Need Advice, Age 36, go for OT or OTA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

srgpanda

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm 36 and want to change careers from Accounting to Occupational Therapy. I only applied to one school for the OTA program starting this fall and did not make the cut. I have the Bachelors degree, but would need to take about 20 hours of pre-requisite courses for the MOT degree. So, my dilemma is this... One other school has an OTA program starting in January that I will apply to, but if I don't get into that school either, I've just wasted a year. I could start taking courses this fall and go ahead and apply to graduate programs just on the assumption I might get in, but that is a lot of money to shell out for classes I might not need. I want a lot of "hands on" work and I hear OTs do more desk work than OTA's. I don't want to go back to a desk job. I'd love to work in pediatrics because I love working with kids. I want a job that is very interactive, but yet not too stressful. When I get out of school, I'll be 38 (for an OTA) or 39-40 (for an OT). What effect will that have on me getting a job? I don't mind people telling me what to do if I'm not treated as lesser person, however, if being an OT is not much harder than being an OTA, then I'd might as well go through the OT program to earn the higher salary? Right? I'm really grasping at straws at the moment. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I would think these OTA programs have waiting lists, like most other medical professions. I could be wrong. Apply to the OTA program for Jan., but also start taking prereqs for OT. Let me tell you ALL medical profession have paperwork. I shadowed a woman that worked from 9:30 to 6 everyday and her schedule was 9:30-12:00 OT
12:00-1:00 LUNCH
1:00-3:00 MORE OT
3:00-6:00 PAPERWORK!

OTA profession seems less challenging to me, and does not really appeal to me. It depends what you want out of your career. I think maybe if you observe some OT's and even OTA's you will get an idea which one you would like better.

I think alot of people who want to go back to school have the same issue across medical fields. I don't know much about OTA, but maybe if you had to take less pre req's and less classes in general to obtain the certification it could be better. I think it really depends on how willing you are to get this degree. If you really like OT, then the classes won't be a waste of time and eventually you will get there...even if it's past the age you'd like to be at. In my opinion, you just need to weigh out where you want to be and how hard you're willing to go there. If you just want to be in the field but not go through as much, maybe the OTA is better for you. If you would like to sacrifice more time, effort, and money then maybe you can go the OT route and be satisfied knowing you did everything you could. Both jobs are respectable and it's your decision to choose the one that's the right fit for you, even if it's a step below someone else. Then again, I really don't know the true differences between OT and OTA - this is just a little advice =)

Members don't see this ad :)
The biggest difference b/w OT and OTA is that in OTAs are not taught theory behind treatment. Over time I'm sure many OTAs do pick up on why they are doing a patients prescribed treatment.

However if OT is something you really want to pursue go for it. These days very few ppl are retiring at 55 so you'll most likely be in the profession for a good 20+ years. Both programs are roughly 2-2.5 years. Definitely consider both options (OT/OTA) and maybe plan a time-line and budget to see which would fit you best. Good Luck =)

I am also getting a late start on my career change into OT. I am 37 and will beginning a OT program at the Unversity of Florida in August. It is hard to decide the path to take, I initially looked at an OTA program, but it was an 1.5 hour drive from where I live and I really want to challenge myself with the theory behind OT. I already have a masters degree in an unrelated field, and it just did not feel right to settle for an associate degree level job over a masters level job. Maybe you would feel the same as you already have a bachelors degree. I agree to start working on your prerequistes, check your local cc, they are usually cost effective and many classes can be taken online. Good luck.:)

Thank you so very much for the advice. I really do appreciate it. I think I'm going to start taking the pre-reqs and try to observe both OTs and OTAs more to get a feel for both sides. And I'll go ahead and apply for both. It seems like in my heart, I'm leaning more towards the OT position. I'll just start "walking" in that direction, make a plan, and see where everything leads. Thanks again!!

Hi, I'm 36 and want to change careers from Accounting to Occupational Therapy. I only applied to one school for the OTA program starting this fall and did not make the cut. I have the Bachelors degree, but would need to take about 20 hours of pre-requisite courses for the MOT degree. So, my dilemma is this... One other school has an OTA program starting in January that I will apply to, but if I don't get into that school either, I've just wasted a year. I could start taking courses this fall and go ahead and apply to graduate programs just on the assumption I might get in, but that is a lot of money to shell out for classes I might not need. I want a lot of "hands on" work and I hear OTs do more desk work than OTA's. I don't want to go back to a desk job. I'd love to work in pediatrics because I love working with kids. I want a job that is very interactive, but yet not too stressful. When I get out of school, I'll be 38 (for an OTA) or 39-40 (for an OT). What effect will that have on me getting a job? I don't mind people telling me what to do if I'm not treated as lesser person, however, if being an OT is not much harder than being an OTA, then I'd might as well go through the OT program to earn the higher salary? Right? I'm really grasping at straws at the moment. Any advice?

