need opinion/ advise / help on how to improve my C.V.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NGiorgi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,
I am a IMG from Argentina (University of Buenos Aires), I graduated a couple of years ago and decided this year to give my equivalency tests.
I have already done and passed my EE and plan to give my QE1 in November. Following will be a short summary of what I have on my C.V. Concidering I pass my QE1 (hey, one can dream :D), I'd like to know what I could do to improve my C.V. and increase my chances at a match.
(match being only once a year in Canada, I really do not want to be stuck out of the loop for a whole year.)

I am a Canadian citizen since 1985, travelled to Argentina in 1995 (I was 16) with my parents (they are argentinian and were feeling nostalgic).
I studied in a bilingual school in montreal (predominantly french though), before traveling to Buenos aires.

I obtained my diplomat in 2004, did not do a residency there, came directly here and got into a M.Sc. in Pathology and Cell Biology at the University of Montreal. I am now currently doing a PhD in Anatomy and Cell Biology at McGill university.
I've done a couple of electives in Buenos aires. I have also done some volunteer work (working as a trainee in a Molecular Biology lab at McGill) and I've also worked here in Montreal (as a research asistant both at University of Montreal and McGill.) I have a couple of poster and oral presentions from my research (although not much, around 6 in total.)

My letters of recomendation are from physicians practicing in Buenos Aires; and I have another LoR from my father (also an M.D. but practicing in Montreal), explaining my situation as a person in general, as a Canadian and as a Doctor, although not evaluating me as a doctor in my duties, for obvious reasons. (I truly do not know if this letter would actually do any good though.)
I speak both french and english fluently (and spanish, although doubt would make a difference.)

Next match iteration I would like to apply to both rehabilitation medicine or family medicine (since both may lead to sports medicine, atleast as far as I understand.)

So the question that still lingers... (and I guess everyone here has the same doubt/fears, etc...) Is this a "good" or acceptable C.V. ? How may I increase the "score" given to it ?
although (to my understanding atleast) the biggest part of a university's decision to accept you to an interview and later on a residency program, is you QE1 grade, how much can the C.V. account for ?
Are there ways to get a residency spot outside of the match ? (getting in outside of the match timeline)
Can one match with EE only or is that unrealistic ?

thank you very much to any and all who may know or even just have an opinion about any of this.

Nick

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: