MCAT three times, the first time I didn't study that much and ended with a 19M, second time a 26M, and the third time 30M. 11P-9V-10B

I had approximately 120 hours of clinical experience. I did an internship at a research facility for one summer.

Do I have a chance at getting accepted to a M.D school? thanks
Your MCAT score is fine, but not high enough to compensate for the lower GPAs unless some special circumstances are present that you haven't mentioned. Also, you would ideally apply with a recent upward grade trend. Are you willing to invest a year getting As in upper-level Bio classes, math, and Biochem to prove your capability? Do you have any advanced Bio classes in which you earned an A so far? Do you have any really low prerequisite grades that need to be retaken? Have you considered applying to DO med schools where your GPAs wouldn't need as much improvement?

Your ECs need some work as well. You've made a nice start with your clinical experience, especially if it was gained over at least a year's time, but needs additional augmentation (150 hours over 1.5 years is average). Was it volunteer, for class credit, or via employment? The research is below the average listed, but it isn't a requirement. If you had other EC strengths, the brief research experience could be overlooked. You mention no physician shadowing (50 hours is average). I agree that a lack of nonmedical community service also needs to be addressed. Do you have any peer leadership or teaching? Any hobbies, sports, or Arts involvement to help an application stand out?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on getting a research job this year and doing volunteer work at hospitals before applying next year. Do you think it is necessary for me to get a Masters degree to increase my gpa since my gpa was decent during the last two years of college. Also, my state residency is Louisiana.

You are fortunate to come from a state with some lenient state schools, where your stats are at or above their bottom tenth percentiles for acceptees.

I think you'd get more mileage from taking upper-level Bio/Biochem postbac undergrad classes. Most MD schools don't much regard grad level GPAs (though some do) and none of them merge the undergrad and grad GPAs into a single number. You might call the 2 schools to see what they prefer when some GPA repair is desirable.