Need Advice Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AZNFTW

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently attending a university in Texas and I am starting my second year of pre reqs. I am 30 years old. During my younger years I did not take school seriously and really just focused on starting a business. Needless to say I did not do well with a few C's and F's . I did not however submit my transcript from this time period. I currently have a 3.8 gpa and I am worried if I should come clean during my admission period or not. I understand it is unethical but i felt like my past grades would really hurt my chances. So my question is do pharm schools dig deep in student backgrounds? Should I submit my past grades and try to explain my situation. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you're already in a bad situation. You absolutely have to submit ALL your coursework. Trust me, they'll turn up, whether you want them to or not. At this point, yes, you should immediately report your previous grades to the schools you are applying to. Although, you should accept that you've probably already messed things up with them - still, it's better that they hear YOU tell them you tried to deceive them, than to find out independently.

If you have bad grades, try to retake and replace them. Even if you can't do that, be at pains to point out how you've matured since then, and point to a record of much better grades from more recent times (which you apparently have). To give you some perspective, I got accepted with 2 F's on my transcript, only one of which was replaced, and several C's - but my recent coursework made it clear I wasn't messing around anymore. So it's not an automatic death sentence.

Good luck.

Many schools also have a certain point at which they will not consider grades either in calculating GPA, admission or both.

Check with the pharmacy school in question and be honest. They like seeing people who can identify their problems and turn themselves around... in some ways it makes you a stronger candidate than the person who merely got As in every class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the general rule of thumb is that schools don't look at stuff thats 10+ years old. However, with this in mind, make sure that any schools you apply to would accept any of your prior pre-reqs if they that old and weren't retaken.

I think the general rule of thumb is that schools don't look at stuff thats 10+ years old. However, with this in mind, make sure that any schools you apply to would accept any of your prior pre-reqs if they that old and weren't retaken.

While this is may be true ... One school that I was interested in Pacific U (OR) stated explicitly that they would look at all of my classes, including classes from a semester that I "earned" a 0.7 GPA back in 1998 (over THIRTEEN years ago, :rolleyes:).

While this is may be true ... One school that I was interested in Pacific U (OR) stated explicitly that they would look at all of my classes, including classes from a semester that I "earned" a 0.7 GPA back in 1998 (over THIRTEEN years ago, :rolleyes:).

The applications I saw all demanded that I disclose all previous course work. I also have very similar GPA from 1998:oops:. There is something strange about the end of the millennium that's incompatible with learning.

I reported all of my classes and grades and still got into a school in Texas, so my youthful indiscretions did not hurt me.:luck:

Last edited:
The applications I saw all demanded that I disclose all previous course work. I also have very similar GPA from 1998:oops:. There is something strange about the end of the millennium that's incompatible with learning.

I reported all of my classes and grades and still got into a school in Texas, so my youthful indiscretions did not hurt me.:luck:

Same situation here. My interviewer told me that they weight recent grades much more heavily than grades a decade old.

It was the turn of the millennium that really did me in, though.