Need help with school choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daisy Randall

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a highschool student looking at colleges for veterinary degrees. I know the three that seem to be best for me are RUSVM, NCSU, and UGA. I know I have to complete Under grad but I just would really like to start looking at my options. I would like to get responses from current DVM students at atleast these colleges. Just to understand what I'm looking at tuition and money wise. I f you have anything that could help please reply to this thread. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'm a highschool student looking at colleges for veterinary degrees. I know the three that seem to be best for me are RUSVM, NCSU, and UGA. I know I have to complete Under grad but I just would really like to start looking at my options. I would like to get responses from current DVM students at atleast these colleges. Just to understand what I'm looking at tuition and money wise. I f you have anything that could help please reply to this thread. Thanks!
Go to the cheapest undergrad you can. Major in whatever you want. Do well in your classes. Take all the prereqs you need. Be involved in lots of things and get vet shadowing experience. Document it all-hours, contact info, start and end dates, what you did, etc. Google any of those schools including vet school and you can find a plethera of information on them including current tuition rates-these will go up. Ex: "NCSU vet school" or "NCSU vet school tuition". VIN is a great cost resource. VIN Foundation Cost of Education Map
Rankings don't matter and go to the cheapest school-this applies for undergrad and vet school. @SkiOtter has some amazing gifs for these because we cannot emphasize these points enough.

Reactions: 4 users
Rankings don't matter and go to the cheapest school-this applies for undergrad and vet school. @SkiOtter has some amazing gifs for these because we cannot emphasize these points enough.
Hello I am here.
You can see them in my signature. One was made by the lovely @hygebeorht and the other by the lovely @Miranda Senft

But I agree with what mixy was saying. Go to the cheapest undergrad you can, doesnt have to be one with a vet school. And then for vet school, go to the cheapest one you can as well.
Vin also has another new website for people who are considering vet school and are early in the process Vet School Bound

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello I am here.
You can see them in my signature. One was made by the lovely @hygebeorht and the other by the lovely @Miranda Senft

But I agree with what mixy was saying. Go to the cheapest undergrad you can, doesnt have to be one with a vet school. And then for vet school, go to the cheapest one you can as well.
Vin also has another new website for people who are considering vet school and are early in the process Vet School Bound
tenor.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! I'm a highschool student looking at colleges for veterinary degrees. I know the three that seem to be best for me are RUSVM, NCSU, and UGA.
May I ask why you think that these three schools are the "best" for you? Are you a resident of North Carolina or Georgia? Why Ross? Is there something in particular that attracts you to these schools?

I know I have to complete Under grad but I just would really like to start looking at my options.
I commend you for taking the initiative to research vet school admissions this early on, but honestly, at the stage that you are currently at, I would focus primarily on getting into and through undergrad as cheaply as possible, as @MixedAnimals77 mentioned above. And, if you at all can, find a vet to shadow to start gaining some experience in the field (you'll need a good deal of it come VMCAS time) and make sure that it is actually something that you are truly interested in pursuing before spending the money on getting prereqs done. It need not be anything terribly extensive at this point; even dropping in a clinic to follow a doctor for a couple of hours every few weeks will help you visualize the nitty gritty aspects of the work and make an informed decision regarding whether or not to continue down the pre-vet path.

I would like to get responses from current DVM students at atleast these colleges. Just to understand what I'm looking at tuition and money wise. I f you have anything that could help please reply to this thread. Thanks!
You're looking at spending a lot of money on education if a DVM is the goal. Easily $100,000+ once interest is accounted for, even if you get out of undergrad without having to take out any loans. If you attend an OOS school, expect upwards of $200,000 or even so much as $300,000 once it's all said and done. Vet school alone, depending on where you attend, may cost you upwards of a quarter of a million dollars. And, again, this does not include undergrad costs. That is why we stress so much that you need to make concretely sure that it is actually what you want to do and that you should try to spend the least amount of money possible in order to do it. As was previously posted, attend the most inexpensive undergraduate school that you are able to (if you can get out with zero debt through scholarships/grants/savings, even better), apply selectively to vet schools that are less expensive for you and you have a realistic chance of getting into. If the state that you live in has a vet school or a contract with another state's school, that will almost always be the cheapest option; there are also a few schools that will allow you to switch residency status partway through, which can translate into potential savings of $100,000+ once all is said and done. NCSU is one of them, and it is much cheaper than many other schools, but OOS admissions there are quite rough.

Keep in mind, too, that even if you do make it into vet school, there is always the chance that you could fail out or have to leave for life or health reasons - even more of a reason to take the least expensive avenue that you can.

I recommend checking out the VIN Cost of Education map in order to get an idea of just how much vet school will cost you: https://vetschoolbound.org/how-much-will-my-veterinary-education-cost/

Last edited by a moderator:
May I ask why you think that these three schools are the "best" for you? Are you a resident of North Carolina or Georgia? Why Ross? Is there something in particular that attracts you to these schools?

