Medical Need Advice for Re-application, SMP v. Certificate v. DIY Postbac

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a non-traditional student (graduated in 2017, degree in biomedical engineering). I've always wanted to go to medical school, but I spent the past 4 years working in healthcare, prepping for the MCAT etc. I applied in the 2020-2021 cycle and received 3 MD IIs and I'm on 3 WLs. I'm trying to figure out the best course of action if I don't get off a waitlist, and I'm looking for some advice.

The weakest part of my application is my GPA (cGPA: 3.48; sGPA: 3.37). I do have an upward trend (a few classes in my sophomore year really tanked my GPA: C in multivariable calculus, C- in calc-based physics II-- I retook this class once I had a better grasp of the math and got an A).

I just left my job, and if I'm not accepted to med school, I plan to take classes to enhance my academic profile. I've been looking at SMPS, 1 year masters/certificate programs (designed for pre-meds), and DIY post-bac options. The 1 yr certificate program or DIY post bac would be cheaper than an SMP, but how are these viewed by adcoms? If I did a DIY post-bac would I enroll in graduate-level courses? I would have to take a lot of credits to raise my undergrad GPA, so I don't think taking undergraduate courses would be helpful.

The other area I'm a little weak in is non-clinical service. I have some (~70-100 hours), but it was in undergrad and I haven't done any since graduating. (I've been working in health care and have had a very dynamic/unpredictable schedule).

My thoughts are, a DIY program may give me more flexibility to also volunteer, but I might be able to volunteer once a week with a certificate program too. I like the structure that the certificate program offers too, and I'd want to get a LOR from the program since I've been out of school for a few years. Any advice on these options?

Overall the rest of my app is strong. I took the MCAT in 2020 and got a 513 (128 chem/phys, 125 cars, 128 bio, 132 pysch/soc). I have extensive, unique clinical experience and good clinical volunteering. My school list was pretty appropriate overall. I only applied to one DO school and I applied late, so I know I should apply to more next cycle and earlier.
I think you are right on in your thinking. Personally, would do a year DIY post-bac. Don't worry about the GPA...the post-bac is to show you have changed. Ace your courses.

For non-clinical volunteering, get more hours doing something helping the less fortunate...food banks, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you so much for your response!

Is it best to take undergraduate, upper-level courses for the DIY post-bac? From what I've read, it seems like adcoms may be less interested in graduate programs since the grading is less standard/may be inflated.
yes

Status
Not open for further replies.