need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theAvatar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone. i was just wondering if anyone can help me with a concern.

so i just started working in this new lab. i'm new to everything and doesn't know anyone there.

right now, I feel very lost and confused. mainly because people there seem a little unfriendly. also every time i have a question, i really don't have anyone to go to (everyone's too busy).

i was just wondering if anyone have advice on what a person should do when he/she start working at a new lab and has no clue what is going.

i dont get to speak to or see my supervisor at all so what can i do to stay on good terms with him/her. would it be annoying to write him/her frequently and just voluntarily send an update on what's going on with my work? i'm afraid i might become annoying since there are so many other people in the lab. and this person is very busy all the time. is there anything else i can do?

thanks for your help. i'm just lost and worried right now. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Well, do you know what you are supposed to be doing in the lab? What I did was write out my project and experiments as I understood it, then met with my PI to go over the exps and who was best suited to help me execute each one. Then I spoke with the relevant members of the lab and arranged to do the technique with them the next time they did it. Make sure there is a protocol that includes a list of reagents so you can jot down where they are.
This should minimize the amount of "annoying" questions you have to ask.

As for the social aspect, try bringing sweets for everyone - sleazy but it works. Also, for the love of God, DO NOT WHINE ALOT!!! That is the #1 thing to turn people off. Laugh and the world laughs with you - you will soo fit in, hang in there!