Need help with finding how many chiral carbons are there in this Destroyer problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CherryBlossom1412

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why the middle C is not considered chiral? because the C on top and bottom attached to different group (COOH and Br). THat doesn't make these two Carbons different from each other so the middle one is chiral? (pic attached)

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 221.jpg
    221.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 66
A chiral center requires 4 distinct groups branching from the central carbon. In the case of your problem, two groups are identical. As a result that carbon in question is not chiral.

Even if the identical groups branching off of the central carbon have differing stereochemistry, they're still considered identical.

Reactions: 1 user
A chiral center requires 4 distinct groups branching from the central carbon. In the case of your problem, two groups are identical. As a result that carbon in question is not chiral.

Even if the identical groups branching off of the central carbon have differing stereochemistry, they're still considered identical.

Omg I see it now. I was silly haha thank you!!!