NEED ADVICE...Do re-applicants have better chance of getting in????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jasmine26

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently graduated from electrical engineering, due to some circumstances beyond my control my GPA in my first two years is low, I have letters from doctors/counsellors to explain my grades. For my last two years my GPA is around 3.8-3.9, however my overall GPA is not that great because of those two years. I also dont have any volunteering/clinical experience/shadowing. I have tons of engineering experience research, teaching, industrial experience, you name it, I even have a first author publication. But I dont think that will help me get into med. school. I have finished all my pre-reqs except organic chem, and I have a strong GPA 3.9/4.0 IFFFFF they dont use ANY of my engineering courses which I doubt.

Here's my dilemma, I would like to boost my Undergrad GPA, as well as get some volunteering and all that stuff done to improve my application. However I just started my masters in biomed. engineering, and am also working for a company, so I wont be able to devote as much time.

My question is: should I apply this summer for admission 2008, as an average applicant and re-apply fall 2009, or should I improve my GPA, volunteering etc, and apply for the first time in fall 2009?? The reason I ask this is I heard that re-applicants have a HIGH chance of getting in cause they are not only familiar with the process, but also have shown that they are consistant and really want to study medicine, by waiting another year to re-apply.
You should also know Im Canadian, so its very competitive for me to get in a US or Canadian school, so I really could use some advice.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I recently graduated from electrical engineering, due to some circumstances beyond my control my GPA in my first two years is low, I have letters from doctors/counsellors to explain my grades. For my last two years my GPA is around 3.8-3.9, however my overall GPA is not that great because of those two years. I also dont have any volunteering/clinical experience/shadowing. I have tons of engineering experience research, teaching, industrial experience, you name it, I even have a first author publication. But I dont think that will help me get into med. school. I have finished all my pre-reqs except organic chem, and I have a strong GPA 3.9/4.0 IFFFFF they dont use ANY of my engineering courses which I doubt.

Here's my dilemma, I would like to boost my Undergrad GPA, as well as get some volunteering and all that stuff done to improve my application. However I just started my masters in biomed. engineering, and am also working for a company, so I wont be able to devote as much time.

My question is: should I apply this summer for admission 2008, as an average applicant and re-apply fall 2009, or should I improve my GPA, volunteering etc, and apply for the first time in fall 2009?? The reason I ask this is I heard that re-applicants have a HIGH chance of getting in cause they are not only familiar with the process, but also have shown that they are consistant and really want to study medicine, by waiting another year to re-apply.
You should also know Im Canadian, so its very competitive for me to get in a US or Canadian school, so I really could use some advice.

Thanks in advance

No. You always want to get all your ducks in a row before you pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance
Your post is all over the place. Let me try to help you out.

1) Looks like you're getting things ready - you have a pub, you have some better grades (than your 1st two years), and you'll have some grad work that should seal up any questions about your ability to perform academically. That looks great.
2) You didn't mention anything about MCAT. If you're just starting your grad work, then you may not have the time to study for it. Consider getting your grad work started - get good grades there, get a grad project started - then start preparing for the MCAT.
3) You don't have any clinical experience. While it's not listed anywhere, every school I've heard of wants to see something here. There's no time limit (or minimum) for clinical experience, but you want to come away with some idea of what the profession is like (which is difficult because it's so varied) and a good idea of why you want to be a part of it.

Putting it all together, I'd say you have a full plate before adding in application worries. Get grad school under wraps, get some clinical experience, and prepare for the MCAT. This isn't a race; it pays to go through the process once and prepared instead of going through it multiple times unprepared.

As a fellow engineer, feel free to PM me about engineering and med school, or look through this forum for similar posts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Moving to re-applicants where folks who are re-applicants can post answers.

Reapplicants are successful when they can show that they've made significant progress on the weaknesses in their first applications. It sounds like you will have made that progress with your masters program. So there's the pro. On the other hand, people with little clinical experience are rarely successful in the application process. So that suggests that maybe you aren't ready to apply yet.

You need, NEED to make time to get the clinical experience.

ok im doing my research in breast cancer drug therapy so I will be involved with medical scientists and doctors, Does that qualify as clinical experience or clinical research?? someone told me it might only be considered research, I dont see the difference. Is clinical experience when you shadow a doctor?

ok im doing my research in breast cancer drug therapy so I will be involved with medical scientists and doctors, Does that qualify as clinical experience or clinical research?? someone told me it might only be considered research, I dont see the difference. Is clinical experience when you shadow a doctor?

Clinical experience refers to contact with patients in a health care setting. Some examples are: shadowing, working as a CNA, working as an EMS, volunteering in the hospital (usually), volunteering in a hospice, medical mission work. Clinical research often involves no patient contact.