Need advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member164

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been reading the posts on this website from my freshman year in college and since I'm going to be a junior in the fall I thought I would create an account to ask for help getting ready for the application process. Every year everybody's stats gets better and better and I'm extremely worried.

College: Hawaii Pacific University
Grades:
Writing 1100 Eng Lang/Comp Ap Credit
Writing 1200 Research, Argument, and Writing: B+
Gen Bio 1: B
Gen Bio 1 Lab: C
Gen Bio 2: B
Gen Bio 2 Lab: B
Precalculus 1: A
Precalculus 2: A
Calculus: A-
Calculus 2: C
Communication 1000: A
Cultural Anthropology: A
Gen Chem 1: A-
Gen Chem 1 Lab: A
Gen Chem 2: B+
Gen Chem 2 Lab: A
Premedical Intership (Rehabilitation Hospital of the Pacific): Passed
Psychology 1000: A
College Physics 1: A
College Physics 1 Lab: A

Overall GPA: 3.52
Science and Math GPA (including social sciences): 3.477

I have no retakes and no withdrawals currently.

Volunteer Experience:
300+ hours Inpatient Acute (Neurological Floor, Young stroke and brain injury) although I have also helped out on the other floors which deal with hip replacements, spinal cord, OT therapy, etc.

Extras:
Eagle Scout (Boy Scouts of America)
Circle K International Club member
Member of the Hawaii Pacific Sea Warrior Band
Currently working as a student assistant for the Office of the President at HPU

I would have loved to apply to University of Washington but I know with my mess up in Biology and Calc 2 that I'm pretty much out of the running. I'm praying that I can do well enough in my remaining prereqs (Anat and Physio, Stats, Physics 2, Abnormal Psych) and my GRE to qualify for any other schools. I am looking at UPS, Azusa, NYIT, Chapman, UCSF and others (too many to list).

Can anybody tell me what I should do to increase my chances? I haven't taken the GRE yet and am currently contacting other hospitals to get other volunteer positions, should I also retake my Gen Bio 1 Lab?

Thank you :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Please just do a quick search on this forum there are 1000 people asking the same thing

Yes, I did check all around. Most other people suggest retaking a course, but they are suggesting it to people who have already graduated and are taking post bacc classes. I'm going to be a junior and have my credits pretty much maxed out, so I don't want to retake unless I really have to. So I'm asking because its a last resort and I don't want to waste time and money (additionally trying to go study abroad next summer) retaking it if others with more experience deem it unnecessary if I pull in enough high grades on the remaining pre reqs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do well on GRE and you will get it

Your start is a good one. My opinion is that you'll get into PT school somewhere if you just maintain your current grades. PT schools look at the entire candidate, not just the numbers. This is why the interview is so important.

AlexFLA: Thank you, I'm planning to take it sometime in september, so that I have time to take it again since it seems from everyone's posts that its pretty hard.

WarriorPT: Ah, I totally forgot about the interview. If I'm not too good at interviews, will this destroy my chances?

If you dont interview well that is certainly a detractor...however not all programs require an interview...for example I got into Lynchburg University for the 2012 class without an interview, but I chose to go somewhere else.

Practice your interview skills and you will do fine. Dont think of it as "im not too good at interviews" think of it as "im not good at interviews YET, but I will be"

@member164: Yes it will. I'd recommend setting up mock interviews with PTs that you are NOT familiar with if you suspect it will be a weakness of yours. You need PTs who do not know you for good, honest feedback. Former PTs you worked for will be bias. I recommend having them speak with their colleagues on your behalf to set up a mock interview.

Something to keep in mind during the interview: PT's are natural educators who like to talk--especially about their work or research. Investigate each of the faculty members as one or more of them will be interviewing you. This is an opportunity to show genuine interest in their specialties. Google Scholar (or PubMed search) their names and locate articles they have authored. Read them. Ask questions about them. This shows that you are engaged in PT research at some level, as well as engaged in the specific faculty member(s). Relate how their interest are aligned with your own. Don't fabricate things though. If you aren't interested in their specific area of interest, then share with them your interests and try to bridge similar concepts.

Last edited:
A survey/search of the sticky at the top of the forum w/ ~1600 responses regarding stats and acceptances, based on the schools you want to apply to, would be a valuable research project for you. I find it helps to make yourself a nice spreadsheet. :)

Thank you everyone for the incredible advice! I will get right on it!