Yes you may, NCSU and UGA I am able to drive home from them. And honestly RUSVM I am still in the research phase of that one, I would like to at least look at it before I cross it off. I really feel attracted to these schools so I yes there is something that attracts me to these schools. My heart is pulling me between these three schools. So I know I need to research them before I decide that's where I would like to go.

I commend you for taking the initiative to research vet school admissions this early on, but honestly, at the stage that you are currently at, I would focus primarily on getting into and through undergrad as cheaply as possible, as @MixedAnimals77 mentioned above. And, if you at all can, find a vet to shadow to start gaining some experience in the field (you'll need a good deal of it come VMCAS time) and make sure that it is actually something that you are truly interested in pursuing before spending the money on getting prereqs done. It need not be anything terribly extensive at this point; even dropping in a clinic to follow a doctor for a couple of hours every few weeks will help you visualize the nitty gritty aspects of the work and make an informed decision regarding whether or not to continue down the pre-vet path.

I know I am going to be attending University of South Carolina Aiken for my undergrad as it is within driving distance of my home. I also have been shadowing a local vet who is very competent and absolutely loves his patients. I am planning on spending at least two days a week there this summer. I am planning on keep records of my time there considering it's an important thing to know. I also live with my grandparents who have bred dogs for a very long time and already understand a good bit about canine medicine. I have given sub cutaneous shots as well as given dogas pills and inter muscular shots. I regularly help clean our kennels and wash dogs. I have helped with x rays as well. I really love this field and would like to do it for the rest of my life.

Yes you may, NCSU and UGA I am able to drive home from them. And honestly RUSVM I am still in the research phase of that one, I would like to at least look at it before I cross it off. I really feel attracted to these schools so I yes there is something that attracts me to these schools. My heart is pulling me between these three schools. So I know I need to research them before I decide that's where I would like to go.

I know I am going to be attending University of South Carolina Aiken for my undergrad as it is within driving distance of my home. I also have been shadowing a local vet who is very competent and absolutely loves his patients. I am planning on spending at least two days a week there this summer. I am planning on keep records of my time there considering it's an important thing to know. I also live with my grandparents who have bred dogs for a very long time and already understand a good bit about canine medicine. I have given sub cutaneous shots as well as given dogas pills and inter muscular shots. I regularly help clean our kennels and wash dogs. I have helped with x rays as well. I really love this field and would like to do it for the rest of my life.
Even though you have gotten some exposure to vetmed through your grandparents dogs, I strongly, strongly, STORONGY recommend shadowing a veterinarian before fully making the decision. Giving vaccines and pills and helping with X-rays isn’t a good picture of this field and I really recommend that you do shadow somewhere before fully deciding. If after shadowing a good amount, you do decide vetmed is where you want to be, cool, but you may realize it’s different than your initial impression.

Also, I believe there are schools that have contract seats for SC residents (I think UGA and MS State?) so I would highly recommend looking into what schools have contract seats currently. Those would be your cheaper options. Also Ross is going to be one of your more expensive options especially because things have to be flown in, like toilet paper, deodorant, etc.
The map that’s been linked a couple times may say what states SC has a contract with and those would be one of your best options because you’ll be competing with less people (though for fewer seats) and you’ll be getting much cheaper tuition than most anywhere you’ll find OOS.

Even though you have gotten some exposure to vetmed through your grandparents dogs, I strongly, strongly, STORONGY recommend shadowing a veterinarian before fully making the decision. Giving vaccines and pills and helping with X-rays isn’t a good picture of this field and I really recommend that you do shadow somewhere before fully deciding. If after shadowing a good amount, you do decide vetmed is where you want to be, cool, but you may realize it’s different than your initial impression.

Also, I believe there are schools that have contract seats for SC residents (I think UGA and MS State?) so I would highly recommend looking into what schools have contract seats currently. Those would be your cheaper options. Also Ross is going to be one of your more expensive options especially because things have to be flown in, like toilet paper, deodorant, etc.
The map that’s been linked a couple times may say what states SC has a contract with and those would be one of your best options because you’ll be competing with less people (though for fewer seats) and you’ll be getting much cheaper tuition than most anywhere you’ll find OOS.

I have planned on shadowing a vet, I never actually planned on not I was just stating what I had done just to give you and others an idea about the little bit of experience I've had

I have planned on shadowing a vet, I never actually planned on not I was just stating what I had done just to give you and others an idea about the little bit of experience I've had
I realize this, but I’m saying before you get far into the pre-vet path that you should shadow a vet and make sure that it is for you, so I’m saying to shadow soon instead of like it two years after you’ve completed most of your pre-reqs because it may end up not being what you thought it was once you actually shadow a vet

Reactions: 1 user
I realize this, but I’m saying before you get far into the pre-vet path that you should shadow a vet and make sure that it is for you, so I’m saying to shadow soon instead of like it two years after you’ve completed most of your pre-reqs because it may end up not being what you thought it was once you actually shadow a vet
I am making sure of it. I am in my first year of highschool so yes I am shadowing for the next couple years at least.

