Need advice/ help asap please! taking step third year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karen4317

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I needed advice on taking Step 1 third year. I am a DO student and have to take COMLEX (my date is august 20th) prior to rotations but can take step 1 whenever. I am really nervous about taking it within the next month or august because, due to some unfortunate circumstances, I was unable to prepare effectively until the past few weeks. I feel like the subjects I take some time on, I can retain pretty well and do well on when doing UWorld questions. However, I have MANY gaps in my knowledge still.

My rotations for third year start off a little harder (OB and EM), but then I have Peds, Psych, and FM. I was hoping to take the exam during my FM rotation, which would be around December!

Would you guys suggest taking it third year? If anybody has taken step 1 during third year, any advice would be appreciated! (I am also taking a little extra money out of loans to start one on one tutoring because I feel like I really need it!) I guess I just kind of need any encouragement and advice if possible! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I hear FM is pretty tough, especially the COMAT. Your best bet is to take it during psych or during an elective where you don't have to study for a COMAT.