Need help on MSTP interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

efaefae

Reaction score
I have had four MD/PhD (MSTP) interviews so far and they have gone terribly so far (compared to my MD only interviews). I have two mor and feel like a sitting duck at this point. Any advice on how to talk about your research? I feel like sometimes they don't follow me and the interview goes off the rails quickly. Need help preferable from an interviewee who has found success in this bloodbath. I'm trying my hardest to get an MSTP program but if the only I get is a third rate one I will have to settle with MD.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have had four MD/PhD (MSTP) interviews so far and they have gone terribly so far (compared to my MD only interviews). I have two more at UTSW and Baylor and feel like a sitting duck at this point. Any advice on how to talk about your research? I feel like sometimes they don't follow me and the interview goes off the rails quickly. Need help preferable from an interviewee who has found success in this bloodbath.

@Lucca

I have had four MD/PhD (MSTP) interviews so far and they have gone terribly so far (compared to my MD only interviews). I have two more at UTSW and Baylor and feel like a sitting duck at this point. Any advice on how to talk about your research? I feel like sometimes they don't follow me and the interview goes off the rails quickly. Need help preferable from an interviewee who has found success in this bloodbath.

@Lucca is a successful MSTP candidate in the current cycle and is the king of interview offers.

@Fencer is a MSTP Director.

Members don't see this ad :)
have you had a chance to practice with both your lab members (people who are in a good place to ask the "deeper" questions and point out inconsistencies in your knowledge) and friends who are science majors but not necessarily in your field (people who can identify areas where your explanation is confusing or incomplete). you will likely interview with a mix of both and you can figure out pretty easily via the school's website who is going to have the background knowledge and who isn't, so tailor your discussion to what you know about the person. Also, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing if the discussion gets "derailed" as you say. perhaps you are just having some post-interview anxiety! The point isn't that you can regurgitate everything you've ever done to each interviewer (they have your essays to fall back on) but to see whether you can carry on an intelligent scientific conversation.

have you had a chance to practice with both your lab members (people who are in a good place to ask the "deeper" questions and point out inconsistencies in your knowledge) and friends who are science majors but not necessarily in your field (people who can identify areas where your explanation is confusing or incomplete). you will likely interview with a mix of both and you can figure out pretty easily via the school's website who is going to have the background knowledge and who isn't, so tailor your discussion to what you know about the person. Also, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing if the discussion gets "derailed" as you say. perhaps you are just having some post-interview anxiety! The point isn't that you can regurgitate everything you've ever done to each interviewer (they have your essays to fall back on) but to see whether you can carry on an intelligent scientific conversation.
I have conversations with my lab members often. One interview went well (I spoke for 2 hours to my interviewer the day before during dinner, which was awesome). I just feel like sometimes for ppl outside the field of interest just get lost since the overall nature of my project is simple. Like I legit start of with "im trying to get the structure of protein X using Cryo-EM". I got one MD/PhD program but their research sucks in the field I am interested in so its kinda annoying lol.

I have conversations with my lab members often. One interview went well (I spoke for 2 hours to my interviewer the day before during dinner, which was awesome). I just feel like sometimes for ppl outside the field of interest just get lost since the overall nature of my project is simple. Like I legit start of with "im trying to get the structure of protein X using Cryo-EM". I got one MD/PhD program but their research sucks in the field I am interested in so its kinda annoying lol.

Ah yes, CryoEM. As a fellow biophysicist, I also struggle communicating to straight biologists why they should care about my work. As you already know, it’s always important to know your audience. With MDs / non scientists, I start off with the ultimate clinical problem we are trying to work on: “Our lab works on X disease” or “My work is attempting to solve X problem which is currently unsolved in Y field.” With fellow scientists I usually lead with the hypothesis. Instead of saying, “I am trying to get the structure of X protein using CryoEM” try something like “we want to understand the mechanism of Z process, where Y protein plays an important role. By solving the structure of Y protein with the resolution of cryoEM, we can push the field forward by answering these questions....”

Etc

Reactions: 1 users
Ah yes, CryoEM. As a fellow biophysicist, I also struggle communicating to straight biologists why they should care about my work. As you already know, it’s always important to know your audience. With MDs / non scientists, I start off with the ultimate clinical problem we are trying to work on: “Our lab works on X disease” or “My work is attempting to solve X problem which is currently unsolved in Y field.” With fellow scientists I usually lead with the hypothesis. Instead of saying, “I am trying to get the structure of X protein using CryoEM” try something like “we want to understand the mechanism of Z process, where Y protein plays an important role. By solving the structure of Y protein with the resolution of cryoEM, we can push the field forward by answering these questions....”

Etc
This is amazing advice. Thanks so much. Also, I am still preparing the sample for CryoEM, so I'm still not really familiar with the detailed nature of the process so **** gets awkward quick if they talk about the nature of the software lol. Also, you classified Cryo-EM as "biophysics", but the lab I work in for CryoEM is under the department of biochemistry. UTSW classifies as biophysics as well... so I'll just say im interested in your biophysics department b/c of your Cryo-EM core?

Last edited:
...oh boy this is awkward, I'm pretty sure I have met you lol :whistle:

This is amazing advice. Thanks so much. Also, I am still preparing the sample for CryoEM, so I'm still not really familiar with the detailed nature of the process so **** gets awkward quick if they talk about the nature of the software lol

(Re)Read the major papers from the development of CryoEM and reviews by the Nobel Laureates. You should know the technical details of your technique. I’ve been grilled many, many times on the minutiae of optics and microscopy on the trail. CryoEM theory is super dense so people probably won’t get too deep, but you should be able to make a lay person understand how you get from sample to image, what affects your resolution, the limitations of the technique, and when/why it’s more appropriate to use another technique like XRay or NMR.

Half of my committee interview at the school that accepted me was debating microscopy techniques with a committee member lol.