Need Ideas for Speech & Hearing Club!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sjuspeech

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This year I'm working as secretary for the Speech & Hearing Club at my college. The club is for undergrad students interested in pursuing either Speech Pathology or Audiology as a career.

Last year, some events included bake sales, fundraising for Operation Smile, several walks, Student/Faculty Luncheons, service days and GRE information sessions.

I'd love to make the club as appealing and helpful as possible, adding a variety of new events, starting with making most of our events relevant to our future careers.

Any ideas of how to make more people want to join and how to make the club the best it can be are very much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Community hearing screenings are popular at my school. We also talk to middle and high school students about going into health science careers, by doing various presentations to emphasize the scope of practice such as hearing anatomy and noise-induced hearing loss.

You could visit an elementary school and educate them on noise exposure with their iPods and such!

Let's see... I think our club in undergrad did all the things you mentioned, plus we brought in several guest speakers who would talk on topics in either Speech Pathology or Audiology in our town or in the surrounding communities.

It wasn't for our club, but a class assignment had our group conduct a community project that was completely student-driven. Our group created a Hearing Awareness Week on campus. We designed flyers, set up a table on our quad, and even had wonderful members who discovered this wonderful machine made out of a mannequin that was hooked up to a sound level meter. We offered students walking by information about noise-induced hearing loss with pamphlets, posters, and allowed them to hook up their iPods to our "machine" that measured the decibel level their players were outputting, along with information about safe levels and time limits at varying ranges.

Other members created a wonderful video describing what excessive noise does to your ears and hearing, and we took this information and were able to present it to most health classes at the college.

It was a great experience! Much like what Maureen had to say about elementary students, which is another age bracket that is in need of NIHL awareness, your own campus could benefit as well! :)