Need additional schools to apply to, here are my stats and schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeriousPreDent

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To make it quick b/c I have been on vacation and have a lot of paper work to finish immediately.
GPA: Under 3.0
DAT: AA 21 PAT 15 (going to take it again b/c I know I can do better)
I have about 6 LOR's too.

Schools applying too and please feel free to add more: NYU, Columbia, UOP, USC, U Colorado, UCONN, U Florida, NOVA, U Maryland, BU, Tufts, Detroit Mercy, Creighton, UNLV, UMDNJ, SUNY (both), Case, U Penn, U Pitt, Temple, and Marquette.

I know its a lot but I don't want to miss another year. Thanks in advance for the help

Members don't see this ad.

With a sub 3.0 GPA and 15 PAT some of those schools are longshots... i.e. Columbia, UOP, UCONN, U Florida, U Maryland, Stony, Penn..

With your current stats your best shot is NYU and BU, which you have already applied. Maybe you could add Indiana?

However, I think your best option would be to take some more courses and raise your GPA instead of adding more schools to your already extended list.

Just my opinion

S1

You can pretty much rule out UoP. That school is all about the dat, and a 15 on the PAT wont fly with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definetly re-take the DAT. With your GPA you need to do well on all sections of the DAT. If you had a high GPA, some low scores can be forgiven. Good Luck! :D

thanks for all the replies but no one seems to be answering my questions...I know I need to score higher on the PAT and I indicated that I am going to be taking it again. I normally score 21-25 on Kaplans PAT and I expect to score around 18-19 on the actual DAT. I will also be taking classes next semester to boost my GPA but what I need from you guys is some additional schools that are open to underachievers and take into consideration that I worked throughout college 30-35 hours per week while maintaing a full time course load....

The reason why i didn't answer your question is because it looks like you have all the GPA forgiving schools on your list like NYU and BU.

One piece of advice, cross off UF from your list of schools. You will just be waisting your time with a sub-3.0 GPA, even if you're a Florida resident.

are any of those schools in-state?

if u have a low gpa..then you HAVE to kick arse on the DAT...
..otherwise u can't make the "i was a lazy student then but i know the material now" excuse.

just the cold hard truth.

Hey dude .........you can't always believe what some of these bozos say on this forum because what worked for them may not work for you and the other way around............apply to all the southern state schools.........you need to call the school and talk to the dean of admissions personally to see what you should do..........alot of getting into dental school is who you know........................YOU CAN GET IN for 2005...........don't listen to what these guys are saying......UoP is a "who you know school"..........

i used to think that i could have some input in threads like these. until what i found out afew days ago.

i just found out that one of my classmates applied to IU late Nov last year, interviewed late dec, had 13 QR and 13 PAT (yes 13's) and got in. now i know that this person is a minority student and has an ok GPA but getting in with a 13 in PAT?

so basically i don't know what to tell pre dents anymore other than good luck.

another one of my now close friends/classmates applied at the end of JAN, was interviewed in feb and got in in march. the only difference here was that this person has stats better than GOD.

jaremy said:
Hey dude .........you can't always believe what some of these bozos say on this forum because what worked for them may not work for you and the other way around............apply to all the southern state schools.........you need to call the school and talk to the dean of admissions personally to see what you should do..........alot of getting into dental school is who you know........................YOU CAN GET IN for 2005...........don't listen to what these guys are saying......UoP is a "who you know school"..........

I speak for all the "bozos" when I say welcome to SDN.

hey.......you may not be a bozo...a bozo is a person that gives bad advise.........who knows....I could be a bozo.......thanks for the welcome

jaremy said:
apply to all the southern state schools.........

You watch when this guy doesn't get an interview from any one the southern state schools, then we'll see who the bozo is.

(No offence to the OP, you just have a much better shot at the big privates)

PERFECT3435 said:
i used to think that i could have some input in threads like these. until what i found out afew days ago.

i just found out that one of my classmates applied to IU late Nov last year, interviewed late dec, had 13 QR and 13 PAT (yes 13's) and got in. now i know that this person is a minority student and has an ok GPA but getting in with a 13 in PAT?

Great story Perfect, as it goes to show that "you never know what can happen" still, the OP may or may not be a minority and that does come into play when adcoms are making decisions...