need advice! mcat score of 8M!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chelschuy236

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just got my mcat score a few days ago and i am freaking out. i was planning on applying to the top 4 caribbean schools before i even got my score but now i am freaking out because that score is horrible, will the caribbean schools even consider me? i dont have that good of a gpa, 2.7 gpa. however, i have a ton of extracurriculars and volunteer at the hospital. any input is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Take it again... that is by far the lowest score I have heard on SDN. The lowest I've heard before was like a 17. I'm sure with some effort you can work it up to around a 20.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i definitely want to take it again but i wanted to start med school next fall which means i would have to turn in my application before i have a chance to retake. should i even apply?

yeah i definitely want to take it again but i wanted to start med school next fall which means i would have to turn in my application before i have a chance to retake. should i even apply?
Don't waste your money. Just wait.

Take a post-bac program and bring up your GPA to at least 3.0.

Sounds like you didn't study. The good news? You can only improve a lot from here on out. Get in a post-bac program and take your classes and MCAT studying more seriously than you have taken your studies in the past.

If he's aiming for caribbean schools, he might not even need a postbacc. He just needs to get a remotely decent MCAT.

i should wait even if i am applying to the caribbean schools?
also, can you fill me in on what the post bac is?

i just got my mcat score a few days ago and i am freaking out. i was planning on applying to the top 4 caribbean schools before i even got my score but now i am freaking out because that score is horrible, will the caribbean schools even consider me? i dont have that good of a gpa, 2.7 gpa. however, i have a ton of extracurriculars and volunteer at the hospital. any input is greatly appreciated.

It's OK, the first six times I took it I didn't score above a 10 (6J,6M,9O,7K,7O,6Q), but then I studied a bit and made a 46T. You can do it OP! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you didn't study. The good news? You can only improve a lot from here on out. Get in a post-bac program and take your classes and MCAT studying more seriously than you have taken your studies in the past.

i studied during the summer but right before my mcat date, i had a lot of family problems which is why i think i did so bad because i was stressing over my family situation.

i should wait even if i am applying to the caribbean schools?
Yes. No offense, but I doubt even Caribbean schools will consider an MCAT score of eight; try to get at least a twenty.

Yes. No offense, but I doubt even Caribbean schools will consider an MCAT score of eight; try to get at least a twenty.

none taken. on my practice mcat i got a 17 so my goal was to rbing it up to a 20 but obviously that didnt happen :(

8M?!? How the he**...? I knew such scores were rumored to exist but seriously? I guess that's theoretically about as common as a 40 but... umm, yeah, definitely wouldn't suggest that you apply this year. The truth is the only reason I could think of that they'd invite you to an interview would be out of curiosity as to how you got that score or if you maybe forgot to enter the right numbers on your application.... and that's just cruel so....
You'll definitely want to both bring up for your GPA a good .5 or so and at least triple your MCAT score. The fact that you're coming from an 8 and a 2.7 would make any adcom wonder why you're considering medicine and how you could be cut out for the field. Medicine requires standardized testing throughout the licensure process and if you can't hack it on those exams, you'll never come anywhere near being a licensed physician. In essence, you would be a liability for any med school that took you and, unfortunately, are almost guaranteed to be a part of the huge attrition rate of a Caribbean school if you were accepted. Just consider that. If you got an 8 (bottom 1% of MCAT test takers and bottom 0.1% of med school students) on the MCAT, do you think you'll pass your licensing exams?

Troll? I didn't think 8M was "possible." (obviously it "can" be done, but I can't imagine it happening)

The fastest way the OP can improve his score is to take the MCAT and pick C for every question.

yeah i have never heard of a score that low before either...until i got my score.

i dont even know what a troll is...lol. anyone care to explain?

oh. well im definitely not a troll. i posted here because i am seriously freaking out.

My advice I doubt with that GPA and MCAT score you can handle med school anywhere unless all of the numbers are grossly not representative.

Dont apply unless the latter is true. You more than likely will be one of those that fail out and have all that debt....

Wow, a freakin 8!! Did you not finish sections or something?

I never heard of a single digit.....

Some Caribbean schools do not require the MCAT. Look at those!!

yeah i did look at those but i dont want to go to those schools because i live in california and eventually plan on practicing here. Those schools in the caribbean that dont require the mcat arent accepted by california so those schools arent an option for me. there are only 4 schools in the caribbean that i could go to and be able to practice in california

yeah i did look at those but i dont want to go to those schools because i live in california and eventually plan on practicing here. Those schools in the caribbean that dont require the mcat arent accepted by california so those schools arent an option for me. there are only 4 schools in the caribbean that i could go to and be able to practice in california

Retake the MCAT then!! You HAVE to go up!!

It's OK, the first six times I took it I didn't score above a 10 (6J,6M,9O,7K,7O,6Q), but then I studied a bit and made a 46T. You can do it OP! :rolleyes:
Lol, how'd you get the 1 bonus point? :laugh:

why don't you just take some time to sort things out? bring up the gpa, bring up the mcat, and apply to a DO school. The caribbean is never a great option. If you can't bring up your stats, it's unlikely you'll perform well against the academic rigors of medical school. Med school is tough for even the best students.

