Need help for a school list for DO + MD programs with extremely low MCAT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuro244

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my MCAT last July but ended up having a bad day/experience because my stamina/energy fell off midway and the night before I was stressed out a bit. I ended up blind guessing on 50-60 questions (due to not being able to move quickly enough to finish which has been a huge issue for me, I have since then improved on finishing faster but am still working on it) and still ended up having it scored which was a huge mistake in retrospect. I ended up getting a 488 (C/P:122, CARS: 121, B/B: 120, P/S: 125). I am planning on retaking the exam, BUT I won't be taking it until August 9th, and at the current rate of progress, I'm thinking of pushing it to August 30th. I know this is lethal trust me I've heard it millions of times, but this is my current situation.

Due to getting a 488 last year, I ended up taking a gap year so I will not be taking another one and this is the year I'm applying 100%. I'm a non-traditional student, so for me, time is of the essence. Moreover, my cumulative GPA is 3.83 and science GPA is 3.79 (these are according to AACOMAS). According to AMCAS, I have a science GPA of 3.76, and a cumulative GPA of 3.80. I have 5 solid letters of recommendation, and a couple of thousands of hours of volunteer work across UCLA, Kaiser, hospice, homeless shelter volunteer work, shadowing physical therapists, a PA, an MD, and prior work experience (non-healthcare field). I am a California resident. Everything on my application is rock solid except for the MCAT score. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't even be here posting about my situation. I'm shooting for a 508, but assuming I retake the exam and in a worst-case scenario score between a 500-502, what schools can I apply to in the meantime with my 488 so I can at least start pre-writing my secondaries and get those out of the way? I want to have a realistic school list so even with this low score it's not a complete waste of time/money to apply to for the time being. I realize the programs will either reject me or put my application on hold until receiving the new MCAT score, which won't be released until October 1st, 2019.

I should also mention that I'm only looking for schools who have a true P/F system (no pseudo pass/fail system where they have high pass/honors system for the first 2 years). Also a school with non-mandatory lectures for pre-clinical years with the option to watch recorded lectures from home at your own pace.

I already have my application verified with both AACOMAS and AMCAS. If anybody can also think of some very low tier MD programs I can apply to in the meantime as well to prewrite secondaries for, I would appreciate it. I have 10 programs for MD's in the time being (based on my own research on MSAR and looking at older threads on SDN) but am not sure if these are the exact schools I should be applying to. These schools are:

1. WVU
2. Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
3. Medical College of Wisconsin
4. University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences
5. Marshall University Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine
6. Morehouse School of Medicine
7. Meharry Medical College
8. Howard University College of Medicine
9. Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine & Science
10. I know it's a long shot, but I'm going to apply to Kaiser school of medicine as that's my number 1 choice and it's there first year of taking students in so assuming my MCAT score is above a 502 or 503, I still want to have that as one reach school.

Thank you in advance, and please don't tell me to take a gap year or to look into a different profession as I've already mentioned time is of the essence for me and I've already put this off last year and for quite some time now. This is the path I want to take and want to create a realistic path for myself. Please only help me if you're not a troll, condescending, or demoralizing. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You’re not really competitive for any schools with a 488 MCAT. Even if you do score 508, the schools that average would put you at 498.

An August 30th MCAT date means you get scores back early Oct and maybe into AMCAS/AACOMAS mid Oct which makes you late for MD. Schools also probably won’t sit on your app waiting for the new score.

Are you URM? Because Morehouse, Meharry and Howard are HBCUs. What’s your state of residence? Because most of the other schools on your list have strong IS bias.

I don’t think getting into MD is possible this year. DO might be if you get a good MCAT and submit by the end of October.

You’re not really competitive for any schools with a 488 MCAT. Even if you do score 508, the schools that average would put you at 498.

An August 30th MCAT date means you get scores back early Oct and maybe into AMCAS/AACOMAS mid Oct which makes you late for MD. Schools also probably won’t sit on your app waiting for the new score.

