Need Advise (low cGPA, high sGPA, high MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahmadmz

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. First time poster and looking for some realistic advise.
I'm a non-trad Canadian applicant. Did a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting in 2012 and hated it. Low GPA (around 3.0). After much shadowing and lots of research of career in medicine, I have decided to pursue medicine.
Now that I have done post-bacc of science courses, my post-bacc GPA is 3.9 and my sGPA is 3.6.
I am waiting on MCAT score but on practice AAMC FLs I was getting around 512-515.

So considering these stats, do I have chance of getting in a DO school considering I'm a Canadian applicant? My ECs are quite excellent with lots and lots of volunteering and work hours, one big research project, travelled to 27 countries, etc.

cGPA: 3.22
sGPA: 3.6
Postbac GPA: 3.9
MCAT: Most likely 510+

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldnt say high mcat just yet, you may be one of thoes people who go down 5 or so from their average. Why dont you look into where canadians have applied in the past. MSAR should be your primary source for that.

Sorry, MSAR doesnt cover DO schools but ot is worth the look

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Anyone know what my chances are considering my low cGPA about high sGPA? Which is more important? How high of an MCAT will help with the scenario? Thanks!

Hey guys. First time poster and looking for some realistic advise.
I'm a non-trad Canadian applicant. Did a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting in 2012 and hated it. Low GPA (around 3.0). After much shadowing and lots of research of career in medicine, I have decided to pursue medicine.
Now that I have done post-bacc of science courses, my post-bacc GPA is 3.9 and my sGPA is 3.6.
I am waiting on MCAT score but on practice AAMC FLs I was getting around 512-515.

So considering these stats, do I have chance of getting in a DO school considering I'm a Canadian applicant? My ECs are quite excellent with lots and lots of volunteering and work hours, one big research project, travelled to 27 countries, etc.

Postbac GPA: 3.9
MCAT: Most likely 510+

Thanks in advance!

@Goro
Any of your advise would be much appreciated!

Hey guys, just got my MCAT score. Can someone give me feedback to if I should rewrite the MCAT on Aug 24th to boost my CARS/BioBiochem or not? - only asking because of my low GPA.
MCAT: 513 (89 percentile) - (C/P 130 - 97 percentile, CARS 126 - 72 percentile, B/B 126 - 65 percentile, P/S 131 - 99 percentile).

Hey guys, just got my MCAT score. Can someone give me feedback to if I should rewrite the MCAT on Aug 24th to boost my CARS/BioBiochem or not? - only asking because of my low GPA.
MCAT: 513 (89 percentile) - (C/P 130 - 97 percentile, CARS 126 - 72 percentile, B/B 126 - 65 percentile, P/S 131 - 99 percentile).
I definitely don't think you need to retake that score. It's a perfectly fine composite score and no section is under 125. You're fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I definitely don't think you need to retake that score. It's a perfectly fine composite score and no section is under 125. You're fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks! I just thought I may need a higher score with my 3.22 cGPA to get in a nice DO school.