Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sara411

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior in high school, applying to colleges. I know I want to be a doctor, and am debating between pediatrics and dermatology. One thing i find particularly appealing about derm. is the hours, because I want a family life. The places I am applying to for undergrad are:
Miami University (OH)
Ohio State University
University of Pittsburgh

Do you think any one of these schools will give me an advantage over the other because of recognition? Or is it true that your education is what you make of it? Will any of these three give me a greater chance of getting accepted into a medical school? Or should I apply to some private schools?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

sara411 said:
I'm a senior in high school, applying to colleges. I know I want to be a doctor, and am debating between pediatrics and dermatology. One thing i find particularly appealing about derm. is the hours, because I want a family life. The places I am applying to for undergrad are:
Miami University (OH)
Ohio State University
University of Pittsburgh

Do you think any one of these schools will give me an advantage over the other because of recognition? Or is it true that your education is what you make of it? Will any of these three give me a greater chance of getting accepted into a medical school? Or should I apply to some private schools?
Thank you!

You realize that Derm isn't the only field in medicine where you can work short hours. I'm sure there are MANY pediatricians that work less hours than dermatologists (and of course vice versa).
For what its worth, I truly beleive medschool is what you make of it. For a field like derm, doing VERY WELL in your courses will be more important than where you went to school.

I would agree with megacolon.

I also wouldn't pick a school just based on derm because your interests might change over time.

That being said, if you are absolutely sure you want to do derm, I would suggest picking a med school with a home derm department. It will make it easier to make contacts, do derm rotations, do derm research, etc...

But wherever you go, you're gonna need top grades, top board scores, top LOR's, etc... etc..! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
oh wow...I didn't even read your post correctly

if you are applying for undergrad, it makes no difference

just excel at whatever undergrad school you end up in and you should be fine!

sara411 said:
Miami University (OH)
Ohio State University
University of Pittsburgh

Thank you!
Like the others have said, where you go to undergrad makes no difference. I'm a senior in undergrad right now and will be starting medical school in the fall. I originally went to Miami of Ohio, but I ended up transferring to Bowling Green after my first semester. If you're from Ohio, you know that Bowling Green is an average state school. However, you're the one that gets yourself into medical school, not the school. I did plenty of extracurriculars, got decent grades and MCAT scores, and I got into medical school. I don't know about Pitt, but Miami and OSU both have programs where you can be accepted into medical school straight from high school. Have you looked into those? Good luck and if you have any questions about Miami I'd be glad to help you out.