Want to piss off a vet.....

Tell them you breed dogs so therefore you know about veterinary medicine. You know about breeding, not about medicine. If you are interested in this field, respect that difference. Also, shadow a vet.

I am making sure of it. I am in my first year of highschool so yes I am shadowing for the next couple years at least.

You’ve got so much time still. Spend some time with a vet, but heck, go be a high schooler. Try and make some good friends and don’t worry about college for a little while, aside from keeping your GPA at a good level.

Reactions: 5 users
You’ve got so much time still. Spend some time with a vet, but heck, go be a high schooler. Try and make some good friends and don’t worry about college for a little while, aside from keeping your GPA at a good level.
Yes, this.

OP, I was replying under the assumption that you were a junior or senior in high school, not someone just starting out as a freshman. Seriously, don't even worry about this right now; you may change your mind regarding career goals one hundred times between now and college, anyway. It happens.

As TT said, right now you should focus on making good grades so that you can potentially earn some hefty scholarships down the line and maybe shadow a vet or two if you want and have the time to do it. And have some fun while you're still young.

I would like to thank everyone for their input. It's very helpful and if you all read through the replies you will see that I plan to do some vet shadowing. I also would like to reply to a comment made. Yes I understand the difference between knowing veterinary medicine and helping medicate dogs. I also understand that just because I've done somethings doesnt make me an expert. But I was just giving you a little background as to why I really like this field.

Last edited:

Best of luck to you over the next several years!

You will be so glad that you are keeping records of your hours from the start, especially since you are starting so early. The hours you spend working for your grandparents should be logged as animal experience and the hours you are spending shadowing the vet as vet experience. By the time you are ready to apply for vet school, you should have a lot of experience :) As you get older, you should consider shadowing and/or working for vets in different areas of veterinary medicine. It's important to show that you have an understanding in more than one area of medicine. I'm assuming you are currently shadowing a small animal practice, so look for a large animal vet or an equine practice or an emergency practice.

Attending USC - aiken is a great option for under grad and keeping costs down especially if you are able to commute. As others have mentioned, South Carolina has contracts with UGA (currently 17 seats) and Miss State (currently 5 seats). Those 2 would likely be your cheapest options. Can't beat instate tuition rates!!!!!!! Once you get to college, make sure that you are on track for completing the pre-req's for those schools.

Want to piss off a vet.....

Tell them you breed dogs so therefore you know about veterinary medicine. You know about breeding, not about medicine. If you are interested in this field, respect that difference. Also, shadow a vet.
Getting veterinary advice from a breeder is like getting gynecological advice from a pimp.

Also, don't forget that it's okay to change your mind. I thought I wanted to be a small animal vet when I was in high school. I was a SA vet assistant for 3.5 years and I knew after 6 months that it wasn't for me. I stayed so long because I'm a stubborn person and I wanted to love it more than I actually did. If you start shadowing and think ummmm, maybe I don't want to do this - that's okay! There are so many other cool careers out there. It can be really difficult to shift your goals when you've been planning them for such a long time. Just try to keep an open mind as you leave high school. :)

I wanted to be an equine vet in freshman year of high school. By the time I graduated, multiple equine vets and other equine professionals had talked me out of it and I went to a college far away from horses in order to major in biochemistry with the intent of doing genetic research or scientific writing. I was adrift within the first semester. Considered changing my major half a dozen times from biochem to bio, to english, to education (I considered becoming a bio teacher), to dropping out completely and taking a gap year to work as a working student for a horse trainer somewhere while I figured out my life. Then I went home, watched a vet castrate a donkey on the farm my horse was boarded at, and she talked me into giving vet med a second chance. HOWEVER. It wasn't until I spent about 400 hours shadowing at a local small animal clinic before I felt comfortable saying vet med is definitely the path I want to take. Veterinary medicine is very, very different from what I thought it was as a freshman in high school. I'm pleased to report that it is a positive difference and that I am more certain than ever in my decision to go into the field, but I wanted to give my perspective as someone who went back and forth between the decision to pursue veterinary medicine.
You really cannot say whether you want to become a vet until you have shadowed extensively in a clinic, and this is because so much of veterinary medicine is working with the clients- not the pets. Until you actually experience and observe the dynamic between clients, pets, secretary, vet tech, and veterinarian in a functioning practice, you don't have the perspective to know whether it's something you want to do. At this point in your life, the only thing you should really worry about is keeping a word document listing all of your activities, clubs, awards, and experiences. Worry about the rest later, when you actually know for sure that it is something you want to do. Enjoy high school, and life before everything gets crazy and stressful.

At this point in your life, the only thing you should really worry about is keeping a word document listing all of your activities, clubs, awards, and experiences.
Tbh this’ll even help with undergrad apps because I know on the common app (idk what the school op is planning on going to uses or if it’s a similar setup if not common app, but this applies for other readers too who ARE applying with the common app) there were sections for awards, clubs, etc so just having that would be helpful for that too