Need Advice About UK Med Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDOCS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've recently applied to 4 British Med Schools, namely: Glasgow, Nottingham, Leicester, and Birmingham.
I have received an interview offer from Nottingham yesterday which prompted me to post a msg in this forum.
First off, I would like to get some more opinions (from current students would be fantastic!!) about the 4 schools I've applied to especially Nottingham.
Secondly, I have not received any contacts from the others i.e. Glgw, Lei, and Birm, I was wondering whether it is the norm. to contact students late....I'm a bit worried! Thirdly, I was wondering if any one out there had sat through one of Nottingham's interviews or any of the schools and if you could give me some advice.
Fourthly, does anyone know of economical or cheap fares to Nottingham e.g. rail or how to get there.....
Fifthly, this might sound dumb, but what's the dress code for interviews??? dress shirt & pants, blazer?
Lastly, does anyone know of residencies in the US that are definitely approved by RCPS(Canada) especially in anaesthesiology???

Any advice will be much appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

DDOCS said:
Hi, I've recently applied to 4 British Med Schools, namely: Glasgow, Nottingham, Leicester, and Birmingham.
I have received an interview offer from Nottingham yesterday which prompted me to post a msg in this forum.
First off, I would like to get some more opinions (from current students would be fantastic!!) about the 4 schools I've applied to especially Nottingham.
Secondly, I have not received any contacts from the others i.e. Glgw, Lei, and Birm, I was wondering whether it is the norm. to contact students late....I'm a bit worried! Thirdly, I was wondering if any one out there had sat through one of Nottingham's interviews or any of the schools and if you could give me some advice.
Fourthly, does anyone know of economical or cheap fares to Nottingham e.g. rail or how to get there.....
Fifthly, this might sound dumb, but what's the dress code for interviews??? dress shirt & pants, blazer?
Lastly, does anyone know of residencies in the US that are definitely approved by RCPS(Canada) especially in anaesthesiology???

Any advice will be much appreciated :)
Leicester Medical School interview right through until March so there is still plenty of time to hear from them. Dress code is smart formal so yes, a tie, dress shirt and suit is best. As for flights the nearest local airport is East Midlands. You can get connecting flights if your international lands in London. There is also a direct train from London St Pancras Station (journey is about 2 hours).

Good luck in your interview.

I know a bit about Glasgow. I applied there for entry in 2001, was interviewed and accepted the place. In the end I didn't go as I got in a place in Dublin.

The medical school is ancient and has an excellent reputation as does the University in general. The course is mostly taught by PBL now and Glasgow were one of the first advocates of PBL teaching the UK...so the PBL course there is fairly established by now. They have a brand new medical school building which is absolutely amazing!!!

I'm assuming you are applying as a graduate? Glasgow interview graduate applicants in March/April...so don't panic if you don't hear from them until February or March! The interview was not particularly stressful! The interview panel consisted of 2 consultants who were absolute gentlemen and genuinely seemed interested in what I had to say. I was asked about my motivation for medicine, why Glasgow, what I knew about the course (know about PBL...they will ask you about this!!!!!), my work experience, my research, hobbies etc. Nothing out of the ordinary! Just make sure you have a very clear idea why you want to do medicine and why in Glasgow and you'll be fine.

Competition for non-EU places is tough but the hardest part is getting invited for the interview! If you've anymore questions I'll do my best to answer them. Good luck!!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Kev (UK) said:
Leicester Medical School interview right through until March so there is still plenty of time to hear from them. Dress code is smart formal so yes, a tie, dress shirt and suit is best. As for flights the nearest local airport is East Midlands. You can get connecting flights if your international lands in London. There is also a direct train from London St Pancras Station (journey is about 2 hours).

Good luck in your interview.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for replying. Now, something about the London St. Pancras Station....is it right by Heathrow International? Also, do you know anything about Nottingham....if not thats ok. :)

Trinners said:
I know a bit about Glasgow. I applied there for entry in 2001, was interviewed and accepted the place. In the end I didn't go as I got in a place in Dublin.