Are you URM? Because Morehouse, Meharry and Howard are HBCUs. What’s your state of residence? Because most of the other schools on your list have strong IS bias.

I don’t think getting into MD is possible this year. DO might be if you get a good MCAT and submit by the end of October.

To your first point, I'm not applying to schools that average out the MCAT scores, so they would asses each score individually which makes that point void. I would get my score back on October 1st exactly. What do you mean by maybe into AMCAS by mid oct? They get the score instantaneously uploaded into AMCAS/AACOMAS as soon as it's available. I'm not URM. What do you mean by "HBCU"? I'm a CA resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
I should also mention that I'm only looking for schools who have a true P/F system (no pseudo pass/fail system where they have high pass/honors system for the first 2 years). Also a school with non-mandatory lectures for pre-clinical years with the option to watch recorded lectures from home at your own pace.

Beggers can't be choosers. You're not in a spot where you have the option to pick and choose.

HBCU = historically black colleges and you say you're not URM so your chances are those on your list are slim.

Due to getting a 488 last year, I ended up taking a gap year so I will not be taking another one and this is the year I'm applying 100%.

You took a gap year after scoring a 488. Why didn't you retake during the gap year?

Moreover, my cumulative GPA is 3.83 and science GPA is 3.79 (these are according to AACOMAS). According to AMCAS, I have a science GPA of 3.76, and a cumulative GPA of 3.80. I have 5 solid letters of recommendation, and a couple of thousands of hours of volunteer work across UCLA, Kaiser, hospice, homeless shelter volunteer work, shadowing physical therapists, a PA, an MD, and prior work experience (non-healthcare field).

Awesome GPA and ECs! Any reason you decided to shadow a physical therapist and PA?

what schools can I apply to in the meantime with my 488 so I can at least start pre-writing my secondaries and get those out of the way? I want to have a realistic school list so even with this low score it's not a complete waste of time/money to apply to for the time being.

Your MCAT score is several standard deviations below the DO and MD applicant pool. That means that your score pins you at the very bottom of the applicant pool. Schools can think you're an incredible person, but be reluctant to take you onboard because - statistically - you are at risk of failing the board exams.

I am sorry, but there is no school that you can apply to with your current score that I wouldn't consider a complete waste of time and money. Unfortunately, your score prohibits a "realistic" school list. You can try, and you may secure an acceptance, but you would be extremely lucky. Winning-the-lottery level lucky.

The MD programs you listed, the ones with MCATs of 502-505, are HBCUs and seeking URM students. As an ORM, you don't have a great shot at those programs.

Your MCAT score is limiting enough - I wouldn't impose any more restrictions on yourself.

Thank you in advance, and please don't tell me to take a gap year or to look into a different profession as I've already mentioned time is of the essence for me and I've already put this off last year and for quite some time now. This is the path I want to take and want to create a realistic path for myself. Please only help me if you're not a troll, condescending, or demoralizing. Thank you.

People wouldn't tell you to take a gap year, or seek alternative careers, to be mean. There's plenty of bad-attitudes on SDN, and sometimes folks are overly critical of good applicants, but you need to be realistic with yourself. I understand not wanting to wait - but medical school isn't going anywhere. You're probably like me - mid 20s and impatient - but medical school isn't going anywhere. Why not hold off and apply when you're truly competitive, instead of buying an expensive lottery ticket?

I have been told that the DO cycle runs longer. You could wait until your new MCAT score becomes available and apply as a competitive candidate to DO programs in September/October.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You took a gap year after scoring a 488. Why didn't you retake during the gap year?

Awesome GPA and ECs! Any reason you decided to shadow a physical therapist and PA?

Your MCAT score is several standard deviations below the DO and MD applicant pool. That means that your score pins you at the very bottom of the applicant pool. Schools can think you're an incredible person, but be reluctant to take you onboard because - statistically - you are at risk of failing the board exams.

I am sorry, but there is no school that you can apply to with your current score that I wouldn't consider a complete waste of time and money. Unfortunately, your score prohibits a "realistic" school list. You can try, and you may secure an acceptance, but you would be extremely lucky. Winning-the-lottery level lucky.

