Need Advice-Retaking MCAT!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedStud1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received my MCAT scores about a month ago and performed horribly (I have been sulking for two weeks but feel fine now). I got a 497 (128 in C/P, 121 in CARS, 124 in both bio and psych). I believe that my prep for the exam was ineffective and I do have potential to do better (this has been a very humbling experience)

I got a 494 on my diagnostic and took the course (I was fasting for a month so my studying was ineffective), I barely studied for 2 weeks after I took the exam (my grandma was moving in), and then studied for 2 weeks crazily (studied from 4 pm to 2-3 am). For the physics/chem section, I read through the kaplan books and most of the biochemistry book which I thought was sufficient. I also took 4 full length kaplan exams and superficially reviewed those. For the bio/biochem section, I did not read the bio book and read most of the biochem book (I thought my background knowledge would carry me through this section). For Psych, I read the psych kaplan book thoroughly and reviewed the full lengths (I had time to review 2 of them). For CARS, I only took the full length exams for practice and decided not to review (very stupid of me to do so).

Overall, here are my two questions (for anybody who has constructive advice and not seeking to demotivate people who are in my position)
What do I have to do to increase my score significantly for each section?
For those that have retaken the exam, how much have your scores increased? Do I have hope?

Members don't see this ad.