Need Ideas for a Book to Gift

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Cinnabon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello again SDN

I hope this a good light-hearted question to distract everyone but in 4 days I'm going to Singapore for a few weeks to meet my SO's family. It's customary to give gifts when you do this and I've got some pretty generic gifts for most members of the family.

Now, the cool part, my SO's mother is career changing into the counseling field and currently doing her master's. She's a pretty pious woman and has been super excited to talk to me about this line of work seeing as how I'm "in the field" even if it's only as a lowly RA for now. I was thinking of getting her a book on Moral Injury and Spirituality as I know those are big deals for her but I'm struggling with what I should get her. Anyone know any books with similar themes that are interesting to digest, BUT not filled with a bunch of pseudoscience/misrepresents a lot of data?

Members don't see this ad.

The Book of Joy from the Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu comes to mind. If I'm remembering it correctly, their anecdotes were intertwined with peer-reviewed research throughout.

Reactions: 1 users
How about a classic like “On Becoming A Person” by Carl Rogers? “A Way of Being” is another Rogers classic. They aren’t spiritual in the way many think of spirituality, but both capture deep and meaningful ideas that are important in a person’s development as a clinician. I really got a lot out of both early in training, and I didn’t even want to do therapy.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All the above are excellent suggestions. I'll ask my SO to get a "feeler" for which she may prefer.

Reactions: 1 user