The MD programs you listed, the ones with MCATs of 502-505, are HBCUs and seeking URM students. As an ORM, you don't have a great shot at those programs.

Your MCAT score is limiting enough - I wouldn't impose any more restrictions on yourself.

People wouldn't tell you to take a gap year, or seek alternative careers, to be mean. There's plenty of bad-attitudes on SDN, and sometimes folks are overly critical of good applicants, but you need to be realistic with yourself. I understand not wanting to wait - but medical school isn't going anywhere. You're probably like me - mid 20s and impatient - but medical school isn't going anywhere. Why not hold off and apply when you're truly competitive, instead of buying an expensive lottery ticket?

I have been told that the DO cycle runs longer. You could wait until your new MCAT score becomes available and apply as a competitive candidate to DO programs in September/October.

During the gap year, I was debating if I still wanted to pursue med school or not, which is why I ended up shadowing the PA so I can get a feel for other fields in healthcare. It was until May of this year that I decided I would give the MCAT one last shot since I've been pursuing this dream for a decade now and didn't' want to let all that hard work and sacrifice go to waste.

As to your comment about my age, hahaha. I wish I was in my mid 20's, I'm actually 31. So by applying this year, I won't be starting med school till 32 and won't be finished with residency until 40! I already had an existential like crisis thinking about how old I'd be at 40 finishing residency, so the last thing I want to do is push it back another year lol. My goal/plan was to be done with residency by 37 at the absolute latest considering I'm non-traditional, so I'm sure you can appreciate why timing is of the essence for me. I think that applying to DO towards the end like you mentioned as a competitive applicant is wise as I've also heard their cycle runs later. Do you happen to know how much later it runs? For instance, I know for AMCAS to be considered on time, your 2ndaries need to be turned in by labor day, but what about 2ndaries for AACOMAS?

Based on what you said then, you're suggesting I don't apply to any programs for MD or DO for the time being except for obviously a throwaway school to have my primary verified (which I already did)? You're saying it's better to wait until I get my score back, THEN devise a school list, and THEN apply? I'm worried about doing that because I put myself way behind on pre-writing secondaries. My logic is that if I apply to DO/MD programs with the absolute lowest threshold for the MCAT I can at least write secondaries for those schools so that even if I score a 502-503, I'm done with those secondaries. I'm confident that with the rest of my application minus my MCAT score I will most likely get accepted into a DO program, which is why I want to start pre-writing secondaries.

Thank you.

Have you taken any practice MCATs recently to determine where you stand?

Have you taken any practice MCATs recently to determine where you stand?

Yes, I took the AAMC sample test as a baseline and got a 498. Then I took Next step full length 1 and got a 498 also, but on that one, I once again found myself running out of time on every section except P/S so I had to blind guess on about 30 questions.

During the gap year, I was debating if I still wanted to pursue med school or not, which is why I ended up shadowing the PA so I can get a feel for other fields in healthcare. It was until May of this year that I decided I would give the MCAT one last shot since I've been pursuing this dream for a decade now and didn't' want to let all that hard work and sacrifice go to waste.

As to your comment about my age, hahaha. I wish I was in my mid 20's, I'm actually 31. So by applying this year, I won't be starting med school till 32 and won't be finished with residency until 40! I already had an existential like crisis thinking about how old I'd be at 40 finishing residency, so the last thing I want to do is push it back another year lol. My goal/plan was to be done with residency by 37 at the absolute latest considering I'm non-traditional, so I'm sure you can appreciate why timing is of the essence for me. I think that applying to DO towards the end like you mentioned as a competitive applicant is wise as I've also heard their cycle runs later. Do you happen to know how much later it runs? For instance, I know for AMCAS to be considered on time, your 2ndaries need to be turned in by labor day, but what about 2ndaries for AACOMAS?

