Need some advice regarding my circumstances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stryker30

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN community,

I have been a long-time lurker on these forums and I would appreciate any help I can get from here regarding my situation.

I graduated with my bachelors about 5 years ago with the intention of going to medical school. My cgpa was about 3.75 and sgpa about 3.6. After I graduated, I had become depressed for many reasons and tried studying for the MCAT twice with my highest score being a 496. Discouraged by my low MCAT, I decided to work in different clinical related jobs to see if I might like something else. Four years later, I decided to enroll in a dual MBA/MS in Healthcare Management at a top 20 management school. Luckily my undergrad marks were high enough for me to bypass GRE and even the GMAT.

I'm nearly 30 with about an year left with my grad studies. Part of me wants to go into Healthcare Analytics or anything business related within Healthcare. But the other part of me wants to try again with the MCAT because I had invested so much time and resources in pursuing medical school over the years and I feel that it would be a waste if I dropped this dream altogether. Studying for the MCAT along with my grad studies is a huge commitment and I just can't around to choosing what path I should pursue.

Should I try again with the MCAT or should I remain focused on my MBA/MS and make the most of it?

I know at the end of the day it is up to me but I don't have many like minded folks to ask this question and I would appreciate any wisdom I can get here on SDN.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You're obviously interested in being a doctor because you are still thinking about it 5 years later. If you try again, you need to do something different in your studying. If you're not self-motivated, consider a taking a course or follow a pre-set up plan. You might want a tutor. If you don't have the time to study for the MCAT now, you could also delay studying but you'll then be figuring out how to study with a full-time job. Same time issue, but might be less mentally taxing depending on the material in grad studies.

Focus on your current studies and getting good LORs from your current professors, you're paying good money to be there.. Focus on your MCAT afterwards if you still want to pursue medicine. There's no benefit in trying to do both at the same time, you risk sinking both ships. Keep in mind that some schools prefer to see recent science coursework (to reassure them that you can still handle a science-heavy course load); not always feasible in many circumstances, but just something to keep in mind.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Focus on your current studies and getting good LORs from your current professors, you're paying good money to be there.. Focus on your MCAT afterwards if you still want to pursue medicine. There's no benefit in trying to do both at the same time, you risk sinking both ships. Keep in mind that some schools prefer to see recent science coursework (to reassure them that you can still handle a science-heavy course load); not always feasible in many circumstances, but just something to keep in mind.
Stole the words right outta my mouth.

Hello SDN community,

I have been a long-time lurker on these forums and I would appreciate any help I can get from here regarding my situation.

I graduated with my bachelors about 5 years ago with the intention of going to medical school. My cgpa was about 3.75 and sgpa about 3.6. After I graduated, I had become depressed for many reasons and tried studying for the MCAT twice with my highest score being a 496. Discouraged by my low MCAT, I decided to work in different clinical related jobs to see if I might like something else. Four years later, I decided to enroll in a dual MBA/MS in Healthcare Management at a top 20 management school. Luckily my undergrad marks were high enough for me to bypass GRE and even the GMAT.

I'm nearly 30 with about an year left with my grad studies. Part of me wants to go into Healthcare Analytics or anything business related within Healthcare. But the other part of me wants to try again with the MCAT because I had invested so much time and resources in pursuing medical school over the years and I feel that it would be a waste if I dropped this dream altogether. Studying for the MCAT along with my grad studies is a huge commitment and I just can't around to choosing what path I should pursue.

Should I try again with the MCAT or should I remain focused on my MBA/MS and make the most of it?

I know at the end of the day it is up to me but I don't have many like minded folks to ask this question and I would appreciate any wisdom I can get here on SDN.

Thank you!
What does your heart tell you????

What does your heart tell you????

My heart tells me to give it another shot but I'm just afraid of making more sacrifices only to get no where. I'm afraid of failing again. I have tried so many times in my past only to give up and look back and think how much time I had wasted for nothing.

MBA/MA it is then

My grad studies will go on as it is. However right now I can study for the MCAT as I'm not working. As much as I'd like to let go of it I know it will bother me if I don't take the opportunity to prepare for it.

I am capable and I want to do well. If I can exercise discipline stick to a set schedule and work towards the end goal than it might work in my favor.

The only reason I am in this situation is because for the longest time I had no options which compounded my depression. But now pursuing my grad studies gives me hope that I'm not in the same situation that I was once in. So again in my mind it comes down to two things....prepare for the MCAT while im in graduate school and make the most of it.............or I let go of the MCAT and strictly focus on graduate school.

I apologize if this is becoming redundant. But talking this out is helping me more than you can imagine.

My suggestion: focus strictly on graduate school and forget about the MCAT for now. After you've gotten your degree, then you can decide whether to pursue medicine.

If you were to study for the MCAT now while you're in graduate school, you risk doing poorly in both and having more doors close on you.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
My suggestion: focus strictly on graduate school and forget about the MCAT for now. After you've gotten your degree, then you can decide whether to pursue medicine.

If you were to study for the MCAT now while you're in graduate school, you risk doing poorly in both and having more doors close on you.
I agree 100000% with the wise Moko.

Thank you guys I appreciate it