Need some advice on dating and workload during residency as well as fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lawyerofip

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heya,

Around 1.5 months ago I started dating someone who is finishing her residency. We met at the wedding party and hit it off . Dating so far has been both fun and challenging. Additionally, I work in the legal field at one of the leading banks. So my schedule tends to be erratic and her schedule is equally erratic. So finding time is always difficult. Though we've managed to meet once per week now. Today when we met she brought up the whole topic of becoming couple. It was good.

She is planning to attend fellowship at a hospital in CO which is around 4 hour by flight from east coast, plus the time difference. So it's gonna be long distance. She is not sure how her schedule is gonna be during fellowship. Same goes for me as a young professional in my field, my schedule tend to be extremely erratic and busy depending on workload.

While I'm optimistic that we can work things out, I thought I'll ask some questions to avoid too many bumpy roads that may lie ahead. I wanted to get better idea from fellow members on how did you manage dating after finishing residency and at the start of fellowship? Also, what is/was your work-life balance during this period (first years of fellowship)?

Members don't see this ad.

So she asked you to be her boyfriend?
Lol...

I was surprised too. Not that I'm Brad Pitt lookalike nor have I oozing charisma of Jack Nicholson. And I'm also swarming in education debt. So I'm also truly confounded. Maybe she's been single far too long..

Members don't see this ad :)
I was surprised too. Not that I'm Brad Pitt lookalike nor have I oozing charisma of Jack Nicholson. And I'm also swarming in education debt. So I'm also truly confounded. Maybe she's been single far too long..

maybe she just likes you

but the humility here is a good thing for a relationship

Reactions: 1 users

Her biological clock is ticking, man.

Reactions: 6 users
You're lucky. I'm shallow and am only attracted to extremely good looking girls (aka the little blonde ones at your state school's sorority). Unfortunately, this is just not meant to be because I have nothing to "offer" to these women. I get ghosted and ignored like there is no tomorrow.

You can make it work, even long distance, but it is tough without a prior commitment. My good friend was long distance (literally east coast-west coast) for three years before getting married...but she and her boyfriend had been together for a while before that, not a short time as it sounds like you are. The nice thing about dating, though, is that if it doesn't work out, it's understandable and you can move on. So in my mind, there is no harm in trying--but with your busy lives, make a set time in your schedule to talk daily, and plan your visits well in advance. I did the same thing and it worked for me.

The true answer on how it's going to work is dependent on what field she's doing her fellowship in.
In a multi-year fellowship (say a pediatric subspecialty which would be 3 years) the first year will be tougher than years 2 and 3. If it's a one year family med sports medicine fellowship, it may be erratic schedule wise but not that physically, mentally and/or emotionally exhausting that other fields could be.

Bottom line, what's the harm in trying if she's willing to give it a go?

Reactions: 1 user
The true answer on how it's going to work is dependent on what field she's doing her fellowship in.
In a multi-year fellowship (say a pediatric subspecialty which would be 3 years) the first year will be tougher than years 2 and 3. If it's a one year family med sports medicine fellowship, it may be erratic schedule wise but not that physically, mentally and/or emotionally exhausting that other fields could be.

Bottom line, what's the harm in trying if she's willing to give it a go?

Thank you. Hers is in pediatrics at a hospital in CO. Yeah, I want to give it a go. She seems genuinely nice person. I'm just worried if she'll be too busy to even talk during fellowship everyday like things you do as a normal couple. I heard that's what happens during residency/fellowship.

Thank you. Hers is in pediatrics at a hospital in CO. Yeah, I want to give it a go. She seems genuinely nice person. I'm just worried if she'll be too busy to even talk during fellowship everyday like things you do as a normal couple. I heard that's what happens during residency/fellowship.

I PM'd you

Reactions: 1 user