Based on what you said then, you're suggesting I don't apply to any programs for MD or DO for the time being except for obviously a throwaway school to have my primary verified (which I already did)? You're saying it's better to wait until I get my score back, THEN devise a school list, and THEN apply? I'm worried about doing that because I put myself way behind on pre-writing secondaries. My logic is that if I apply to DO/MD programs with the absolute lowest threshold for the MCAT I can at least write secondaries for those schools so that even if I score a 502-503, I'm done with those secondaries. I'm confident that with the rest of my application minus my MCAT score I will most likely get accepted into a DO program, which is why I want to start pre-writing secondaries.

Thank you.

I don't know how much later the DO cycle runs and I'm definitely not an expert on this process. I couldn't say if it is smarter to apply before or after your new MCAT - but you don't want any schools to see your app and assume the MCAT you've got is the only one you're applying with. You might be better served by making a new (and abridged) post in the "Pre Med - DO" general forum explaining the situation with your MCAT and asking for guidance there.

You won't be behind with secondaries. You don't need to apply to know what the secondary essays will be. Make a list of schools you can reasonably expect to be competitive for. Go to the appropriate thread (i.e., "2019-2019 xxx university SOM") and someone will probably have posted the secondary application essay questions. You can prewrite them without applying!

Yes, I took the AAMC sample test as a baseline and got a 498. Then I took Next step full length 1 and got a 498 also, but on that one, I once again found myself running out of time on every section except P/S so I had to blind guess on about 30 questions.

Why are you losing all of that time? What was your NS 1 breakdown? What do you spend the most time doing? Time management is critical and cost me several points on my real exam.

Why are you losing all of that time? What was your NS 1 breakdown? What do you spend the most time doing? Time management is critical and cost me several points on my real exam.

I get fixated on trying to answer the question correctly or understanding everything in the passage. I honestly believe I ran out of time on this exam because my sleep was off the night before. In comparison, I finished the AAMC sample test on time with a few minutes to spare/section. To be fair, that was the first time I ever actually finished a full-length exam on time. It's a work in progress as I constantly interrupt my thinking pattern and tell myself to move on if I can't answer the question quickly enough. My breakdown for NS1 was: 498: C/P-125, CARS-122, B/B-125, P/S-126. Although compared to the AAMC Sample test the next step exam results seems quite inflated.

I would try to figure out why you are running out of time (probably taking too much time on questions), and try to improve that. After improving that then you should see how your scores change. That should help. As far as applying - if it was me, I would wait until I got my actual scores back to apply. I would also only apply DO. If you are not sure you can get your target score by August 30, you should consider waiting longer to take the MCAT. I know you do not want to wait longer to apply because of your age, but you are not old. If your goal is to become a physician, which it obviously is, you will have to make many sacrifices throughout your career. It would be worth sacrificing one year to ensure you get a better MCAT score. Once you get that MCAT you are looking for and you get accepted, you will be happy you waited. You cannot afford another disappointing MCAT score, and if you rush, there is a better chance of that than if you take your time. Another disappointing score and your chances of becoming a physician may go down the drain and you will be kicking yourself in the butt for rushing into this. I hope I don't sound like an a-hole. I just want to help, and I will be rooting for you to achieve your dream!

I would try to figure out why you are running out of time (probably taking too much time on questions), and try to improve that. After improving that then you should see how your scores change. That should help. As far as applying - if it was me, I would wait until I got my actual scores back to apply. I would also only apply DO. If you are not sure you can get your target score by August 30, you should consider waiting longer to take the MCAT. I know you do not want to wait longer to apply because of your age, but you are not old. If your goal is to become a physician, which it obviously is, you will have to make many sacrifices throughout your career. It would be worth sacrificing one year to ensure you get a better MCAT score. Once you get that MCAT you are looking for and you get accepted, you will be happy you waited. You cannot afford another disappointing MCAT score, and if you rush, there is a better chance of that than if you take your time. Another disappointing score and your chances of becoming a physician may go down the drain and you will be kicking yourself in the butt for rushing into this. I hope I don't sound like an a-hole. I just want to help, and I will be rooting for you to achieve your dream!

