MD & DO Need Advice! What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThisisReality

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First off, many thanks for your service to our country. If you do NOT have a rising GPA trend, I can't recommend med school, high MCAT or no, because your GPAs are too much of a risk. You haven't convinced me that you can survive med school.

Suggest a post-bac or SMP.

I just graduated college and was originally applying for this cycle. What is missing though is my MCAT score, which had been postponed the previous year due to military obligations.

cGPA: 3.26
sGPA: 2.94

I know my science is very low... which means I will need a high MCAT score, but again with some military obligations and other obligations during the school year, I did not study as much as I would like. I am scoring around ~490 on Kaplan tests. I have yet to take a AAMC. This is mostly with little studying... I am taking the May 18th date. I can't move it forward b/c I will out of the country this summer.

I have plans to work as a scribe next year. I can possibly work there for 2 years, doing another gap year, if I have to retake my MCAT...

My extracurriculars are very good. Aside from the military, I worked in state government, 80+ volunteer and ~100 shadowing hours,and have acquired great letters of recs.

What is the minimum MCAT score do you think will be worth applying this cycle? Or should I just, once again, postpone the MCAT to next year? Since I already asked my letter writers, will I be able to hold their recs for next year?

I am planning to applying primarily DO schools, with the exception of my in-state MD schools and USUHS.

Thoughts?

First off, many thanks for your service to our country. If you do NOT have a rising GPA trend, I can't recommend med school, high MCAT or no, because your GPAs are too much of a risk. You haven't convinced me that you can survive med school.

Thank you!

There is a dip in the middle of my college career due to personal reasons, but I finished relatively stronger towards the end. Also, I was originally banking on grade replacement with DO, but with the recent changes my 3.0+ sGPA took a huge hit.

Members don't see this ad :)

Are there any SMP programs you would suggest? I was originally planning to do a MPH, because of my interests in community health.

Thank you!

There is a dip in the middle of my college career due to personal reasons, but I finished relatively stronger towards the end. Also, I was originally banking on grade replacement with DO, but with the recent changes my 3.0+ sGPA took a huge hit.
I'd like to see several semesters of 3.7+ GPAs. That will convince me. That, and a good MCAT score.

Are there any SMP programs you would suggest? I was originally planning to do a MPH, because of my interests in community health.
They're a dime-a-dozen. Best ones will be associated with a med school. Avoid the 2 year programs; you don't need them.
Off the top of my head:
Rosy F
Gtown
Drexel
U Miami
KCU
PCOM
All three Touros
BU
LECOM
Mt Sinai

Reactions: 1 user
They're a dime-a-dozen. Best ones will be associated with a med school. Avoid the 2 year programs; you don't need them.
Off the top of my head:
Rosy F
Gtown
Drexel
U Miami
KCU
PCOM
All three Touros
BU
LECOM
Mt Sinai

I just checked and surprised some of them are still accepting applicants! Wow! This is definitely going to change my post-grad plans... Is it still worth applying since it is rolling admissions?

I'd like to see several semesters of 3.7+ GPAs. That will convince me. That, and a good MCAT score.

With my stats, even with a 510+ MCAT score and scribe experience, is it not possible for a DO acceptance?