Need advice with PT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silence44

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice on what to do . I graduated with a BS where my major concentration was kinesiology. So I have a background in science. I took most of pre-reqs for PT school but am still missing 4-6 classes. That's not the dilemma im having, my problem is I finished with a 2.66 GPA. I initially wanted to be a strength coach so I interned at several different schools, as well as achieving my CSCCa certification which is the gold standard in strength & conditioning field.

Thats my background , I want to go back to school next semester and finish my all my pre-reqs and hopefully leave with at least a 3.8+ GPA. I am also going to be finishing my EMT certification in January and should have a job with that, which is nice on the resume. Do you think with my background and my attempt at revamping my GPA that I can possibly get into PT school? Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can. The key is doing research on schools to see if you meet minimum requirements and what the average stats for that school is. Some schools may also put heavier weight on your last 60 completed units versus your cum GPA, so even if you don't bump up your cum GPA as high as you want, doing well on all your remaining classes may be enough. Also, if you have a specific school you want to go to, applying for early decision will dramatically increase your chances of getting in if you have at least met all minimum requirements, but it would help if your stats were somewhat above the average for that school.

You need to run the calculations and see how many classes it will take to get your GPA above a 3.0 to start. And higher if possible. It may take quite a few semesters to pull it up. So know that number so you can make a plan. I graduated with about the same GPA and it took about 60 additional credits to get above that 3.0 pre req that many schools requires. So that may be a few years of prep if you are also working. But yes it can be done! I'm in my second year!!

Members don't see this ad :)
retake courses, get A's, shadow more, get a PT tech job if possible, get even more hours, meet amazing therapists, get great recommendation letters, gain knowledge and insight on PT field, use that wisdom to write exceptional essay, done.

You need to run the calculations and see how many classes it will take to get your GPA above a 3.0 to start. And higher if possible. It may take quite a few semesters to pull it up. So know that number so you can make a plan. I graduated with about the same GPA and it took about 60 additional credits to get above that 3.0 pre req that many schools requires. So that may be a few years of prep if you are also working. But yes it can be done! I'm in my second year!!

Are you glad you went through with your decision? Even though you had to take so many extra credits to make up your GPA? Also how many schools did you apply to before you got accepted.

Are you glad you went through with your decision? Even though you had to take so many extra credits to make up your GPA? Also how many schools did you apply to before you got accepted.
I am glad about my decision but with a couple of extra thoughts. First, I kept my education cost (on the extra credits) extremely low. I was working full time/and part time while I was taking classes (online, weekend and night classes). I took my classes at a very affordable community college. So, I was able to pay for all of my classes in cash and I was also able to support my family with my jobs while I did it (and continue to save and put into retirement). Second, I got into a state DPT school with extremely affordable tuition. I have some additional financial help as well but we are able to completely cover school costs. So, aside from lost income, it's not costing me anything to return to school.

Again, have a plan. It's a very very long road to boost your GPA. Probably a 3 year plan until you are ready to even apply. I don't think it would be worth it if you are living on loans, or not making a living for those 3 years. If you can work and cover your classes, then that's a little different.

I applied to 2 cycles on PTCAS. The first cycle, I just applied to 1 school (first choice). The second cycle, I applied to 4 schools but ended up getting in my first choice. PT schools are not particularly kind to poor GPA so you need to go after boosting your GPA with all you have.