The medical school is ancient and has an excellent reputation as does the University in general. The course is mostly taught by PBL now and Glasgow were one of the first advocates of PBL teaching the UK...so the PBL course there is fairly established by now. They have a brand new medical school building which is absolutely amazing!!!

I'm assuming you are applying as a graduate? Glasgow interview graduate applicants in March/April...so don't panic if you don't hear from them until February or March! The interview was not particularly stressful! The interview panel consisted of 2 consultants who were absolute gentlemen and genuinely seemed interested in what I had to say. I was asked about my motivation for medicine, why Glasgow, what I knew about the course (know about PBL...they will ask you about this!!!!!), my work experience, my research, hobbies etc. Nothing out of the ordinary! Just make sure you have a very clear idea why you want to do medicine and why in Glasgow and you'll be fine.

Competition for non-EU places is tough but the hardest part is getting invited for the interview! If you've anymore questions I'll do my best to answer them. Good luck!!! :luck:

Thanks for replying. No, I'm not a graduate. I'm actually a Canadian high school student. I was told from Glasgow that I could apply if I had an average above 90%. I know someone who was in the same boat as I am in just a few years back who had a 94% avg. Thanks for the tips. Would you happen to know about the other schools?

DDOCS said:
Thanks for replying. No, I'm not a graduate. I'm actually a Canadian high school student. I was told from Glasgow that I could apply if I had an average above 90%. I know someone who was in the same boat as I am in just a few years back who had a 94% avg. Thanks for the tips. Would you happen to know about the other schools?

All UK medical schools are equally good! It really boils down to which location you can see yourself living and studying in for the next 5+ years. Have you considered applying to Irish medical schools? There's a couple of Canadian highschool graduates in my class...

Trinners said:
All UK medical schools are equally good! It really boils down to which location you can see yourself living and studying in for the next 5+ years. Have you considered applying to Irish medical schools? There's a couple of Canadian highschool graduates in my class...

No, I did not. I did not realize so many Canadians were in Ireland and the opportunities available. Too late I guess.

Tuition for Irish medical schools is probably more than the UK and the cost of living in Ireland (Dublin especially) is absolutely astronomical!! There's pros and cons to both Ireland and the UK...

DDOCS said:
Firstly, I would like to thank you for replying. Now, something about the London St. Pancras Station....is it right by Heathrow International? Also, do you know anything about Nottingham....if not thats ok. :)
St Pancras station is not near Heathrow but you could get there by a connecting London Underground train on the Piccadilly and Northern lines. The journey would take about an hour.

I know a little about Nottingham but i am at Leicester (30 miles away). However, I can say that we do have a few Canadian students here who came straight from high school.

The UK medical school site would be a good place to check out:

http://www.medschoolguide.co.uk

They have a forum dedicated to Nottingham Medical School and a chat room that is usually open in the evening (UK evenings) and a regular in there is a fourth year student at Nottingham.

Kev (UK) said:
St Pancras station is not near Heathrow but you could get there by a connecting London Underground train on the Piccadilly and Northern lines. The journey would take about an hour.

I know a little about Nottingham but i am at Leicester (30 miles away). However, I can say that we do have a few Canadian students here who came straight from high school.

The UK medical school site would be a good place to check out:

http://www.medschoolguide.co.uk

They have a forum dedicated to Nottingham Medical School and a chat room that is usually open in the evening (UK evenings) and a regular in there is a fourth year student at Nottingham.

WOW AN HOUR AWAY ON THE SUBWAY!!! Yikes. I know it costs about $2000 Canadian to go to East Midlands Airport but the train is MUCH cheaper. Would you happen to know another route to Nottingham from Heathrow or close to Heathrow with minimal costs.

