Need help with I-85/I-99 conundrum!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mic2377

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I recently completed my EMT-I course, and am preparing to take my state certification exam. I had been planning to take the EMT-P class starting this fall, however, plans have changed and I will be moving to another state. I would really like to have my NREMT-I credential, since it will likely make it much easier to find employment.

The state I took my class in is an I-85 state, but I am moving to an I-99 state. I would also like to test for my NREMT-I credential, but I am fairly sure that it is an I-99 standard.

Am I still eligible to test for the NREMT-I? Or do I need to take a bridge course? I haven't been able to get much info on this since everybody I know is either a EMT-B or an EMT-P.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Since EMT-I85 and 99 are national registry levels of testing, the NREMT requires graduation from a state approved program that covers the said curriculum. Therefore, you need to get with the people who taught your class and see if you are able to take the NREMT-I99 written and psychomotor exams. If you took NREMT-I85 upon graduation from your class, I would assume the course did not meet the requirements for 99.

However, in a few years, much of the 85 & 99 conundrum will no longer be valid as the transition into the national SOP essentially gets rid of both 85 & 99. The only intermediate type level at the national level will be what is called an AEMT (advanced EMT). This will essentially be an 85 with limited pharmacology knowledge.

The links on this thread will give you the complete story regarding these changes:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=642293