Need help :/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr.Terrific

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I need help and am willing to take any advice you have to offer. I saw someone else failed out of their smp program so I figured I’d ask. I was pretty burnt out during it and was asked to leave after my first semester. This was about a year ago.

1. 3.0 cgpa 2.9 sgpa (calculated By AMCAS)
2. After failing out I knew to even have someone feel I was worth looking at I had to kill the mcat so I got a 523. (130 Chem/Phys, 130 CARS, 132 Bio/Biochem, 131 Psych/Soc)
3. Indiana
4. Black American
5. Indiana University
6. 200 hrs of clinical exp.
7. 300 hours of research.
8. No shadowing
9. homeless shelters, nursing homes, heroine clinic 200 hrs
10. Tutor, Worked on campus, Peer mentor.

Scoring well on my MCAT gave me an ounce of hope but I don’t know where to go from here? Any ideas/tips?

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the forums.
It may help giving more details in your WAMC, but what was your GPA in the SMP? Why were you asked to leave?

Are you trying to shadow physicians or other health care professionals? Have you connected with mentoring organizations that support African-American aspiring physicians?

Reactions: 1 users
You should accumulate 50 hours of in person physician shadowing before you apply. What is the nature of your 200 hours of clinical volunteering ?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What was your GPA for your SMP?

Does he have to include the GPA from his SMP in his application? I’ve never known or even read about someone failing out of the SMP and then applying to med school.

You should accumulate 50 hours of in person physician shadowing before you apply. What is the nature of your 200 hours of clinical volunteering ?
I’m currently working as a scribe in the ED

What was your GPA for your SMP?

Does he have to include the GPA from his SMP in his application? I’ve never known or even read about someone failing out of the SMP and then applying to med school.
Before getting kicked out it was a 2.5. I know I’ve never heard of it either, but I scored a 523 on my MCAT after this. Like this cannot be the end for me

Welcome to the forums.
It may help giving more details in your WAMC, but what was your GPA in the SMP? Why were you asked to leave?

Are you trying to shadow physicians or other health care professionals? Have you connected with mentoring organizations that support African-American aspiring physicians?
I was asked to leave for poor performance. GPA was a 2.5.

I’m currently working as a scribe in the ED
Assign 50 hours of your scribing to physician shadowing. You could receive MD interviews but your best chances are at DO schools.
I suggest these MD schools:
Indiana
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Charles Drew
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Miami
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Belmont
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
For DO schools consider these
MU-COM
DUQCOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
CCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
Touro-NY
NYITCOM (all schools)
LMU-DCOM (all schools)
ARCOM
WCU-COM
OCOM
KHSC-COM
Noorda-COM
BCOM (all schools)
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.
Let us know how your application cycle worked out a year from now.

Assign 50 hours of your scribing to physician shadowing. You could receive MD interviews but your best chances are at DO schools.
I suggest these MD schools:
Indiana
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Charles Drew
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Miami
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Belmont
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
For DO schools consider these
MU-COM
DUQCOM
KCU-COM
TUNCOM
CCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
Touro-NY
NYITCOM (all schools)
LMU-DCOM (all schools)
ARCOM
WCU-COM
OCOM
KHSC-COM
Noorda-COM
BCOM (all schools)
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.
Let us know how your application cycle worked out a year from now.
I appreciate you taking the time to provide me this list it really means a lot. Just one last question, should I be unsuccessful after a couple cycles (not trying to be pessimistic but it’s definitely possible considering my situation) is the general consensus still to steer clear of the Caribbean MD schools? I’ve done my research and understand the MASSIVE risk I’d be taking despite my already very Unenvious position. However, the mission remains the same. And I’ve been told that doing bad in an SMP is a death note.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide me this list it really means a lot. Just one last question, should I be unsuccessful after a couple cycles (not trying to be pessimistic but it’s definitely possible considering my situation) is the general consensus still to steer clear of the Caribbean MD schools? I’ve done my research and understand the MASSIVE risk I’d be taking despite my already very Unenvious position. However, the mission remains the same. And I’ve been told that doing bad in an SMP is a death note.
Yes, no matter what going to Caribbean is a huge risk that isn't worth taking. You can read more on this here: ‘It’s Tough to Get Out’: How Caribbean Medical Schools Fail Their Students (Published 2021)

I would at least give it, should you have the time/energy/money, 2 cycles (at least until your MCAT expires.). Then you have to contemplate if you still want to give it a few more go's. With a solid school list that includes MD and DO, extensive review of your essays and interview prep, you'll still have a shot.

The GPA-MCAT grid for Black applicants shows you have a ~75% chance for a MD acceptance. It is much higher for DO schools. Apply to all the schools I suggested in June.

Reactions: 1 users
The GPA-MCAT grid for Black applicants shows you have a ~75% chance for a MD acceptance. It is much higher for DO schools. Apply to all the schools I suggested in June.
Understood. Thank you again, will keep this thread updated this cycle!