Just wanted to comment on some misconceptions of what OTs do vs OTAs. Both are vital to the treatment team. The OT supervises the OTA and writes the treatment plans, true, but it is far from being a desk job. OTs and OTAs collaborate together and both do treatment with the difference being, as others have said, that the OT has a more expansive knowledge of theory and does certain assessments that OTAs don't do. Definitely try to observe before you make any big decisions.

And by the way, 36 is NOT old! Neither is 40. You're only as old as you feel. I can tell you there are plenty of career-changers that do OT... I appreciate people who have been there and done that in another profession- they bring a different perspective to things.

Lots of luck to you!

This is really not a big issue. I'm 34, will be 35 this fall when I apply to programs, almost 36 when I start. I quit my job (a professional exempt position for which I had another masters degree) last year to take all my remaining prereqs. I thought and thought about it... am I too old, why would I throw away an established career, etc.. I'll be 38 at the youngest when I can finally get an OT job. But then I realized, I'll be 38, anyway. Shouldn't I be 38 and in a profession in which I have a genuine interest, rather than in the one I don't like? 38 is not much younger than 40. Personally I don't expect to have problems. I do look young for my age, apparently... several people at the hospital where I volunteer thought I could be no older than 25, and one person thought I was 21! They kind of scoff at the idea that I am "changing careers" - afterall, how could a 25 year old have much of a career to move away FROM? But anyway, regardless of how "old" you look, I think as long as you remain fit and energetic, you should have no problems. Added life experience may even give you a leg up over people with no real work experience.

I would go with what YOU think would be most fulfilling, which I suspect will be OT, not OTA. I just know that coming from one professional position I would regret training for what is essentially a "demotion" in status. (I just read the above comments and GatorOT has expressed my view perfectly.)

P.S. all the OTs I have shadowed so far were extremely hands-on. It was not all paperwork. They met with patient after patient.

I am 40 & have been a COTA for 12 years. I was pursuing pre-reqs for OTR, and received a letter from a local admissions department that I would be out a year sooner and make 60K as a COTA. They were half right.

Please be reminded that OT's aren't going to make more than 60K (that's with a long time in with cost of living compounded, and not leaving a place, beacuse a new place wont care that you have a lot of experience, only that you can carry your weight). If you are a decent accountant, you may be accustomed to a certian type of lifestyle that COTA will not support.

More importantly is reimbursement. COTA's are having a harder time working independently. In NYS it makes no sense to hire a COTA due to the medicaid supervision laws. There's enough paperwork to choke a horse. When I leave my post, my COTA position won't be replaced as it's rather useless to have an OT cosign every-single-treatment I do. It's draining and that I am graduating w/ my OT degree .. it couldn't come at a better time.

In the nursing home, OT's do Evals. They don't treat too much. IT's a desk job. If you are the 'extra' or overflow OT, an 'effieicient' nursing home will send the OT home if there are no evals to do, and let to COTA treat, as they make 20 dollars less an hour (when looking at the contract rate.) The day medicaid or care decides to mandate 'in the room' supervision (they tried once already)necessary for COTAs, most nursing homes wont bother w/ COTA's either.

The hospital is mostly OT's... this may vary but it's the trend. And in hospitals, they often pay a little less because they call themselves 'teaching hospitals' and you are benefitting from the experience they provide you, (as you make them 140 an eval you see a third, ah what an experience.)

Let me say that after being a COTA for over a decade, don't waste your time. In NY there were loopholes that let COTA's run like OT's but those days will soon be over too.

Furthermore, PT's, Rec Therapists, and Athletic Trainers are all claiming they are qualified to rehab people in the area of ADL's. AOTA is fighting a massive battle trying to keep state practice acts of these other professions encroaching on ours.
OT's rarely stay members of AOTA, and because they don't support their profession, we can barely lobby for what has been ours for so long. Talk to 5 OT's or COTA's and ask them when they stopped being a member of AOTA.... 4 will say "the year after they graduated" and give a littany of excuses why it's not worth it. Vermont physical trainers just got ADL's into their practice act, and MA is just a little south. Not good.

If youre gonna do it, go all the way. Be an OT, not an OTA.