Great username bro

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you.
I can't recommend applying MD until next cycle. By the time you get your MCAT score, for them it will be too late.

The DO cycle is longer and so you're fine if your score is > 505.

Now for the serious part. The MCAT is a high stake, career deciding exam that is just as much an assessment of judgment as it is of knowledge.
Therefore, do NOT take this exam until you are 100% ready for it, even if it means skipping an app cycle.

At this point in time, it's not worth making a school list.

Reactions: 4 users

What a lovely and compassionate response. Much nicer than anything I could write. I had a student from a very old and respected pre med mill, 3.7 cgpa as a science major and a higher MCAT. Did a linked Post Bac and was unable to meet the criteria for admission. Med school, like football, is not for everyone. Dont take the MCAT until your practice scores are above 505, which is not stellar. If your application came across my desk right now, it would be a No for me. Keep working hard and get that MCAT UP! Good luck and best wishes.

Applying is a waste of time until you solve your MCAT issues and get a good score. There's really very little point of thinking of particular schools or paying for applications in your current state.

488 to a 502 - What makes you think you can make that jump?

MD is out of the question unless you can get a 510.
DO possible with a 504+.

Your list is useless, until you have an score above the 50th percentile.

Last edited:
488 to a 502 - What makes you think you can make that jump?

MD is out of the question unless you can get a 510.
DO possible with a 504+.

You're list is useless, until you have an score above the 50th percentile.
What makes me think I can make that jump is because I literally had to blind guess on about 60 questions without seeing them. When doing my exams in the past under untimed conditions when I did it that way and finished those questions, I would normally get around a 494. Having said that, by strengthening my reasoning skills by a lot as well as increasing my content knowledge and strengthening my time management skills, I can definitely get over that 500 hump.

What makes me think I can make that jump is because I literally had to blind guess on about 60 questions without seeing them. When doing my exams in the past under untimed conditions when I did it that way and finished those questions, I would normally get around a 494. Having said that, by strengthening my reasoning skills by a lot as well as increasing my content knowledge and strengthening my time management skills, I can definitely get over that 500 hump.
All I am saying is, don't re-take until you've gotten practice scores that can back up what you're saying.

Nonetheless a 488 is a red flag. I think MD is out, unless you get an 80th percentile score, and I don't think that's going to happen for you.
DO schools will give you a shot if you can make it to 500+.

Good luck.

I went from 499–>514 (with a few stops along the way). I wish from the beginning I had done two things: 1. Focus on practice questions/tests. If you aren’t doing a full test under rigorous conditions, do a single section just as rigorously (eg, BB or CARS timed with no distractions). 2. Keep an error log. When reviewing your practice questions, write down what you got wrong and why. If it’s a content gap, write down that content. If it’s misreading or misinterpreting, note that and be aware of it on future questions.

Best of luck and feel free to reach out if you want to chat MCAT strat.

I applied DO in February this past cycle and got into all three DO schools I applied to. So it’s definitely a longer cycle.

I applied DO in February this past cycle and got into all three DO schools I applied to. So it’s definitely a longer cycle.
Thissssssss. Makes me feel not so bad for not applying until mid-September! (Taking August MCAT). Hopefully my outcome is as good as yours! Congrats!!!

Thissssssss. Makes me feel not so bad for not applying until mid-September! (Taking August MCAT). Hopefully my outcome is as good as yours! Congrats!!!
Thanks! Just want you to know it’s not impossible. Many schools are still in full roll until Feb/Mar. time. Good luck!

I went from 499–>514 (with a few stops along the way). I wish from the beginning I had done two things: 1. Focus on practice questions/tests. If you aren’t doing a full test under rigorous conditions, do a single section just as rigorously (eg, BB or CARS timed with no distractions). 2. Keep an error log. When reviewing your practice questions, write down what you got wrong and why. If it’s a content gap, write down that content. If it’s misreading or misinterpreting, note that and be aware of it on future questions.

Best of luck and feel free to reach out if you want to chat MCAT strat.

