Need Help finding this African Song

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BushBaby

Nipplelina
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to find the name of the artist that sang this song. I don't even know the name of the song but it goes something like this "I work hard to make my people/country proud.....it's african spirit....everybody...."

I completely f'ed up the lyrics because I don't know the words but if you know it, please help.

they play it at a lot of african (or shall I say Nigeria) functions and everybody goes crazy sha...so help me please ASAP.

Much thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Without hearing the tune, I can't tell. Is it a
new release, or an old one? What country is the singer from?

D,

Yeah it's kinda hard without any tune. But I posted on the nigerian reunion website and I got more info.

The song is called Umqombothi and it's by Yvonne Chaka Chaka...so I am on to downloading it hopefully from kazaa.

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
haven't heard that song in a long time, almost 10 years. as soon as i read your post bushbaby i knew what it was, brings back a lotta memories.

PROCEED ONLY IF YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH NIGERIAN URBAN CULTURE :)

you should hear the naija version

old man samanja /our people are waiting, come and join us now
old man samanja/our people are waiting, come and join us now

heard when she visited lag, a couple of years back to promote her new album all the peeps were screaming for this song but then she sang some of the new stuff instead, let's just say our peeps showed her how to play dodge ball with bottles. :laugh: ok she didn't look like she was having a good time in the pics

WaZoBia said:
heard when she visited lag, a couple of years back to promote her new album all the peeps were screaming for this song but then she sang some of the new stuff instead, let's just say our peeps showed her how to play dodge ball with bottles. :laugh: ok she didn't look like she was having a good time in the pics

that's funny :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :laugh:

You know what, that's EXACTY the song I had in mind, but wasn't sure- - Umqombothi- African beer.
"Everybody, come and drink my African beer..."

Used to LOVE Yvonne back in the day, especially the song " Stimela"...ok, now I have to go search for this one on Kazaa.

Yvonne Chaka Chaka was da BOMB!!!

Thank u Mr DJ for playing ma song!!! :D

@Wazobia, our people are mean, in past 2yrs seeveral hiphop/R&B artists have performed, u heard what they did to Usher? :p
Everyone keeps going tho: Eve, Usher,Ashanti, DMX,Usher, naughty by Nature, Sean Paul... Naija is the spot! :thumbup:

Did u find it? I can post on the naijaryders site, folks there prolly have it online.