Need feedback on what I was told about pre-reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Determined

Now married to medicine
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to talk to OSUCOM last Friday about the last pre-req (Org2) that I will be taking this next semester in preparation for if I get accepted to start in 2004. During my discussion with the Associate Director of admissions, I asked her about the additonal pre-req biology course (out of Physiology, Cell Biology, BioChem, Microbiology, Histology, Embryology, etc) and she commented that the requirement is for only ONE if those classes, but in order to be competitive and have realistic chance, I will need to take at least 3-5 of those classes on top of the pre-reqs. The problem for me is, I work full time as an IT Manager and I do not have the option of taking day classes at this point, and there is only one of those 3000 level classes that I can take at night (Cell Biology) in my area. My question is: does anyone know if you can still have a reasonable chance of acceptance without having the 3-5 additonal 3000 level science classes (in addition to the pre-reqs)?

For those of you who want to provide constructive criticism, here are my stats: I am 28, my Overall GPA is a 3.6, my Science GPA is a 3.9, I am a minority (part Cherokee Indian) and an instate applicant. I took one of last year's MCAT on e-mcat.com and scored a 28, and I am aiming on bringing that up to a 30 in August. I have been able to get an A in all of the pre-reqs (thank God). I have been doing volunteer work in a hospital for the last year and I have shadowed 3 DO's regularly that all graduated from OSUCOM. I thought I was a good candidate until I talked to OSUCOM, and I want to validate my position by those in this board. If I have to quit my job to find a way to take the classes, I will have to wait and apply for 2005 or 2006 since I can't quit for another 11 months, but if that's what it takes I am willing to do it.

Thanks for any feedback,

Determined.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, they like to see multiple upper-level science classes, but the good thing is that there is more than one way to be a competitive applicant.

Given your stated science GPA, you should be in good shape if you do well on the MCAT (at least a 27, preferably higher..BTW: there is a scholarship for high MCAT & high GPA combination. PM me if you want to know more). Having these two aspects covered will help you get a long way. You may need to address the reason why your total GPA is so much lower than your science, however. Depending on your situation it may or may not hamper you.

You are helped by your URM status, so take advantage of that. And, of course, your shadowing and volunteering also look good (there is a spot where you can put the shadowing info on OSU's secondary application...if they haven't changed it).

Go ahead and take the cell bio class and don't fret about it. If you can work it out, I recommend that you take the biochem class at NSU-Broken Arrow (taught by Sue Woods) in the spring as well. If there is any way at all to work it out, a histology class would be good, too. Unfortunately I only know of daytime ones at TU and ORU.

All in all, you're probably in pretty good shape. Have you completed AACOMAS and gotten the secondary app from OSU yet?

i really don't think they would turn away a good applicant because of that weakness in your application. you are a minority, have a very strong science gpa, very busy with job and DO shadowing, and it looks like you will do fine on your MCATs. your job presents you with the perfect opportunity to explain your circumstances in an interview and i would think they would understand your unique situation. my only concern is that you've completed your coursework recently and haven't been out of school for over two years because you might have a problem explaining that. otherwise, apply now and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback, that is certainly encouraging. I have completed my AACOMAS, but I am having to wait to send all of my transcripts in due to an 'I' that shoudl have been an 'A' that a professor did not know was an 'I' from one of the colleges I went to. Hopefully I will have that worked out this week and then I will get my secondary back. I am going to NSU-BA for my cell biology, so I will look for the BioChem class you recommended. So far, BioChem (and OChem) topics have been my favorite so I am looking forward to that class.

MEDicated, I am not sure I understand what you meant by "my only concern is that you've completed your coursework recently and haven't been out of school for over two years because you might have a problem explaining that", but if it helps, I got my prior degree several years ago and I just recently went back to get my pre-reqs completed after being in IT for almost 10 years. From your comment, it sounded like you got the impression that I had just recently graduated. Does that make sense?

You are all great, thanks for helping out.

Determined

Determined,

i read over what i wrote and i realized that i wasn't making sense there....sorry:) anyhow, i was attempting to stress that some of your coursework needs to be recent, and it appears that you have done that, so you shouldn't be concerned with that. so if i were to interview you as an admissions counselor, some questions i'd have would be: (1) why the late start in applying to medical school (28 years old)?? (2) why is your non-science and science gpa so different?? (3) what experience made you pursue medicine?? (4) what is the most meaningful thing you have taken away from working in IT, and (5) you seem highly qualified, but it says here you only took one upper level science course...you simply aren't competitive enough:) just kidding determined