Need help to decide what to do Ortho ENT Optho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aknemu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year, and we have to declare within the next few months and I'm having a tough time figuring out what to do. I'm currently on my first rotation (surgery), and I like it, but I also want to have a life, and I want to have more clinic time then most general surgeons. So I've narrowed my list down to three things Ortho, Ophtho, and ENT and now I'm having a difficult time figuring out which one, and I've made a list of pros and cons:

Ortho:
pros: cool surgeries, surgeries occur on a big scale
cons: least life style friendly, trauma call, longest training, physically most difficult, can get redundant, culture in some places

ENT:
pros: huge variety of surgeries and stuff in clinic
cons: complicated anatomy, long surgeries

Optho:
pros: instant gratification, good scope for global medicine, short surgeries, sit during surgeries
cons: surgery can get redundant (cataracts)

I also know that I get bored if I do the same thing over and over again, and I know I want to have a career related to global health

Members don't see this ad.

Your list seems good and you presented some pros and cons, but you didn't mention what was important to you that could help distinguish between these potential fields. I think your best bet would be to do some shadowing/rotations/research in these fields and find out more before making a decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
step: 244, so I know that regardless of what I do I probably won't be competitive for a "top tier" or academic program, and I'm ok with that.

Most important things in no particular order
Variety
Global Medicine
innovations in the field
ability to scale back when older: this is less important to me, but still important. My parents worked long hours when I was a kid, and I know that kind of bothered me so I don't want to have to put my future hypothetical kids through that.

step: 244, so I know that regardless of what I do I probably won't be competitive for a "top tier" or academic program, and I'm ok with that.

Variety
Global Medicine
innovations in the field
ability to scale back when older: this is less important to me, but still important. My parents worked long hours when I was a kid, and I know that kind of bothered me so I don't want to have to put my future hypothetical kids through that.

Do you have any research experience? How about connections with home ENT/ortho programs? Without pretty good demonstration of interest in ortho or ENT, and a below average step 1, it's going to be an uphill battle. I know less about ophtho, but it's probably the same.

Variety
Global Medicine
innovations in the field

All of that (except maybe variety depending on your practice) fits well with ophthalmology.

my research experience includes two pubmed articles one as first author and one as a second author several abstracts and a few presentations.