DDOCS said:
WOW AN HOUR AWAY ON THE SUBWAY!!! Yikes. I know it costs about $2000 Canadian to go to East Midlands Airport but the train is MUCH cheaper. Would you happen to know another route to Nottingham from Heathrow or close to Heathrow with minimal costs.
Sorry no. All trains to Nottingham are from London St Pancras. You could always hire a car if you can drive or get a taxi to the railway station but that would be VERY expensive. The subway journey is not so bad- much of it is overland rather than in the tunnels! I can not think of another viable option other than fly to East Midlands Airport. A coach would also mean a trip into Central London as coaches depart from London Victoria Station.

Kev (UK) said:
Sorry no. All trains to Nottingham are from London St Pancras. You could always hire a car if you can drive or get a taxi to the railway station but that would be VERY expensive. The subway journey is not so bad- much of it is overland rather than in the tunnels! I can not think of another viable option other than fly to East Midlands Airport. A coach would also mean a trip into Central London as coaches depart from London Victoria Station.

I was wondering if the London Underground is available at Heathrow International, that goes to London St.Pancras via Picadilly or Northern lines?

DDOCS said:
I was wondering if the London Underground is available at Heathrow International, that goes to London St.Pancras via Picadilly or Northern lines?
Yes it is. It will take you door to door.

Kev (UK) said:
Yes it is. It will take you door to door.

KevUk do you go to an Irish or Uk med school? Oh Yeah I got an Interview offer from Leicester today!!! :)

DDOCS said:
KevUk do you go to an Irish or Uk med school? Oh Yeah I got an Interview offer from Leicester today!!! :)
I am a student at Leicester. Congratulations on the interview:)

Kev (UK) said:
I am a student at Leicester. Congratulations on the interview:)

OH My apologizes. Super Duper...I ask you some questions about Leicester then.

1. What year are you?
2. Is it true that Leicester is one of the best med schools in UK as stated in The Guardian?
3. I remembered you saying there were several Canadian High School students in your class, how are they doing in terms of academics and are they generally managing well (lifestyle etc.)? Would you happen to know where they come from in Canada?
4. How's the learning atmosphere in Leicester and social life too of course...parties...haha?
5. What's the cost of living in Leicester per month?

If you don't mind I have some other questions too but I'll save them for a little bit later on. Thanks KevUK

1. What year are you?

Second

2. Is it true that Leicester is one of the best med schools in UK as stated in The Guardian?

Yes it has a good reputation as do all UK medical schools. It did score 23/24 on asessment of its teaching to students. But I don't recommend making any decisions on the league tables as they vary and the teaching standards are high at all 30 UK schools. You decision needs to be based on the course structure which does vary but Leicesters is excellent!!!

3. I remembered you saying there were several Canadian High School students in your class, how are they doing in terms of academics and are they generally managing well (lifestyle etc.)? Would you happen to know where they come from in Canada?

I do not know them personally but I will see if I can get you their email so you can ask them questions. One is President of the Medical School Students Union, so yes, they are managing very well!

4. How's the learning atmosphere in Leicester and social life too of course...parties...haha?

The learning environment is great, the lecturers are very helpful, good library facilities, one of the best anatomy labs in the UK, good library facilities, computers etc. Socially, well its not London, but there is a good student social scene, great sports facilties etc etc

5. What's the cost of living in Leicester per month?

Much cheaper than London. There is plenty of good student accommodation.

Hey!!
Sorry to boder you, but I have some questions about Leichester too. I am planing to come on summer in one volontaring camp there. I need information how far it is from Cheltenham and what is the cost of train or bus return or one way ticket. Thx!! If I have some more questions I will be free to ask, OK??
malutka

malutka said:
Hey!!
Sorry to boder you, but I have some questions about Leichester too. I am planing to come on summer in one volontaring camp there. I need information how far it is from Cheltenham and what is the cost of train or bus return or one way ticket. Thx!! If I have some more questions I will be free to ask, OK??
malutka
Leicester is almost a hundred miles from Cheltenham. I have no idea how nuch train or bus travel would be.