Thanks for responding. Yeah, I'm doing the two things that you mentioned with very detailed error books. The thing is because I spend a lot of time reviewing my thought process (which is the best way to learn how to approach future questions) it takes a VERY long time to analyze an entire full-length exam. It takes me roughly 5-6 days to analyze and create flashcards/notes for an entire full length. I am focusing on questions from UWorld as well, but spending time analyzing the FL exams and then studying the content from those full-lengths afterward eats the majority of my time, and before I know, it's time to take another full length!

To your first point, I'm not applying to schools that average out the MCAT scores, so they would asses each score individually which makes that point void. I would get my score back on October 1st exactly. What do you mean by maybe into AMCAS by mid oct? They get the score instantaneously uploaded into AMCAS/AACOMAS as soon as it's available. I'm not URM. What do you mean by "HBCU"? I'm a CA resident.
Bro nobody is going to look past the delete button if you made a 488 thats like nothing percentile. Take a knitter year off and retake unless you like wasting money. If you don’t get past 500 on future attempts to go PA school since your chance of passing med school would be slim.

Painful words but it’s the truth. Retake ASAP not sure why you waiting a year to retake and fix the biggest weakness on your app) doesn’t matter if you cure cancer a sub 500 mcat is lethal at most places unless ur URM.

Did you seriously get a 488 a year ago and then spend a year not retaking ????

Last edited:
Yeah. There is no school list for you right now. There can be if you retake the MCAT and do well. Thinking about a school list before that is a waste of time.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah. There is no school list for you right now. There can be if you retake the MCAT and do well. Thinking about a school list before that is a waste of time.

Yeah. I'm focusing all my efforts on crushing this MCAT. Shooting for a 508 at the time being. We'll see what happens, thanks.

I recommend month out from exam - 2 tests a week with full review.
AAMC material and Exam Kracker tests were good from what I can remember.
Since you are going for a 508, score around that are higher esp if it's official material practice.

I recommend month out from exam - 2 tests a week with full review.
AAMC material and Exam Kracker tests were good from what I can remember.
Since you are going for a 508, score around that are higher esp if it's official material practice.

I do a full in-depth review which takes me 5 days about 7 hours a day. I don't know how it's possible to review a full length with making journal notes for each problem and making new flashcards in 2 days for each exam is even plausible.

I would not retake until you are consistently scoring 500+. A 488 shows either severe testing anxiety or a lack of content knowledge.

I would not retake until you are consistently scoring 500+. A 488 shows either severe testing anxiety or a lack of content knowledge.
I think it’s probably the latter for OP. Drilling exam krackers and taking practice tests is key. I also don’t believe anyone with a baseline 488 can get to MD numbers. OP should shoot for around 500 range and pray for DO interview invites.

I think it’s probably the latter for OP. Drilling exam krackers and taking practice tests is key. I also don’t believe anyone with a baseline 488 can get to MD numbers. OP should shoot for around 500 range and pray for DO interview invites.
Oh no, MD is out. Unless a miracle happens, but DO is possible.

Your MCAT score reflects a massive deficiency in content knowledge. This would explain why it takes you five days to review each of your practice tests, and it would also explain why you're blind guessing on so many questions. If you get a 494 on an untimed MCAT practice exam, then that just means that you don't know the material.

Here's what you should be doing right now: Actively read each of the Kaplan subject books from cover to cover, supplementing with Khan Academy videos for topics you need extra help with. Also, read through the 100-page Khan Academy P/S notes, available here. (This phase should take four to five weeks if you are studying full time; create a study schedule for yourself on Excel and stick to it.)

After doing the above baseline content review, do all of the problems in the UWorld question bank with explanations. After completing the UW question bank, do the AAMC section bank. Then take several NS practice exams. After reviewing your NS practice exam performance and reviewing material that you appear to be weak on, take the four AAMC practice exams.

If you remain disciplined and focused, then you can do the above. And if you do the above, I am positive that you will achieve an MCAT score at the 50th percentile or higher, which would make you a competitive applicant at many DO programs. At the end of the day, it's all up to you. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users