need for research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evans267

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm in the midst of applying to the ophtho residency match and i have a question. i haven't hit the interview trail yet, although am about to embark. i can't complain, i have 11 offers for interviews (including iowa and wash u), which i am thrilled about. i did well in med school (AOA member, board scores in the 99 %ile - although not a 255!) but i don't have research experience. a caviat - i am a practicing optometrist so that makes up for some of my deficiency. how do i handle the question of lack of research? to explain a little why, i practiced optometry every weekend and i was heavily involved in extra curricular activities. i know there are many good applicants out there and i wonder how this will affect me.

thanks for a reply:)

Members don't see this ad.

congratulations...i don't think that a lack of research will hurt you that badly if you've gotten several interviews already. don't get me wrong, i think research is certainly a plus, but it sounds like you have a lot of other things going for you. out of curiosity, when/how did you hear from wash u? email? i'm still waiting to hear from them (usually a bad sign, right?) but perhaps i'll see you in iowa...best of luck :)

Originally posted by evans267
i'm in the midst of applying to the ophtho residency match and i have a question. i haven't hit the interview trail yet, although am about to embark. i can't complain, i have 11 offers for interviews (including iowa and wash u), which i am thrilled about. i did well in med school (AOA member, board scores in the 99 %ile - although not a 255!) but i don't have research experience. a caviat - i am a practicing optometrist so that makes up for some of my deficiency. how do i handle the question of lack of research? to explain a little why, i practiced optometry every weekend and i was heavily involved in extra curricular activities. i know there are many good applicants out there and i wonder how this will affect me.

thanks for a reply:)

Research is nice, but is not a must. With 11 interviews, it sounds like you are a strong applicant.

fugax...

i just heard from wash u last week. i was very suprised, because i thought they wouldn't let us know until after the dean's letter came out. i will probably see you in iowa, since i am also interviewing on the 15th.

good luck!