Need Help, Desperate Position......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrSexyLatinDr21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, how is it going? I am posting something for a friend. If you guys want to email him your response his email is: [email protected] or just post it here... Thanks...

I NEED SOME MAJOR HELP HERE. I AM A SOPHMORE IN COLLEGE AND RECENTLY DECIDED I WANT TO GO INTO MED SCHOOL. I STILL NEED TO TAKE MY PRE-REQS. HERE IS THE PROBLEM. MY FAMILY IS GOING TROUGH SOME MAJOR FINANCIAL PROBLEMS AND AS IT SEEMS THEY ARE GOING TO BE FINANCUALLY TIGHT FOR A FEW YEARS ( 3-5) YEARS. I AM THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN HELP THEM KIND OF JUMP OUT OF THIS PIT OF PROBLEMS. IF I GO THE MED SCHOOL ROUTE IT WILL TAKE ME AROUND 7 YEARS OR MORE FOR ME TO BE ABLE TO HELP THEM, SO A SHORTER ROAD IS TO BECOME AN RN. LUCKILY I ONLY NEED A PRE-REQ FOR THE NURSING PROGRAM, WHICH WOULD TAKE ME 2 AND A HALF YEARS TO COMPLETE MY NURSING DEGREE AND THEN BE ABLE TO HELP MY FOLKS OUT. I AM IN CALI AND RN'S ARE MAKING PRETTY GOOD MONEY, BUT RN IS NOT WHAT I WANT TO DO FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. SHOULD I GO FOR THE RN? WORK FOR 2-3 YEARS AND TAKE MY PRE-REQS WHILE AT THE SAME TIME HELP MY PARENTS? YOU GUYS THINK THIS SOUNDS OK? I JUST NEED TO HEAR AN ADVISE FROM OTHER PEOPLE., PLEASE HELP ME HERE..

SINCERELY

OSCAR

Members don't see this ad.

Well Oscar.......My post will be very disorganized and will jump around because my thought process will be working in that manner as i type stuff out.

I was and still am in a similar situation. I have been working full time as a private tutor during my 4 years at Cal. I supported both my family and myself sufficiently. You are a sophomore still so you have time to help your family climb out of this financial hole. You can find work and try and get as many hours as you can. I am assuming you would qualify for low income financial aid through fafsa so tuition and living costs should cover you, and the pay you earn can go fully towards your family.

Though this may make your grades suffer like mine did, its a sacrifice you have to be willing to make. Its family. But at the same time, the rest of your family has to be figuring something out. I don't know your situation or anything or why you are the only one that can make things happen, but they need to get something going between now and the 2-3 years you have until graduation from school. Then you can take a year off and work during that time too which would give you a total of 4 years working fulltime. Now the work you get during undergrad will not pay as well as an RN income, but it got my family by......(I was earning close to 15K tutoring fulltime and that was able to pay the basic rent and bills for my mom and bro down south.) Now if you need to make a lot more than that, I guess you might not have a choice then to go the RN route.

Now as for prereqs, you should be able to finish them up in 2 years you are actually attending school. So I don't think you need to worry about that. Now what I wanted to know is...you would apply for the RN program AFTER you graduate undergrad? Just trying to get a feel for the timetable. You don't have to be an RN for the rest of your life...Are you pretty positive that 3-5 years will be enough? I mean hopefully they dont fall into a comfort zone with you supporting them not allowing you to chase your dream to attend medical school.

I graduated in May 2002 and I took a year off to help stabilize my family finances. My mom and bro are fully dependent on me and I do everything I can to provide. My mom can't work because of cancer, and my brother is a sophomore in college. Hopefully by the time I enter medical school in fall 2004, we will have worked out something to make sure they can survive with a drop off in my income for the next 4 or so years. (ie..brother starting to share some of the family responsibility and invest some of my savings in the market etc...)

I know I havent answered too much.......I prolly might have just wasted a bunch of your time but I had to reply. I give you props for wanting to help your family in their time of need and I only hope that they return the favor when you have to go and chase what you want to do.

I understand your dilemma at the moment. Ask your parents if they are indeed in deep financial problems and tell them you want to attend medical school. Most parents would slave like a dog if they knew that their children will be doing something good with their life, like being a doctor. Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there an illness involved or is it just simply financial problems? If it is just financial problems, which might mean the loss of a home or declaring bankruptcy, although these are heartwrenching problems, I would just let them happen and not try to save your parents.

Help them as much as you can with basics like food and rent but don't try to solve the deeper financial problem, let the courts take care of that. Bankruptcy was invented to give peope a clean slate and a chance to start over. Just let it happen and stay positive and start fresh.

I wouldn't give up your dream unless there is more than just material possessions involved in the problem. If a parent is ill and needs care that would justify taking some time to defer your dream for a little while.

being an RN may not be the route to go
maybe interviewers really question change of careers within the health care industry
for example, being in dentist school then trying to get into med school
i guess this is not the same as your situation
just whatever u do
dont apply to med school while u r in some other professional education program

also
have u considered taking time off before going to med school
since u are a sophmore now
it will be about 3 years since u can go to med school

add another 2 years of work experience to that
and then u can apply to med school then
by this time hopefully
your family will be doing better financially

this extra work experience may also help u with the admissions process
i think more and more people are taking time off between college and med schools
u will definitely be more mature then (which i think is something med schools look for) and u will have life experiences to talk about at interviews
think about doing something related to health care during this time
if u r looking for something that pays more money
maybe u can get a job in helathcare consulting or work at pharmaceutical company

i dont know what your situation is exactly,
but also remember that to go to nursing school requires a couple of years of extra education after college as well
during which time
u will not be making too much money, having to take classes and all
unless u r in nursing school right now??

anyway
i feel for you
as it is often very difficult to make decisions when the well being of your family is concerned

whatever you decide
good luck

I, too, was a sophomore in college when I firmly decided that I wanted to become a physician. From there, what I learned about gaining medical experience came a little too late. If I had a chance to do it over again, I would have reduced my numbers of extracurriculars (I listed 14 on AMCAS). Then, I would have taken a certified nursing/medical assistant from either the Red Cross, community college, or an assisted living program. Then, I would have been able to gain great medical experience while making decent money.

If you're concerned about financing your medical education, consider applying for a National Health Service Corps scholarship (if you want to pursue primary care), or an Armed Forces Scholarship. They pay for your tuition and fees AND give you a stipend. Definitely consider applying to USUHS (the military medical school). Also, research some hospitals that might be willing to pay your tuition and fees in exchange for a service obligation.

In addition, you might want to live with your family after you graduate in exchange for rent (especially if you want to attend medical school a year or two after graduation). This should alleviate some of the financial pressures on you and your family.

Remember, whatever path you choose will likely be the one you'll pursue for the rest of your life. If you're not into nursing, then you might regret your decision to pursue it. You should consider becoming a CNA/CMA while in college and contribute some of your earnings as you pursue your bachelor's and beyond.

I hope this helps. Good luck with resolving your situation.

switch to an engineering major. this will allow you to work after college but will also be respected by medical schools. don't go with the RN if you have even the slightest interest in pursuing medicine.

not to be insensitive, but isn't this at least the third time you've posted something like this?! maybe the circumstances are different this time?
although i understand the desire to help your parents and would be tempted to do so myself, going the RN route is a huge sacrifice if it is not truly what you want to do. is there not some other way you could help them out while still keeping on track with your career goals? if working as an RN could happen immediately, it might be a good solution. however, you're still looking at a couple of years of financial problems. wouldn't it be best to work 30-40hrs/week in the highest paying job possible right now while taking your med school prereqs?

Ask your parents what they think you should do.