Need help with schools list (3.98GPA, 33MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigblackmama

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I need help with my US schools list. I'm a Canadian (Biochemistry degree at University of Toronto) applying to U.S. as well as canadian med schools this year.

I have a high GPA (3.98) but a rather average MCAT (33: 10PS, 11VR, 12BS).

ECs:
- 15 years of piano and violin - international licentiate diploma with distinctions (LTCL) and two ARCTs
- piano teacher (private instructor at a music school + volunteer teaching at elementary in low-income neighbourhood)
- 2 summers of research with studentship awards (NSERC, Life Science Award UofT) + 2 school years of research (3rd year project and 4th year thesis project) - no publications, but have presented poster at symposiums
- lots of student leadership activities (sports team captain, student council, president of department student union for 2 years, etc.) - over 600 hours
- shadowing physician for ~30 hours
- volunteering at various hospitals ~80 hours

Which schools do I have a realistic shot at?

My current list:
Dartmouth
Einstein
Columbia
Brown??

Also, for international applicants - is it disadvantageous to show that we are not financially well-off? e.g. in the AMCAS application it asks about whether you are from a disadvantaged background. I know that for US applicants, often admitting that you are from a financially disadvantaged background and has overcome hurdles to get to where you are will help the application. But for international applicants, will this hinder my application? Since financial aid is not offered for international applicants...

Thanks in advance for anyone who can answer my questions.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If accepted, you will need to be able to show sufficient funds in an escrow account to pay for some specified number of years at many (most?) of the 62 programs that accept international applicants.

You will need to purchase the MSAR and investigate.

Thanks. So the financial status of the applicant supposedly will play no part in the admittance process?