Need an inservice topic to present to OT and PT staff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DTP2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to do an in service for my first clinical. I am presenting to a staff of OT's, OTA's, PT's and PTA's. Anyone have any ideas??? Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

PT interns that do in service at our outpatient sports rehab clinic are given a patient whom they have evaluated and treated. I am not sure if your CI will allow for you to conduct an eval yet. Most often the topic is chosen by what we do not commonly treat at the clinic. Common is shoulder, knee, LBP. Less common GSW, brachial plexus injury, bilateral partial knee replacement, and my favorite patients that benefit from feldenkrais method. Most of the time we challenge the student to share about somthing that we can all benefit to know or be reminded!
Remeber the 3 basic L's......Look, Listen, Learn
Best of wishes I know you will do fine! Some of the people at your site probably have done an in service and also may be of assisatnce.

Maybe present on a diagnosis or treatment that is common in the clinic/hospital you're in, and write a review about anatomy, parameters, etc and about any new research/updates. You can also do more of a 'project' and make a binder full of patient education materials or a list of resources for clinicians.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will depend on your setting and your CI. My CI last summer said that he didn't like getting the same old presentations on the same old diagnoses. I ended up doing mine on the psychology of motivation.

The link between incontinence and low back pain.

Try learning about, then teaching about chronic pain concepts. Google Lorimer Moseley and David Butler. Look up the Neuromatrix by Melzack. it is eye opening and chances are, the staff you will be talking to will not know much about the current state of knowledge on pain science.

Try learning about, then teaching about chronic pain concepts. Google Lorimer Moseley and David Butler. Look up the Neuromatrix by Melzack. it is eye opening and chances are, the staff you will be talking to will not know much about the current state of knowledge on pain science.

I think pain science overview would be beneficial for all in attendance. In addition to Butler and Moseley's material, Steven George has some research articles on how to implement some of these concepts into clinical practice.

I think another valuable and easy inservice would be education on how to perform thoracic manipulation and when it is appropriate. When I was going through my clinical rotations I was appalled at the low numbers of PTs using thrust manipulation despite the strong supportive research.

I did mine on Multifidus Re-Education following lumbar injury. However, an In-service on a Running evaluation would be helpful as well. Try to find 3-4 articles, types of shoes, barefoot running, static vs dynamic stretching so on. You can find a lot on it. Good luck

I think pain science overview would be beneficial for all in attendance. In addition to Butler and Moseley's material, Steven George has some research articles on how to implement some of these concepts into clinical practice.

I think another valuable and easy inservice would be education on how to perform thoracic manipulation and when it is appropriate. When I was going through my clinical rotations I was appalled at the low numbers of PTs using thrust manipulation despite the strong supportive research.

I agree with truthseeker and FNG. There are good resources out there to describe the science/psychology of pain that are underutilized in PT practice. These topics would probably be helpful in an inservice. I like the book Explain Pain by Butler/Moseley as described above ($30 online for the pdf book), and the book Anxiety, Depression, and Anger in Pain (written by a pain psychologist).

I agree, an excellent topic would be pain science with sources from George, Butler, etc.

When I was a student, I did an in-service on all of the clinical prediction rules out there, each's psychometric properties, and clinical application. I know there is some new info out there on validation.

Good luck!

I agree, an excellent topic would be pain science with sources from George, Butler, etc.

When I was a student, I did an in-service on all of the clinical prediction rules out there, each's psychometric properties, and clinical application. I know there is some new info out there on validation.

Good luck!

Nijs is another author that has authored research on the how to incorporate manual therapy into central pain.

Also, if you wanted to do CPR/TBC presentation, I attached a quick reference resource that is pretty well known to most but some may not be familiar with some of them.

Attachments

• CPR and TBC Summary 2010.doc
    599.5 KB · Views: 313