I would honestly be worried about your competency to be a doctor... and you ability to pass the boards. Have you considered another career?

Lol, how'd you get the 1 bonus point? :laugh:

If you get a perfect on writing it opens up a special bonus section where you can get one more point in each section. I got the physics (quantum electrodynamics) and biology (ambiogensis) questions wrong, but I got the chemistry (alpha effect) right, so I got one extra point. There might be even more bonus questions if you get all three of those right too though.

If you get a perfect on writing it opens up a special bonus section where you can get one more point in each section. I got the physics (quantum electrodynamics) and biology (ambiogensis) questions wrong, but I got the chemistry (alpha effect) right, so I got one extra point. There might be even more bonus questions if you get all three of those right too though.

My cousin got a 48U. He said when you get all 3 right, they make you do another essay that opens up the opportunity to get a U, V or W (he said they made you predict who would win each of the Nobel Prizes this year and provide evidence for your selections). Unfortunately, he only got a U (he didn't select the right candidates), but I'd say the 48 is pretty good.

My cousin got a 48U. He said when you get all 3 right, they make you do another essay that opens up the opportunity to get a U, V or W (he said they made you predict who would win each of the Nobel Prizes this year and provide evidence for your selections). Unfortunately, he only got a U (he didn't select the right candidates), but I'd say the 48 is pretty good.

Uhhhh....:confused: Last time I checked, the MCAT wasn't some video game with hidden points and bonus sections :p

^
u need to improve your eyesight.

apumic is right. i have a friend who scored a 48V, it was unfortunate obama won the nobel peace prize because my friend didnt pick him. he could have gotten a W!

^
u need to improve your eyesight.

apumic is right. i have a friend who scored a 48V, it was unfortunate obama won the nobel peace prize because my friend didnt pick him. he could have gotten a W!

Oh so sorry Bannie...I'm willing to guess the majority of the people on this forum would have the same reaction as me when hearing about bonus sections and hidden essays. It was some light humor but thanks for the attitude though... :)

on a lighter note you have motivated me to go play some video games...although I have a presentation to put together first...boo

Last edited:
Oh so sorry Bannie...I'm willing to guess the majority of the people on this forum would have the same reaction as me when hearing about bonus sections and hidden essays.

^That's only because most of the people here simply aren't good enough of premeds to score in the 45+ range. Nobody would have believed you could go on the castle in Super Mario 64 or beat Super Mario Bros 1 in <5 min 'til someone did it and let everyone they knew know about it. The MCAT bonus sections would be better known if you didn't have to sign a special non-disclosure agreement in order to see the special, experimental section. I guess our acquaintances from whom we've found these things out were breaking their agreement, but hopefully our identities can't be traced and it'll all be good. :xf: I'm personally shooting for a 48W....:cool:

Oh so sorry Bannie...I'm willing to guess the majority of the people on this forum would have the same reaction as me when hearing about bonus sections and hidden essays. Thanks for the attitude though...

Eh, actually I was pretty sure he was kidding and laughed out loud at your response.

Sorry....he said 48 and mentioned ridiculous hidden sections.

While we're at it, did you know gullible is spelled wrong in the dictionary?

Eh, actually I was pretty sure he was kidding and laughed out loud at your response.

Wait...really?! Which one?! /sarcasm

Nice try aggie...I must have not laid the sarcasm and humor on thick enough for you to see I'm not exactly gullible.

Nice try aggie...I must have not laid the sarcasm and humor on thick enough for you to see I'm not exactly gullible.

Hm, guess not. Apparently everyone else did - you should work on that. You won't get into medical school without excelling at communicating via internet forums.

Hm, guess not. Apparently everyone else did - you should work on that. You won't get into medical school without excelling at communicating via internet forums.

You're right- I was trying to make a light joke and for some odd reason people took it beyond that.

You're right- I was trying to make a light joke and for some odd reason people took it beyond that.

+pity+

O come on, now. We're just giving you a hard time.

+pity+

O come on, now. We're just giving you a hard time.

No violins! Just not used to being picked on on these forums thats all lol:)

Thats a funny smiley face btw lol

I would honestly be worried about your competency to be a doctor... and you ability to pass the boards. Have you considered another career?

^

wisdom

really. i hate to be the bearer of bad news but

med school is not a cake walk, if you can't study enough to get more than an 8 i have doubts you'll be ready for USMLE or the med school curriculum.

OP, I think you should confess to being a troll even if it's not true. You'll definitely get more respect than as some guy with an 8M.

I didn't even know that score was a theoretical possibility, I thought there was some floor on the MCAT. And who are those 28 med students who got less than a 14 on the MCAT? http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2008/mcatgpa-grid-3yrs-app-accpt.htm

Did they have raunchy sex with the dean of admissions?!!