Need advice plz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toothy smiley

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am an international dentist from India. Plz help me in clearing my doubts and would be grateful for ur inputs.

I cleared my part 1 nbde exam in 2009 and started applying for schools. Did not get any call. So gave part 2. Unfortunately could not clear the exam. Got side tracked.

Now I want to start again. Can I use my part 1 score is it still valid? Is it possible to give part 1 again or should I start preparing for part 2. I know my chances of getting into dental schools is low. But there might be some way out. This time I dont want to quit, I want to be in dental field apart from dental assistant. I tried dental hygiene schools they want me to do all science and math courses again. Are there any other option in dental field if I am not eligible for applying to dental schools which I am hoping should not be.

Appreciate ur sincere advice

Members don't see this ad.

Your Part 1 score is valid, just prepare for a Part 2.I assume you had to work all this time and was working as a dental assistant? All this experience is useful. Try to do well on your TOEFL, write good PS and get good LORs

Your Part 1 score is valid, just prepare for a Part 2.I assume you had to work all this time and was working as a dental assistant? All this experience is useful. Try to do well on your TOEFL, write good PS and get good LORs

Thank you oralcare123 for ur reply. I was not working as a dental assistant to be honest I got busy with personal matters. Did shadowing for few months. So I am afraid I don't have a strong resume.I heard that few schools won't accept the applications if part 1 score is more than 5 yrs old. So was not sure whether to start part 1 or go ahead with part 2. Can u plz tell me what else I can do to improve my chance of getting into dental schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey first welcome back to the process:) .I believe u shud confirm abt ur part 1 validity, 5 yrs is what I know. Only UMN has a relaxation of score time period I guess its 10 yrs do check recent cycle requirements.
About resume building u shud take toefl nd part 2 . Get back to dental field experience and get strong recommendations from dentist/professionals u recently worked with. Prepare SOP well, research well how to write it , its going to take time to finalize ur sop so strt early.

Thank you for the information drKJ. Is there any possibility of giving part 1 exam again as most of the schools prefer less than 5 yrs. if not I will be left with only one option of UMN

First I myself am not sure of the 5 yr validity, after reading ur post I checked the program requirements of few other schools nd they have not mentioned the minimal yr requirment...only for toefl was mentioned...so I wud say just check individual requirments for each school u want to apply.
Second abt taking exam again , reattempt or num of attempts are limited to 5 times or within 5 yrs time frame. But since u cleared exam in 2009 u must have scoring done while now its pass and fail....I wud recommend contacting jcnde and ask about this matter whether u shud retake or not since im also concerned about time gap acceptable between taking both the parts ...confirm it from them.

Hey I spoke to jcnde and they say that nbde score does not have any particular validity period. I guess I have to check with schools about the validity as most of the schools have not mentioned very clearly about it. And regarding re exam, unfortunately I can not give nbde part 1 again although I have numerical score.

Hey so it means its one thing less to do right?..u r done with part 1 so just strt part 2 prep now nd take toefl. Next cycle opens in march 2017 so u got enough time to take these exams and gain experience, u need to do these things simultaneously, strt off by finding a DA job or volunteer position nd then take exams while continuing ur experience. Also it will be better in your case to consult with someone regarding ur SOP to find how to cover ur gap period so that doesn't cause ny negative effect on ur profile.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank u for ur motivational message and advice drKJ . I wish u the best for ur future.