Need opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PiBond

Call me Bond...PiBond
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to couples match with my girlfriend who is a year behind me in medical school. Which is a better option if I'm try to shoot for an ENT residency:

Option 1: MD/MBA--I'm currently enrolled in this dual degree but am having second thoughts (I already have an undergraduate finance degree from a top 10 program). This program would cost a fairly significant amount but there were 3 MD/MBAs from our school that matched into ENT this cycle. What say you, SDN?

Option 2: Research year--I think clinical research focused in ENT would be awesome but I'm slightly unsure about how to go about this and make it a productive year. From what I understand, "research" years can be a double-edged sword in medical school--I'd really need formal mentor that could help me turn out a significant project and/or paper(s).

Option 3: MD/MPH--not really keen on this idea but the public health school nearby is apparently one of the best.

Any input is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Do whatever you're most interested in.

You could certainly do substantial research in ENT during either a MBA or MPH year as both of these will be a joke compared to your med school curriculum.

You also go to a school with a big, well respected ENT department, I don't think it will be hard to find some research projects to work on.

Agree, whatever floats your boat.

Personally, I'd kill to have chosen to get an MBA. You have so many more doors opened up to you as a physician executive if you have an MBA. With this day in age, you need to have an exit strategy for medicine. It's that sucky that you need to be at least prepared to nose dive out if you hate it. An MBA is the single best gateway for that exit of the ones you listed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just go ahead and match and have her follow you. Might work out much better for the both of you, give you more flexibility. Why get a degree you care nothing about when you could advance your career by a year?

What does she want to do? If it's something non-competitive than your program you match at can certainly go to bat for her with the program she wants when the time comes, if she is reasonably qualified they will take her, as they want people that want to be there.

Just an option, I know some places frown on couples match and it might not work as well as you hope.

Business school is more about the connections you make and less about the actual education. You already have a finance degree and so you probably don't need the education as much. The connections won't really help you because you are not entering the business world and will be in residency/fellowship limbo for 5-7 years. I would only pursue the MBA if it was free. It just isn't worth that much to someone like you.

Couples match is risky. Your best bet is just to enter the match during 4th year and have her try to follow you. Also, "girlfriend" is far different from "wife."